Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Council Motions, Mon 29th January 2007

Options
2»

Comments

Which, Donal, I'm sure you'll agree, isn't really a one-stop shop for all USI members when it's only open to 70 people! :rolleyes:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Forgot to mention earlier, this motion is now pulled as the Seconder has taken their name from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

On a related and more on-topic issue, I notice that the deadline for USI Congress motions is 5pm on Friday the 16th of February, meaning that if the motion on notice is passed, there'll need to be a meeting by, at latest, next Friday, to discuss UCD motions to be submitted.

So pointless people making up motions for the sake of making them up. Its going to be the exact same motions that were at USI last year,the year before that and the year before that. Whats the point of submitting new motions when the motions that were passed last year were not acted on. Having USI in existence may mean 'we are all singing from the same hymn sheet' but we would be anyways regardless of USI existence.

Following on from what we were saying on the other thread I think the whole order of council should be changed.
    Pandas itinery
    Firstly,there should be officer reports and exec officer reports.These should be hand written and given to each class rep at the begining of council.

Then there should be an itinerary of events for what is happening in the next two weeks so class reps can be informed in order to inform their classes.

Thirdly there should be motions. Motions at the moment really take over council and they really are an insignificant part of the day to day life of the UCD student. We have to stop making these the focal point of council.

Lastly then there should be questions and answers or any feedback that class reps may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

God, those USI motions are something I'd make up if I wanted to parody SU hacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

panda100 wrote:
    Having USI in existence may mean 'we are all singing from the same hymn sheet' but we would be anyways regardless of USI existence

Not true. An inclusive, all emcompassing National body would trump the view of any individual Union if there was fear of the return of fees for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

USI, in theory, is an excellent idea. In practice, its a teensy bit of a mess. but the question of whether to disaffiliate from something or whether to work with it is a big one.

also, i've got to say the worst motions at congress (not saying there werent good ones) came from UCDSU. A union is only as good as its members so should be driving your sabbats to help turn it into something that will benefit yee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Miss GAAfia

&#231 wrote: »
    A union is only as good as its members so should be driving your sabbats to help turn it into something that will benefit yee.

Hence this motion. 14 days to discuss issues and to formulate well written and comprehensive motions.

&#231 wrote: »
    also, i've got to say the worst motions at congress (not saying there werent good ones) came from UCDSU.

Most of the motions were rushed last year due to the UCDSU President forgetting to tell everyone else about the deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hence this motion. 14 days to discuss issues and to formulate well written and comprehensive motions.

Do you really think any of the motions are going to have changed greatly from last year or the year before that?
    Its a waste of everyones time coming up with motions just for the sake of it and that seems to be what we are doing year in year out. Everyone knows the big student issues that have to be acted on...serious lack of accomodation,education cutbacks etc etc.
    There is no point all the universitys having a general consensus of ideas if they never get acted on.
    How have USI acted on ANY of the motions that were passed last year?They havent! Just like UCDSU rarely acts on any of the motions they pass at council.Has bebo been banned yet?Nope.Have we seen a campus wide campaign to raise awarness against changes in curriculum across UCD? No....the list goes on.

USI congress and UCDSU council is just a chance for those who like the sound of their own voice to make up a stupid motion and inflict it on their rest of us class reps.

I have no doubt that USI could be a great instrument for change so that all universities could rally together and make Irish universities the best in the world. But its just not working and I really dont think we should waste UCDSU members time by tihinking through thorough motions and sending our sabbatical officers half way up the country when they are needed in UCD.

panda100 wrote:
    I really dont think we should waste UCDSU members time by tihinking through thorough motions and sending our sabbatical officers half way up the country when they are needed in UCD.

If, as you asserted, that they aren't following mandates for all the weeks bar the 4 or so days that they are at USI Congress then I think that 4 days wouldn't really change any of that. Saying that I don't think that all sabbatical officers should leave i.e. the Education and/or Welfare Officer should stay behind to, yes, see to the education and welfare needs of students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Well if anyone cares I plan to look into the viability of a motion mandating that in future USI congress be held from a Thursday to a Sunday. At the mo it runs from a Monday to a Thursday which basically means that for the colleges fo whom this doesn't co-incide with their holidays (like ourselves this year, it starts on April 2nd), a huge number of students are essentially excluded as they can't take that sort of time off college (basically sci, health sci, eng etc which have practicals) which certainly doesn't help the problem that those who tend to go for officerships of both UCDSU and USI tend to be Arts, Commerce or Law students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

dajaffa wrote:
    Well if anyone cares I plan to look into the viability of a motion mandating that in future USI congress be held from a Thursday to a Sunday. At the mo it runs from a Monday to a Thursday which basically means that for the colleges fo whom this doesn't co-incide with their holidays (like ourselves this year, it starts on April 2nd), a huge number of students are essentially excluded as they can't take that sort of time off college (basically sci, health sci, eng etc which have practicals) which certainly doesn't help the problem that those who tend to go for officerships of both UCDSU and USI tend to be Arts, Commerce or Law students.

Id imagine that would be viable. Id say you would have to place it under the constitutional amendments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Thats a great idea dajaffa - had always wondered what sense it made to have it during the week - maybe steering just enjoy their long weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Yea I love panda :)

And at exec some of the officers said that they shouldn't leave. I think Barry was one, Brian wasn't there

And I think Dan should be talking to Colm about changing the date now

gubbie wrote:
    And I think Dan should be talking to Colm about changing the date now

Given that it's up on the website, it would have been agreed by a meeting of national council so, in essence, it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Paddy, I'm waiting to be shown how much I feckin' know. Could you hurry it up a bit please, I forgot my jacket and I'm completely out in the cold.

Iz, bualadh bós (arís).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Myth wrote:
    Given that it's up on the website, it would have been agreed by a meeting of national council so, in essence, it's too late.

Me is wondering if anyone from UCD even went to said council.

Advertisement