Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3g vodafone card, sh*Te gprs speed!

• 23-01-2007 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

ok folks,

got a vodafone card today and was sick of the dial up nonsense from eicrom, so i thought this would be miles better. but its probably as bad, if not worse than what i get with dial up.
    unfreakin real. the joys of the sticks!

says im connected at 236k, speed is a joke, so giving this back pronto.

btw, location is north kerry. what a joke:rolleyes:

ps: i should mention that i can pick up 3 or 4 3g bars on my 3 phone......amazingly enough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

legs11 wrote:
    ok folks,

got a vodafone card today and was sick of the dial up nonsense from eicrom, so i thought this would be miles better. but its probably as bad, if not worse than what i get with dial up.
    unfreakin real. the joys of the sticks!

says im connected at 236k, speed is a joke, so giving this back pronto.

btw, location is north kerry. what a joke:rolleyes:

ps: i should mention that i can pick up 3 or 4 3g bars on my 3 phone......amazingly enough

well if it is one of the USB Modems there is a 14day money back guarantee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

k or kb or KB?

what speed were you downloading @?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you're getting bars of 3G coverage, Vodafone probably have a temporary network issue in your area, as it's usually very fast, almost as speedy as DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

He has a "3" phone. A wild stab in the dark, but if you're getting good 3G signal with 3 then perhaps you should try their data card? You're obviously only getting GPRS speeds with Vodafone.

I missed that, thought he was saying he had a 3G phone.

If that's the case, Blaster99, you're probably right: he may be getting a 3G signal only from 3, in which case only the 3G product from 3 (and not from Vodafone) is going to give him 3G speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Check out the coverage map on their website and see if you "should" have coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

right lads,

i got a 3 phone alright, and get a pretty good 3g signal. i thought because of this i would get a 3g signal with the data card, even if its from vodafone.
    the speeds im getting are ridiculous, web pages take ages to load for god sake.
    i cant get a 3 data card, i got a xps m1710, no type 2 slot, why dont people make goddamn express cards, helloooo its 2007!!

I've told 3 about that as well! Practically NO new laptops have PCMCIA slots anymore, and 3 do sell ExpressCard's and USB dongles in other countries!

But we get old crap that will only work in ancient laptops. My last laptop with a PCMCIA slot I got rid off well over a year ago.

BTW, you have a 14 day return policy with Vodafone I think. You could ask them if they'll be expanding coverage in your area as well, I'd recommend calling data support. I don't have their number to hand, but it's an 1850 number.

As far as 3, the only option with them I guess would be to get their Motorola V3xx phone, which has a built in 3.6 Mbps HSDPA modem, and use that phone as a modem. It's really hilarious how 3 only offer solutions for people with ancient laptops! LOL! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I suppose because of the walled garden you can't just hook your highspeed phone up to your laptop via bluetooth or cable? You'll be locked in the 3 portal?

• Advertisement

ok lads,

can anyone clarify the last comment, ?
    can you take advantage of the moto v3xxx hight speed modem to go surfing?
    or will you be just in the 3 portal?

i would like to use this on the N93, my next phone, but 3 are clamping down on it i heard.

yes, it is a joke that they have no express cards. what spanners they are.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I suppose because of the walled garden you can't just hook your highspeed phone up to your laptop via bluetooth or cable? You'll be locked in the 3 portal?

You won't be locked to the 3 walled garden if you buy their broadband SIM card and use it with the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You won't be locked to the 3 walled garden if you buy their broadband SIM card and use it with the phone.
    but will they let you do that? i'd say they won't let you buy the sim only and you'd have to buy the v3xx as well as the data card. and even then it mightn't work. best confirm it with a few customer care agents before tying yourself into a contract.

in fact, get it in writing

The data card is only €49, so you can sell it on eBay and use the V3xx. They can't stop you buying the V3xx with a pay as you go SIM card.

Alternatively what you could do is buy the Huawei E220 unlocked and SIM-free online from expansys: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=141528

It's pricey though, and would probably be cheaper to just buy the V3xx on prepay and use the SIM card with that.

The data card is only €49, so you can sell it on eBay and use the V3xx. They can't stop you buying the V3xx with a pay as you go SIM card.
    but will the 3 firmware on the v3xx allow it to be used as a modem? it might do but i'd definitely want to test it before tying myself into a year contract. i suppose you can use the 14 day money back guarantee to try it out

also, i doubt anyone would buy the datacard since it can only use a 3 ireland sim and anyone who could use it (people who have 3 data sims) will already have the card. maybe people who've broken their own..?

folks,

could the N73, (not N93!) be used as a modem rather than the moto razr Vxxx?
    and how do you go about getting a 3 broadband sim card, can this cover voice and data ? what would happen if someone called you and your downloading ?!!

Yes, however the N73 will only give you a 384kbps connection, whereas with the V3xx you will get a 3.6mbps connection.

In other words, it'll be almost 10 times slower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 alkalinemono

Blaster99 wrote:
    He has a "3" phone. A wild stab in the dark, but if you're getting good 3G signal with 3 then perhaps you should try their data card? You're obviously only getting GPRS speeds with Vodafone.
    correct me if im wrong but i thought 3 were subletting thier network from vodafone much like the way meteor was from o2 along the west coast....

correct me if im wrong but i thought 3 were subletting thier network from vodafone much like the way meteor was from o2 along the west coast....
    i shall indeed correct you :p 3 has about 80% 3g coverage of their own by population. the coverage they get from vodafone is only in areas where they don't have coverage and its only 2g. they're not allowed on vodafone's 3g network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

What's the coverage for the vodaphone 3g card like in meath, was thinking of getting this instead of eircom dial up, the map says I've full coverage in my area, what kinda speeds can I get?

it's what 45yoyos a month or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

40 actaually

im only in gprs area[i checked webasite map] so if i get this modem[vodafone] will i get better than dial up,or at worst equal?

sure if its worst,or not great, i can leave it back and get a full refund[incl installiation fee i assume]?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

I got a vodaphone modem a few weeks ago, I'm not in a 3G area so only get a gprs signal after a bit of arsing around trying to find the best places in the house for a decent signal, i'm pretty pleased with it.

My eircon line would connect at 12-24kb and would drop a connection most times. plus i've had the line on for 2 months and its aleady been down twice (dodgy old rural line)

Im getting around 40kb down and up with the vodaphone service, the 5gb monthly limit seems generous enough if you are using msn messenger or similar stuff then its perfect as you arent paying by the minute, you could leave it running msn forever and you would hit anynear the monthly limit.

I've also been in an area with 3G coverage and I was amazed by how fast it was. getting around 1.5 mbit

If theres no broadband where you are then I would recomend it, eircon have no interest in rural lines so the exchanges arent likely to be upgraded, vodaphone on the other hand have invested and still are investing.

theres always the 14 day money back if it doesnt work out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

folks,

I'm finding this one hard to follow! Are we talking Kb (Kilobits) or KB (Kilobytes)?

There is quite a difference. If you are getting 40KB / sec, this sounds right for the 3G speed but 40Kb/sec is definitely GPRS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

To use the three data card you can either buy a PCMCIA/PCI adaptor - about €39 www.peats.ie or better still egt a USB PCMCIA adaptor - best price i found was fro www.roalan.com in UK. €95 and very quick delivery. - Gives you total portability for datacards.

Advertisement