Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atari Jaguar - Anyone else sick of it!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

Atari Jaguar
    Sarky wrote:
    carlweathers.jpg

tbh.

This is getting stupid to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

sonofsam wrote:
    This is getting stupid to be honest.

no, not yet, give it time though

and while I'm at it

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Lil Kitten wrote:
    I saw some mod has "atari jaguar" in her profile. She's 15 like! Born in the fekn 90's how does she even know what one is?

Leave Piste alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

seamus wrote:
    Poll corrected.

This is the only time I've ever found Atari Jaguar to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

This thread certainly illustrates how boards.ie has changed this millennium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Atari Jaguar
    Also, those Gathering cards are equally as stupid in my opinion, like the Atari Jaguar thing they just aren't funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Atari Jaguar
    cornflakes yet again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a feeling that people who dislike 'Atari Jaguar' in polls have missed the point. When I started this reply, I thought I'd try and shed some light on its use by comparing it to Betamax, but the fact is if you don't remember what an Atari Jaguar is, you won't remember Betamax.

Those of you who do recall the Atari Jaguar will understand that the option represents the following opinion:

"Don't know. Or at least I could know but I don't care. This whole poll is just a runner up really, isn't it? I do kind of have an opinion, but you haven't given me the option to express it in your poll and I'm too lazy to start ranting on this thread about how you should make your poll more comprehensive. Suffice to say that I think your topic is a naff non-runner and the only reason I'm posting on it at all is that I'm bored at work."

Using Atari Jaguar is just far more succinct. As a poll option, it would be interchangeable with Betamax, Wranglers, the second littlest hobo, Pepsi, Euro Disney, the Milennium Dome, Naomi Cambell's book 'Swan' and very possibly the Nintendo Game Cube.

...see the point yet?

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    I hardly think the large issue with Atari Jaguar is that 'nobody gets it'. We do, at least, most of us do generally speaking, and it still isn't funny.

You don't need to 'remember' Betamax or Atari Jaguar to understand what they are...

I would prefer a 'Don't know/care' option in a poll rather then Atari Jaguar, and what's worse, is that people, particular on AH, start polls with the AJ option just to follow the trend already set by this - what is, in my opinion - s stupid reference completely devoid of humour at this stage.

Fine, it can be funny the very odd time. But every second thread and every poll marked by 'Atari Jaguar' and 'Jaguar FTW!!1' is just....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

HavoK wrote:
    I hardly think the large issue with Atari Jaguar is that 'nobody gets it'. We do, at least, most of us do generally speaking, and it still isn't funny.......

......in my opinion - s stupid reference completely devoid of humour at this stage.

Fine, it can be funny the very odd time. But every second thread and every poll marked by 'Atari Jaguar' and 'Jaguar FTW!!1' is just....

Again, IMHO it's not meant to be funny, at least I hope not. More of a 'I'm after opening this thread and I'm going to vote even though I don't give a fiddlers'

#3rd post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52672051&postcount=3

Can't see the fuss TBH.

Atari Jaguar
    See that's the problem right there, most people who use it do think it's funny, as is actually indicated by the increasingly amount of relatively new usrs coining the phrase in both threads and polls generally speaking. Otherwise, why would they use it? If they genuinely don't care, why not just include a 'I don't care option'?

How did it come about, anyway? Did somebody mention it a few years ago and everyone sat around in their Star Trek t-shirts, laughing and trying to outdo each other with 'funny' Jaguar placements? Or what? You don't see users in other forums using options like 'pentium 4 lol' or 'mega cd' or whatever the hell you want. It's gotten just too old at this stage and in my opinion it makes any user who types the words 'Atari Jaguar ftw' an idiot in my eyes, somebody who amuses themselves but noone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I dont bother to include it in my polls
    you need it on some sites/forums that do not allow you to see the results until after you vote but since you can click "see poll results" it makes it more for nastalga sakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

the second littlest hobo

More nostalgia tears wiped from eye. I loved that Dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Trilla wrote:
    To be honest Im not a fan of anything really geeky n nerdy like that. Don get me wrong, boards can be great most of the time... but things like Atari Jaguar, or FTW, or trolling, or especially threads like "what hand do you scratch your arse with" kinda does my head in. Abbreviations are good (like Ott, tbh, etc) but nerd talk is a little too much

Then...
    Trilla wrote:
    cornflakes yet again

Confusion reigns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

Atari Jaguar
    HavoK wrote:
    See that's the problem right there, most people who use it do think it's funny, as is actually indicated by the increasingly amount of relatively new usrs coining the phrase in both threads and polls generally speaking. Otherwise, why would they use it? If they genuinely don't care, why not just include a 'I don't care option'?

How did it come about, anyway? Did somebody mention it a few years ago and everyone sat around in their Star Trek t-shirts, laughing and trying to outdo each other with 'funny' Jaguar placements? Or what? You don't see users in other forums using options like 'pentium 4 lol' or 'mega cd' or whatever the hell you want. It's gotten just too old at this stage and in my opinion it makes any user who types the words 'Atari Jaguar ftw' an idiot in my eyes, somebody who amuses themselves but noone else.

Loving your work havok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

Philistines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It might not be as funny after the first 50 times, but...... it's ours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Atari Jaguar - long dead and buried, just like the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

there is a joke attached to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Atari Jaguar
    It's an in-joke. It's not supposed to be funny after the first time you hear it, but it's a community thing now, like slagging netwhizkid or saying "Hello Bubbles" when someone is trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Crucifix wrote:
    It's an in-joke. It's not supposed to be funny after the first time you hear it, but it's a community thing now, like slagging netwhizkid or saying "Hello Bubbles" when someone is trolling.

Good old WetPissKid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The coolest thing about this thread is that even without it being rigged, Atari Jaguar still wins by a mile. It takes me back to the day I installed Opera for one reason and that was because it was the only browser that could post polls on boards.

And that poll was on the Games forum where I asked which of the new generation of consoles would win. Atari Jaguar was the last option and was the first ever use of it on boards.ie. As the years passed and Atari Jaguar fell into common usage I bought one from a boards.ie member for 40 euro. To this day I have never used it, as I have no games for it. It merely sits on a shelf, it's logo emblazened on it under Jaguar eyes.

Oh and I started the Hello Bubbles thing too. :p

I wub boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

It's part of boards life at this stage. We've all seen it so many times it dosen't bother alot of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

No
    amp wrote:
    And that poll was on the Games forum where I asked which of the new generation of consoles would win. Atari Jaguar was the last option and was the first ever use of it on boards.ie. As the years passed and Atari Jaguar fell into common usage I bought one from a boards.ie member for 40 euro. To this day I have never used it, as I have no games for it. It merely sits on a shelf, it's logo emblazened on it under Jaguar eyes.

Was just about to ask where the thing came from. And now that you've told us it's still... weird. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its interesting that the ones who say its stale and old and has outgrown its welcome are the ones who havnt been here that long. While those who have been here since before time began accept it for what it is (a ever standing *this poll is stupid/pointless/has no relevence to me* statement).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

HavoK wrote:

I can barely move for the irony of the man with over 10,000 posts ranting about how nerdy the bulletin board is. Burn your star-trek t-shirt on the first of Jan did you?

Atari Jaguar
    I can barely move for the irony of the man with over 10,000 posts ranting about how nerdy the bulletin board is. Burn your star-trek t-shirt on the first of Jan did you?

How is that ironic? I was tying those attributes to what I clearly stated was my opinion of people who think using Atari Jaguar is funny, not even funny, but just people in general who go around posting 'Atari FTW' and all that. I didn't say anywhere about boards being a bastion of nerds, why, is that what you think?

It's a pretty strong affiliation, Star Trek, with the stereotypical image of a 'nerd' alongside other things, hence why I used it.

And if I've ever burned any Star Trek t-shirts, they sure as hell weren't mine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

No
    HavoK wrote:

Zing! :D

who thinks Atari Jaguar is funny?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mossy Monk wrote:
    who thinks Atari Jaguar is funny?

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

gucci wrote:
    the barcode batteler was way better anyways....think it deserves its place among polls
    Awesome. Totally awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Its interesting that the ones who say its stale and old and has outgrown its welcome are the ones who havnt been here that long. While those who have been here since before time began accept it for what it is (a ever standing *this poll is stupid/pointless/has no relevence to me* statement).
    I think a lot of the newer people get it as well, tbh.

On another board a couple of years back it would have been normal to use WGAF? (Who gives a f***?) ... same difference, really, but to someone seeing it for the first time, WGAF? probably didn't make much more sense.

HavoK wrote:
    How is that ironic? I was tying those attributes to what I clearly stated was my opinion of people who think using Atari Jaguar is funny, not even funny, but just people in general who go around posting 'Atari FTW' and all that. I didn't say anywhere about boards being a bastion of nerds, why, is that what you think?

It's a pretty strong affiliation, Star Trek, with the stereotypical image of a 'nerd' alongside other things, hence why I used it.

And if I've ever burned any Star Trek t-shirts, they sure as hell weren't mine...

holy sh*t you got very defensive there...Feeling a tad insecure about yourself?

I think a lot of the newer people get it as well, tbh.

I have no doubt people get it. What I am questioning is that the people who are making a big deal about it being *old* have not been around very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

No
    Old in that context just means your sick of seeing it.

For example bebo can be "old" if you've only been using it for six months and have grown tired of it. Someone who was using it from the start might still love it, they might not see it as 'old' at all, but it doesn't invalidate any other opinions.

Old in that context just means your sick of seeing it.

For example bebo can be "old" if you've only been using it for six months and have grown tired of it. Someone who was using it from the start might still love it, they might not see it as 'old' at all, but it doesn't invalidate any other opinions.

true...

I guess I cant see how it's so intrusive that it has gotten old to new users so quickly.

actually now that I think about it, last I can remember polls were banned from After Hours...shows how much I pay attention to these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

300, 000+ votes? jaysis?

ATARI FXCKIN JAGUAR!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

It worries me that someone with a joined date of October 2005 could have been bored of something on the boards a year ago, three months of seeing something is not that long.

*edit* Atari Jaguar ftw *edit*

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yes-15
    No-31
    Atari Jaguar-300130

LMFAO! Atari jaguar ftw!!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Atari Jaguar

LMFAO! Atari jaguar ftw!!

What language are you even speaking?

is it not obvious to you what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mcnet.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's not a matter of being amused or not, it's all about tradition (cue Fiddler on the Roof music).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Atari Jaguar
    Don't you hate pants?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Don't you hate pants?
    Pffft! Atari jaguar, personally ...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement