Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding DVD conversion

• 23-01-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    My girlfriends sister got married in Atlanta last year and sent over a video dvd. However, it's not encoded in PAL and hence won't play in anyone's dvd player. Now, I got it to play using VLC on my laptop ( I had to manually play the individual video files on the disc) but I need to rip it and re-encode it in a format that the cousins etc will all be able to watch.

But I have no idea how to do this. Copying the dvd won't work cos media player etc. won't read the disc cos it's the wrong region.

All help is most appreciated.

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,
    My girlfriends sister got married in Atlanta last year and sent over a video dvd. However, it's not encoded in PAL and hence won't play in anyone's dvd player. Now, I got it to play using VLC on my laptop ( I had to manually play the individual video files on the disc) but I need to rip it and re-encode it in a format that the cousins etc will all be able to watch.

But I have no idea how to do this. Copying the dvd won't work cos media player etc. won't read the disc cos it's the wrong region.

All help is most appreciated.

Most pal dvd players will play an ntsc disk, it sounds more likely that the dvd is region 1 locked/encoded rather than being region free. When you put it into your laptop and open the dvd software player does it ask about changing the region settings for the player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

decob wrote:
    Most pal dvd players will play an ntsc disk, it sounds more likely that the dvd is region 1 locked/encoded rather than being region free. When you put it into your laptop and open the dvd software player does it ask about changing the region settings for the player?

When her parents put it into their dvd player at home it says that 'this disc is not PAL format'.

When I put it into my laptop and XP tries to automatically play it, I get a message saying this is the wrong region disc. (I can only play it by manually exploring the disc and running the individual files through VLC).

Cheers!
    Quad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

quad_red wrote:
    When her parents put it into their dvd player at home it says that 'this disc is not PAL format'.

When I put it into my laptop and XP tries to automatically play it, I get a message saying this is the wrong region disc. (I can only play it by manually exploring the disc and running the individual files through VLC).

Cheers!
    Quad

ok, that does sound like it's region 1 locked. What you need to do is "remove RCE protection". There is software out there that will do this and let you burn it back to dvd. But i'm sure if you google certain "keywords" you will find what you need.

Disclaimer for mods: i'm not promoting the removal of RCE from copyrighted material, hence not explicitly mentioning the particular software...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You're safe :)

Advertisement