Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cavity block insert

Options
  • 23-01-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm getting an extension to a 3 bed semi built 1950's (cavity block). There seems to be no way to effectively pump the existing cavity blocks with bead type insulation.

The architect is advising going with cavity again and drylining the internal walls.

My question is: Does anybody know of something like a polystyrene block that could be inserted into the cavity blocks at build time. I know it wouldnt solve the cold bridging problems, but it should be an inexpensive way to improve the overall u-value.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is the architect suggesting a "cavity block" wall, or a block "cavity wall".
    As they are two very different things.

As for the polystyrene insert. It would end up being quite expensive, and would do very little for the wall. As the heat would take the path of least resistance so to speak, the cold bridges are the problems

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Why not use a warmer block like Poroton or Ytong? And put the insulation on the outside for a much greater effect.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

This might offer a solution for you if you are considering an ICF option,

http://www.mdue.it/certificazioni/omologazione_irlanda.pdf

kadman

Advertisement