Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with the x1950pro

Options
  • 23-01-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭

i just got the sapphire x1950pro PCIe and when i tried to install it, it tells me on a diagram in the packet, that i need to connect the card to the PSU (fine) but that i also need to connect it to the hard drive. The card came with a floppy cable which connects the gpu to the PSU, but then it branches out and is meant to connect to the HDD, but the connectors are not the same (the lead is a male four pin) whereas the HDD has only one input connected to the PSU and it's a flat connector.

Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't worry you are just misinterpreting the instructions

The GPU just needs to be connected to the PSU to facilitate that they provide an adapter for PSU's that do not have the newer PCI-e power connector.

The adapter simply has other connections on it in case you need to power other devices from that connection because you are short on power connection it does not need to be hooked up to other devices in the system if they already have a power connection. Think pass though power lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ok thanks 8t8, i'll try it when i get home, but just in case it doesn't work, considering the cable they provide is a molex and the input on the HDD is SATA, is there such a thing as a double SATA- molex converter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It will work, you don't plug anything into it like the HDD or the floppy drive.

SATA HDD uses a SATA power connector it possible to acquire molex->SATA power adapters but like I said this is unnecessary.

Find a free power cable with a molex connection on the PSU and simply plug it into the adapter cable and plug the adapters other end into the GPU and that's it.

No floppy connection, no HDD plugged into you get the idea those are extra connections in case the cable you use to power the GPU is already being used by something else like a floppy or HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

thanks 8t8, it's now working with just the one connection

Advertisement