Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Council Motions, Mon 29th January 2007

Options
  • 23-01-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

The next meeting of UCDSU Council takes place on Monday 29th January at 6:15pm, in a venue TBC by Services. Either myself or abelard will post here with the venue once it's confirmed. It'll prob be somewhere between Theatres O and R as per usual.

Attendance is, as always, open to all and anyone is welcome to seek speaking rights to speak on a motion. Pop along to ucdsu.net/classreps and find out who your Councillor is, and get in touch telling them how you'd like them to vote.

As standard, users are asked to declare affilliation on the relevant thread (if they haven't done so already) before posting on this thread, which is now reserved for discussion on the motions.
    Council notes the current policy of the university regarding Semesterisation and Modularisation and the changing system of teaching in the university.

Council acknowledges the many benefits of this policy for both the academics and students.

However, Council feels that this policy is being rushed by the university and as a result many flaws and problems have arisen for UCD students.

Furthermore council acknowledges the work of the current sabbatical officers in this regard.

However, Council fears that these problems will become a permanent feature for students at the university.

To ensure that the best possible resolution can be found, council calls upon the NUI and Dr. Garrett Fitzgerald to appoint an independent party, impartial to both the union and the university.

Council therefore mandates the President and Deputy President to campaign on behalf of UCDSU to achieve this objective.

Proposed by: Rory Geraghty – 1st Languages, Literature and film
    Seconded by: Karen Doyle – 1st Geography
    This motion is pending an amendment by the proposer to define the actual role of the independent party.
    Council recalls the mandate passed at its meeting of March 6th 2006, namely 'Motion regarding UCDSU voting at USI National Congress 2006', which mandated the UCDSU delegation to USI National Congress 2006 in regards to voting at congress in the following manner;

-That the UCDSU USI delegation would vote against a Procedural Motion 9(a) if it is put on motions that have members of the UCDSU USI delegation waiting to speak in favour or against them.

-In the event of motions being divided up as possible under procedural motions in standing orders, UCDSU delegates were mandated not to vote against parts of the motion which contains a mandate that UCDSU has explicitly agreed to support prior to that.

-Council further mandated UCDSU delegates not to vote in favour of parts of motions that UCDSU has agreed to oppose prior to that.

-Council would elect two persons prior to congress to act as whips in order to make sure that the delegation are voting according to their mandate.

Council reaffirms these mandates for the UCDSU delegation attending the USI National Congress of 2007.

Council in addition to the above, mandates the UCDSU USI delegation not to vote against motions submitted by UCDSU.

Council mandates UCDSU to organise a meeting to discuss the submission of motions to National Congress and to elect whips for Congress at said meeting at least 14 days prior to the deadline for submission of motions.

Proposed by: Ciara Brennan, 3rd Law Class Representative
    Seconded by: Chris Bond, Arts & Human Sciences Programme Officer
    Council notes the Constitution of the Students Union was written in 1975 as a document which set out the principles by which the Union is to be run and governed. Council further notes that society, and the Union, have undergone changes not reflected in the document.

Council also notes that changes to the document brought about by referenda have created and have not properly outlined the functions of Programme Officers, Postgraduate, Evening and Mature Students Officer or the Deputy President.

Council therefore mandates the creation of a Constitutional Review Group, to include the Sabbatical Officers, 1 nominee of the President, 3 nominees of the Union Executive and 4 nominees of Union Council, to be elected later at this Council meeting with the intention of passing a referendum at the Sabbatical elections at the end of February.

Proposed by: Conor King, 1st Economics & Finance Rep
    Seconded by: Claire Gallagher, 2nd Social Science Rep

There's also a question on notice for the meeting:
    Will the President and Finance Officer be making the audited set of accounts for last year available to Council?

At the moment CopiPrint allows Commerce students and some others to use there student card as their Photocopying card, will the President be seeking this idea be extended to all students?

Submitted by: John Regan, 3rd Year School of Economics Rep.

I believe the Standing Orders that had previously been submitted for this meeting have since been withdrawn, perhaps abelard can confirm this?

Cheers
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

what exactly dioes USI congress do?Do we really need to send reps to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Well we give more money than any other college to it, we'd be mad not ot send people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

panda100 wrote:
    what exactly does USI congress do?Do we really need to send reps to it?

Well I haven't been but I gather it's something like council but on a bigger scale. We send 35 reps to it, generally 25 elected by council along with the 5 outgoing sabbatical officers and the 5 incoming sabbatical officers. All the colleges send reps + yes we do need to, I think running costs are covered by USI. It's on April the 2nd this year though which is during term time (unlike last year) so that could be slightly problematic given this new era of continuous assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

The next meeting of UCDSU Council takes place on Monday 29th January at 6:15pm, in a venue TBC by Services. Either myself or abelard will post here with the venue once it's confirmed. It'll prob be somewhere between Theatres O and R as per usual.

This time it is actually on in room G15 of the Agricultural Sciences building. Note on it's location can be found here
    I believe the Standing Orders that had previously been submitted for this meeting have since been withdrawn, perhaps abelard can confirm this?

Affirmative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I thought it was 32-30 voters and 2 non

And G15 in the Ag block... cool! That thing goes up like I've never seen before... and cheers for listening to me Col ;)

• Advertisement

gubbie wrote:
    I thought it was 32-30 voters and 2 non

And G15 in the Ag block... cool! That thing goes up like I've never seen before... and cheers for listening to me Col ;)

Trust me, it was services. Although the diversity can't be all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Is G15 the bin?

Is G15 the bin?

Tis yeah

I'm glad for a bit o' variety, though abelard knows where I want council! :p

Ya SCIENCE BUILDING Theatre A

*dusts hands*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

panda100 wrote:
    what exactly dioes USI congress do?Do we really need to send reps to it?

National Congress Is a key part of USI's year. The week is very imporrtant as a years worth of policy is decided upon. urthermore, it gives the ordinary members of the Union a chance to have their say on a national level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Rory's motion has been amended and now reads as follows:
    Council notes the current policy of the university regarding Semesterisation and Modularisation and the changing system of teaching in the university.

Council acknowledges the many benefits of this policy for both the academics and students.

However, Council feels that this policy is being rushed by the university and as a result many flaws and problems have arisen for UCD students.

Furthermore council acknowledges the work of the current sabbatical officers in this regard.

However, Council fears that these problems will become a permanent feature for students at the university.

Council mandates UCDSU to proceed with a campaign regarding modularisation, council also madates UCDSU to lobby the NUI and Dr. Garett Fitzgerald to appoint an independent party, impartial to the college administration, to act as a mediator in finding a reslolution to the problems associated with the policy of Semesterisation & Modularisation.

Council therefore mandates the President, Deputy President and Education Officer to campaign on behalf of UCDSU to achieve this objective.

Proposed: Rory Geraghty – 1st Languages, Literature and film
    Seconded : Karen Doyle – 1st Geography

And gubbie's right, we have 30 delegates to USI, and can also send two observers if we wish. This year because of our break being shifted forwards, Congress will be on during term-time so we may not be able to find 30 people to send!...

Well we give more money than any other college to it, we'd be mad not ot send people.

How much do we give to USI?
    What do USI do?
    What have they done for UCD students this year?

Delighted its in ag!Now lets have one in each building,not just arts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

panda100 wrote:
    What do USI do?

95,000 euro out of our budget of 500,000

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

panda100 wrote:
    What do USI do?

I concur panda. USI have done feck all this year. What on earth do they spend 92,000 on?

GusherING wrote:
    What on earth do they spend 92,000 on?

Ah don't under-estimate them like that, that's just what they get from UCDSU.

And they ran a voter registration campaign, got their information wrong and it's proved to be as useful as a freezer in the arctic.

Just so everyone knows, I've put a further motion on notice for Monday.

Reasons and details here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

/calls for abelard to resiegn.

/calls for abelard to resiegn.

Noooooooooooooooooo, I'd have to resign in protest and then where would we be!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

GusherING wrote:
    I concur panda. USI have done feck all this year. What on earth do they spend 92,000 on?

Shows how much you feckin know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Het-Field wrote:

Right so Paddy, you outline what you're doing for me and my fellow fee-paying postgrads (since you're postgrad officer). Why am I paying the USI? For a few links on the website that I can get from google? What am I getting that I wouldn't get if UCD had nothing to do with the USI? I mean, things as a postgrad are pretty shít as is, I'd love to know how much MORE shít it could be. (BTW, this is not a rant, regardless of the wording. It is actually genuine interest. I figure if you can tell me what you're doing then people will be able to see what kind of thing the other officers are involved in doing, if you know what you mean. In other words, show us how much we "feckin know".)

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote:
    Ya exactly they're doing a worse job of getting to the people that they represent then anything. The only thing that has come up in the college that I can think of is the voter registration campaign and we all know what ridicule that got. The only thing else is the odd picture I've seen in the paper but it doesn't really interest me so I don't pay much attention. They've always seemed a bit crusty to me. I mean you're the postgrad officer (which in UCD usually has the oldest of them all) but you're the young (and handsome, of course) one. Its hard to believe that these guys were even in college!
    The only thing that I see it of any use is a meeting place for all the presidents and other sabbats to get together and swap notes-thats how we learn and all and having the Education officer and President to bring a collective voice of all the su's to the government. It seems to me to always be just about the profile of it, nice picture in the paper and that.

But then again what do I know? Its usually only ever people who are involved in the student unions that know this kind of stuff... oh wait

Edit to say to Una (sorry if you spell it with the Oo): If you go to the USI website and look under Postgrads it will kindly refer you to the other postgrad officers in your college. Same with all the others actually... is that what ye do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

gubbie wrote:
    If you go to the USI website and look under Postgrads it will kindly refer you to the other postgrad officers in your college. Same with all the others actually... is that what ye do?

Actually I checked it before (and have checked it out again today) and there's only information listed for DIT, UCC, Trinity, NUIG and Queens in the Postgrad Societies section, which lists the Postgrad Officer/Postgrad Student Rep/Mature Students Society type stuff. I guess they're doing a really good job of keeping us informed in UCD so the USI don't think we need to be doubly informed.:rolleyes: Really, it's charming. (Thanks though Gubbie :) )

Ya ooops I just kinda read the start and then edited and then you know...

And that end of it all that question is for Paddy-I meant sorta that I don't believe that the sole position for the officers in USI is to off load them to the colleges officers. Thats all we can get from the web site anyway

That is an extorinate amount of money that we are just flushing down the toilet. I dont think we should be wasting time sending people all the way up to Donegal and coming up with motions for this circus.

I mean these were the motions at last years congress.

Congress notes
    The proposed pipeline that is to be constructed in the North-West of Mayo bringing unrefined gas on-shore.
    Congress further notes
    That this extremely hazardous pipeline passes close to the homes of many locals, who have organised a sustained campaign against it.
    Congress further notes
    That this issue directly affects the daughter of Rossport resident Vincent McGrath who was jailed for his part in the campaign, and that this girl is a member of both USI and UCDSU. This issue has impacted greatly on her ability to fully devote herself to her third level studies.

Congress mandates
    The President to write a letter offering the support of USI to each of the five families.
    Congress further mandates
    The Deputy President to circulate details of the Shell to Sea campaign to all COs, and to initiate a USI campaign in support of the Rossport 5 and their families.

Congress condemns
    The lack of progress in the peace process thus far, which has led to the disenfranchisement of students within the Northern Area, through the imposition of top-up fees and water charges.
    Congress further notes
    That the further lack of an Assembly will have a detrimental effect on all students, regardless of their political opinion.
    Congress therefore mandates
    The Northern Area Officer and Officer Board to support a campaign to lobby both National Governments to find a way through this impasse as swiftly as possible, and to ensure that, whatever their political position, that all students can support such a campaign.

Congress notes
    The Government of Iran, as part of a larger strategy of persecution, has systematically deprived Bahá’í is of higher education
    Congress further notes
    The Islamic Republic of Iran has also blocked Bahá’í efforts to establish their own institutions of higher learning
    Congress further notes
    The denial of education is based entirely on religious discrimination. Iranian authorities have made it clear that Bahá’ís would be allowed attend colleges and universities if they converted to Islam
    Congress mandates
    Officer Board to conduct an awareness campaign on the issue of the deprivation of the rights of Bahá’í

What a load of crap! And all the other motions on mental health,cutbacks,sti testing etc are all very well but not acted on!
    Can the sabaattical officers of UCD take the time to lecture adress classes instead,since they rarely have time to do it,instead of heading to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Het-Field wrote:

Paddy, last year I argued in favour of keeping UCDSU in USI and I can see it's potential usefulness for students all over Ireland, however 92,000 and little to show for it just screams 'lunacy' to me.

Where was the reaction to the National Development Plan this week? Several billion are being pumped into 3rd level between now and 2013. Does the government have the ability to deliver on this? Where will this money be spent? Does it go into Hugh Bradys wages or into new books for library's? Is it in the Students Interests? Thats what you guys are meant to be arguing for. Our interests. Please do it on a level that is noticable if you wish to silence my criticism.

On a side point, abuse never wins the argument, you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

Right, the USI debate continues.....here goes.

We shouldn't disaffiliate. That's it, from the off. But nor should we facilitate a lapse, unprofessional and largely invisible organisation which drains a massive amount of our financial resources. As UCDSU is the biggest player in the USI game, it's up to us to step up and hold ourselves accountable for letting USI roll along and remain largely invisible to the regular Joe Soap student on the concourse. If we leave, the organisation would struggle to exist and I do feel that a national organisation of the student body is just so important, we all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to certain issues.

We are to blame in some regards for letting the situation get so appalling. And appalling it is, I doubt 40% of students in UCD have seen literature of, been addressed by or heard of USI. I have said it again and again, we should write up a shopping list of certain things we demand from USI over development plan of say, 5 years. Hold the gun to their heads!

Colm Hamrogue in Theatre L having questions flying at him.
    Then I'll be happy.

Het-Field wrote:

I have to wonder how any student is capable of finding out what USI is up to given that a simple thing like National Council minutes have not been placed online this year, and that all other years were taken off the website. How do you expect people to be happy if they don't know where their money is going?

Myth wrote:
    I have to wonder how any student is capable of finding out what USI is up to given that a simple thing like National Council minutes have not been placed online this year, and that all other years were taken off the website. How do you expect people to be happy if they don't know where their money is going?
    Even on that note, when Colm Hamrogue was addressing SU Council last year looking for UCDSU's endorsement, one of the items on his manifesto was to relaunch usi.ie as studentlife.ie which was supposed to be a one-stop portal for all student activity in the country. As far as I can see, other than the Congress info that's only made its way online this week, all that's been updated is the names of the Officers and Dan Wood's press releases, which are utterly irrelevant to the student body at large, going on the homepage.

On a related and more on-topic issue, I notice that the deadline for USI Congress motions is 5pm on Friday the 16th of February, meaning that if the motion on notice is passed, there'll need to be a meeting by, at latest, next Friday, to discuss UCD motions to be submitted.

Even on that note, when Colm Hamrogue was addressing SU Council last year looking for UCDSU's endorsement, one of the items on his manifesto was to relaunch usi.ie as studentlife.ie which was supposed to be a one-stop portal for all student activity in the country.

Well, one other addition to the USI website was a forum which is off limits for non-sabbatical officers. See here: http://www.usi.ie/forum/index.php

It originated from a UCDSU motion years ago about having a message board on the USI website, but was decided to be a private one instead of a place where non-sabbatical officers could contribute.

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    Well, one other addition to the USI website was a forum which is off limits for non-sabbatical officers. See here: http://www.usi.ie/forum/index.php

It originated from a UCDSU motion years ago about having a message board on the USI website, but was decided to be a private one instead of a place where non-sabbatical officers could contribute.
    Which, Donal, I'm sure you'll agree, isn't really a one-stop shop for all USI members when it's only open to 70 people! :rolleyes: There's no reason why it couldn't have been left open to the public at large to post on too. I notice the Forum uses phpBB software; this can easily be tweaked so that the Officer types have full access to boards while other 'plebbian' users could have a more limited access still allowing them to post on a bulk of the boards.

Advertisement