Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crackdown Demo Up Now

• 23-01-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

1.24 GB, I've got high hopes for this one.
    Single player demo with Online Co-Op too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Shhhhh! Wait till we get it first at least :D

I'm on 56% now, it flew up to 50% then the last 6% it has just fallen on its arse :(

EDIT: Ahh cock, it just disconnected and when I reconnected it started at 40% :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

[mislead]Nah, demo ain't up just yet folks. No point logging on to take up all those precious bandwidths.[/mislead]

50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

1.28 Gb ****in hell !! This is gna be good jumping over buildings and driving in the same game .its a winning combo .

So far, so great.

Lovely world, great architecture and design.
    Aiming seems a little to easy, with the only viable option being the auto-target, free aim doesn't seem too benefitial atm. (I may be missing something)
    Action is great, explosions are too!
    Jumping is great fun!
    Picking up mob bosses and tossing them off buildings is fun.

Demo is limited to 30 minutes once you kill X amount of people. Probably other conditions too.
    Co-op is auto-match, cannot invite friends (disabled in demo).

{EDIT} You can however wait for people to join your co-op game and see thier name before beginning. So you can kick people and wait for your friend. (although that seems to get a bit screwed up too, but does work in time. Playing with C500 now)

Em, so far it looks like a definite buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

savage. cant wait to get home and dload it!

whats the release date on this?

is it region free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sounds good, can't wait to get the demo this evening.

Just finished a one hour (max time limit on demo) coop game with Ciaran. It was excellent, seemless integration and interaction appart from the occasional 1-2 second stutter every 5-10 minutes maybe. I would like to add, that kicking and throwing stuff is also a lot of fun. A lot of explosions, "accidental" friendly kicks/grenades and lol moments. Did I mention the explosions? Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If it doesn't come with halo3 beta demo of the beta demo due out this year, I'm not interested. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, jumping around is gread fun, did it not seem a bit repetitive to anyone tho?! Just keep killing hundreds of guys?! No real missions as such?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

If it doesn't come with halo3 beta demo of the beta demo due out this year, I'm not interested. :p

SNAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Crackdown = Letdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

grizzly wrote:
    Crackdown = Letdown

The first of many puns I assume. If it is poor I dread the onslaught of 'cackdown ' puns.
    But besides being very underwhelmed by the videos and shots so far I will be downloading this bad boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So far, so meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,707 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well just back from the demo run and must say I found it an enjoyable experience. When I hit a point when I was leaping between buildings without any trouble at all, I smiled.
    I wonder about the variety the final game will have though. It seemed great in a bit size aimless wander, but the missions within the demo seemed poor at best. Will wait for the reviews before rushing down the shops to place my pre-order.

I wont be pre-ordering this.

But I will however, be outside Smyths on the launch day for my halo 3 beta :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think i'd buy this as a form of anger management/ escape from reality.

It was some laugh just seeing how far i could jump and if i'd make it across the street in a single bound.

just simple fun really. its about as deep as a spit on the pavement but fun all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Grr I've read so many good things about this game but I just can't seem to download it.

The download keeps breaking, the most I've had it up to was 45% before it stopped and the xbox threw up an error and it needed to be started from scratch.

Trying for about the millionth time now, very annoying!

Anyone know if/when it'll be available on silver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I wont be pre-ordering this.

But I will however, be outside Smyths on the launch day for my halo 3 beta :D

could you not just buy it, get the halo3 beta key or whatever and return it ? may not be the 'right' then to do but who cares about morales :p
    mloc123 wrote:
    Anyone know if/when it'll be available on silver?

i thought sliver was able to get all downloads too ? as in everything gold could do expect play online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Wiil you be able to buy halo 3 betas.I thought it was just be on marketplace one day:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Wiil you be able to buy halo 3 betas.I thought it was just be on marketplace one day:confused:
    i think its invite only (register with bungie or something) OR buy crackdown

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    i thought sliver was able to get all downloads too ? as in everything gold could do expect play online.

Its Gold only for the moment, says to check back in a few days for silver but I presume thats a generic msg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Most new free content on Marketplace is available to Gold Members first and then to Silver Members 1 week later.

See Major Nelson post below.
    http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/01/23/demo-crackdown.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Attempting to drag this thread back on topic.

I played Crackdown last night, and never having been a fan of those run-around-aimlessly-driving-killing-whatever type games, I must admit, Im quite impressed with this.

Seems a little more purposeful to be honest, and its definitely next-gen. I also like the idea of abilities. Got to lift a 2-tonne truck before the demo expired. Clark Kent aint got nothin on me..

Little bit of a problem navigating the maze of backstreets to get to specific points, and kinda hard to snipe, but Im sure that'll be available in the full game.

Didnt try the online, anyone?

I will be buying this game, most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I think that this game has the potential to be excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the demo. The whole gaining new abilities and levelling up idea is brilliant. I also think it's different enough from GTA to stand out on its own. A lot of people seem to be suprised that it's any good at all but I always felt like it had bags of potential (if the guy behind the original GTA was working on it). Pre-ordered already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

good game. im interested to see how the driving skills improve the way you drive cars and stuff... jumping and picking up cars is great craic... playing over live with a whole map to mess around in is great craic! does anyone know if it supports more than 2 players?

I didn't like it, gave it a good 25-35 mins and gave up on it interesting me.
    Still be buying it though.

Still be buying it though.

Can I have your copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've got mixed feelings about this one. I like the futuristic setting (althought I don't think its enough of a future setting - hover cars anyone?), and the abilities are great. Once you get your agility up, its a lot of fun pounding across roof tops and leaping small buildings in a single bound.

But if the demo is anything to go by, its got some big negative points for me. First, as others and various game sites have noted, there seems to be very very little in the way of story and plot. Some agency guy just gives you a list of generic crime boss characters to take out and thats it. It would have been really sweet if this game had a plot ala Deus Ex or something.

I've got a problem with the enemies too. Hundreds and hundreds of members of, as i said, generic gangs that could be from any similar game, such as Saints Row. Again, with the enemies I don't think they've made enough use of their future setting. Its just drug cartels and street racing gangs all over again. *sigh* It would be great to face enemies later in the game with the same abilities as you, and have running hand to hand fights across the roof tops, and maybe they will have that, and we just didn't see it in the demo - but probably not.

I'll wait and see what the reviews are like, and I hope I'm proved wrong, but I think it will just end up being an aimless repetitive mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Branoic wrote:
    But if the demo is anything to go by, its got some big negative points for me. First, as others and various game sites have noted, there seems to be very very little in the way of story and plot. Some agency guy just gives you a list of generic crime boss characters to take out and thats it. It would have been really sweet if this game had a plot ala Deus Ex or something.
    Thats the whole point of the sandbox missions. You have enemies to kill and you do it whatever way and whatever order you want.
    Branoic wrote:
    Again, with the enemies I don't think they've made enough use of their future setting. Its just drug cartels and street racing gangs all over again. *sigh* It would be great to face enemies later in the game with the same abilities as you, and have running hand to hand fights across the roof tops, and maybe they will have that, and we just didn't see it in the demo - but probably not.
    I've noticed enemies throwing things at me in the demo (barrels, car doors lamposts) I'm sure they will start to get stronger as you play on.

Before anyone judges this game they should play Co-op online with someone they know. The game plays completely different and is far far better IMO. So many moments of fun are missed playing alone.

Advertisement