Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Eve Universe Politics...

Options
  • 23-01-2007 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

So i'm flying around in my manticore and looking at the Eve Map with different sovereignty selections, and I start to think how big the whole Eve Universe is and that there must be 100's of things happening everyday that affect the balance of power in one system/region. And i'm wondering how many people in Eve realise what roles they play in the universe of Eve, or how many care for that matter.

From Forum Propaganda to "Proof or stfu" actions like the killing of the ASCN titan (which could be indicated as the final blow to the largest alliance in the game). I for one complained about macro miners when I was starting Eve but then I was told that without them mining all the lower base minerals that the prices in eve for say tritianium would/could sky rocket. Its a big universe and the fact that 99% of the situations in Eve are player generated is what I think keeps Eve fresh and gives it a longer life span than other games.

Do you understand the politics of the Eve Universe? Do you even care?

Anyway, id like to hear any and all opinions on how you think of the Eve Universe and its 'Politics'

(My two isk) :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't understand the economics/politics but they interest me. The forums are a bit painful though, very few people grasp the basics of economics, nevermind are able to apply them to a very complicated system.

As in with real life economics, after a while you get better at spotting when people are 'wrong' but you don't get much closer to actually being able to grasp what's going on in anything but a very general way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Exactly, its so huge that to fully comprehend it is a profession in itself, one that requires many, many people to gather info and make informed decisions.

I once had a conversation with a pilot who ran his little mini corp based purely on selling and buying ore. A long time eve player he knew alot of others in deep space and was able to tell how wars would affect mineral prices. His admittance was that it was a very small profit, on average less than 1% but he just did it for the crack, and to pay the bills.

Like a real economy exploiting a weakness will in itself weaken its leverage.

Say that the macro miners leave (because they developed a soul) Trit prices will increase making it more profitable to mine Veldspar, then more people will rush to fill this gap and make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In general you can get by without the politics unless your already in it.

Only time I check to see whos warring with who is when I need to transport cargo into that area of space, or if I need to know where a Market has opened up (most traders go jita).

Also getting a general jist of the politics in each major corp can help in faking your way through 0.0 space or realising which ones are complete idiots and which ones would of raped your corpse before you even realised what was going on.

Trade PvP is interesting too and although rarely gets a mention in the front of the politics (thats normally wars) has in a number of cases influenced the politics of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

I've never had to confront EvE politics as yet spending most of my time in Empire running PvE missions & a splash and dash of mining now and then. Unless your in local-sec downwards alliances and politics are not much of an issue for day to day play for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My image of Eve politics is essentially composed of two thing: A huge red blob in the south, and everything else that its slowly consuming.

• Advertisement

heres a little bit of interesting "politics"

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0701/State_of_the_Goonion_Jan26th.mp3

Its a speech by the Goonswarm president on their upcoming offensive asainst LV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Jumping jesus thats a bit to hardcore for me 0o also how was that released to the public ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

bizmark wrote:
    Jumping jesus thats a bit to hardcore for me 0o also how was that released to the public ?

Which is why its not like you can casually take over the systems, because there are people in this game that take it waaaay too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bizmark wrote:

My favourite outtake: "They are DOOOMED!"

bizmark wrote:
    most likely by a spy on their vent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's all rather fascinating really. I like that there is politics... politics is so easily manipulated because it's human.

Having said that, as a newbie I haven't been effected by any major politics yet, what I know is very little and it comes from asking questions in conversations... but I stilll don't know who owns what. Such things aren't sign posted and I can imagine players can be at it for quite some time without realising all this stuff goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

I love when people take it this seriously. Its all about pride man. If I was a head in one of the big Eve alliances I'd be taking it damn serious too. Kill the infidels!

I don't pay much attention to Eve politics but living in 0.0 kinda forces it on you whether you like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Maddzy wrote:
    I don't pay much attention to Eve politics but living in 0.0 kinda forces it on you whether you like it or not.

Yeah have agree with you there... one day your happy leaving in 0.0 and the next BoB or some such Alliance is kindly asking you to leave or forcing you out via the "Scram Bam, thank-you Maam" pew! pew! pew! POP!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Yeah have agree with you there... one day your happy leaving in 0.0 and the next BoB or some such Alliance is kindly asking you to leave or forcing you out via the "Scram Bam, thank-you Maam" pew! pew! pew! POP!

That can happen. Thing about 0.0 is the only way you can live there is under the control of some alliance. Its difficult to simply move into a 0.0 system by yourselves.

Living under an alliance's control (either by joining the alliance or renting space from them) means you have to fight who they fight and blue who they blue. And that means politics :(

Speaking of BOB

The Quaff is hitting the intakes in the south,

BOB just decided to help LV against Goonswarm, Thats BOB and LV vs. everybody else in the south except AAA.

In total about 5000 pilots

Advertisement