Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety, getting around

Options
  • 23-01-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm planning on LIT for next year and I'm looking at staying in Grove Island or Thomond Village.

My questions are:

1) How safe are both these places and how safe is it to walk say into the city or to walk to LIT or UL ?

2) What kind of city bus services opperate from Grove Island to LIT and to UL?

3) Is there any other no-go areas I should know about ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

First of all Grove Island is out of the question if you are going to the main LIT campus (not the art college) as its bout 2.5 miles of a walk with no direct bus service.

Thomond Village is ok the place itself is good, location wise it is bordering the end of Moyross and bottom of caherdavin distance wise is about 1.5 miles (Uphill) from LIT. Good pub close to it though.

If your thinking of LIT I would recommend moving into one of the many rental houses much closer to LIT.

Bus wise direct service runs every 15 minutes traffic depending till bout 8 o clock then every half hour till 11.15.

As for No go areas not really house wise stick to clareview caherdavin and woodview. Thomond village is just on the edge of Caherdavin estate.

Theres a great accomodation service in LIT that runs from mid august each year get in there early and you can pick off the best of the accomodation.

Thats my lot enjoy LIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Walking to LIT or UL from town is perfectly safe, unless you really go out of your way (in the wrong direction) looking for dodgy estates.

LIT to town walk is about 25 mins. There's a bus every 20 mins which I think is usually fairly reliable (sort of) outside rush hour. UL to town walk is fairly long (50 mins maybe?), but the bus service is often just dire, at almost any time. The timetable says every 15 mins but whoever came with that was in lala land. If you're going to LIT, be happy you're so close to town.

Like Sioda said there's no direct bus from Grove Island. There might be a shuttle bus for students but I don't know. If you do end up there it's a very short walk from town.

There used to be direct buses between LIT and UL every day, but now it's just on Sundays (every hour and 20 mins).

I second Clareview, Woodview and Caherdavin as the best places to look for accomodation. Obviously steer clear of Moyross. Thomondgate (nothing to do with Thomond Village) is ok but I wouldn't recommend it.

I saw on the LIT forum that you want to live close to UL 'cos you have friends there. I wouldn't really recommend it, LIT and UL are completely different sides of the city and you'd just be giving yourself alot of hassle. Buses after 7:00 pm generally follow the timetable (to some extent at least), so it won't be too hard to go and see them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I go to UL and live near LIT(about 5 minutes walk). The traffic is just dire in the morning it can take up to an hour in heavy traffic after 8:15, if I leave before 8:10 I can be ni UL within 20 minutes

Don't even think about commuting to LIT from UL by bus...dooable but if you left castletroy at 9 in the morning you'd probaly get to LIT just before 11. LIT Moylish campus is only about 20-25 minutes from the City Centre....you wouldn't be walking it at night like but up until 10-11pm it's fine. Most taxis from town will take a group of people to LIT for about €2-3 each depending on if you find a minivan about...

UL is a tiring walk from town, but if you had abike you could get across in about 20 minutes. one of the houses on our road is rented to students (Live in landlord...guy about 25/26), Don't know him too well but could ask if you're interested.

What courses are you interested in/????

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Went to college in LIT but lived in Castletroy (same side of town as UL). It was a bit of a pain to be honest. You'll have to rely on buses which can get very frustrating. You're looking at maybe an hour at times to get to and from LIT. Altough this could have changed as it's X years since i was in college

You'd be far better off getting a house in Clareview, Woodview or Caherdavin at least you can walk to and from college. It's also handy to be able to stroll home on the days when you have 3 hours to kill between lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

thanks for all the help guys!

I'm looking at doing Computers in LIT. I read on the LIT website that its a 15 min walk from Grove Island to LIT, ye saying this aint possible?

• Advertisement

Evo wrote:
    thanks for all the help guys!

I'm looking at doing Computers in LIT. I read on the LIT website that its a 15 min walk from Grove Island to LIT, ye saying this aint possible?

That's definately not right. I'd say 25 at the very least, probably closer to 30, unless you really wanna kill yourself every morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Grove Island is in Corbally, half way to UL....pm me if you're interested in that house and I'll giv yer man a shout. It's about 5 mins MAX from LIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pelotudo

dv wrote:

I second Clareview, Woodview and Caherdavin as the best places to look for accomodation. Obviously steer clear of Moyross. Thomondgate (nothing to do with Thomond Village) is ok but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Most of Thomondgate is corporation housing...but if you actually cross the main road you are in Farranshone...which is actually fairly quiet,with a decent number of houses for rent..I actually grew up in both places and have never had anything happen to me in all the 20 years I lived there and the other 10 I have spent calling out to my parents (in farranshone) and friends/family(thomondgate)
    It's not like Thomondgate is some sort of ghetto...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grove Island to LIT is about a 20 minute walk I reckon.

Pelotudo wrote:
    Most of Thomondgate is corporation housing...but if you actually cross the main road you are in Farranshone...which is actually fairly quiet,with a decent number of houses for rent..I actually grew up in both places and have never had anything happen to me in all the 20 years I lived there and the other 10 I have spent calling out to my parents (in farranshone) and friends/family(thomondgate)
    It's not like Thomondgate is some sort of ghetto...

I thought I'd get into some kind of trouble when I said that. But I didn't actually say there was anything wrong with Thomondgate, I just wouldn't recommend it as a top priority for a student coming to Limerick to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pelotudo

Nah. I see your point, I did grow up around there after all.It is a kind of local place for local people :)
    Nobody mentioned Farranshone,Glenview gardens, Stenson park as options.
    They are all 15 mins walk from LIT. Sure even Willie O'Dea has his clinic in Glenview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Coonagh Cowboy

I live in corbally,and if you chose to live in grove island,there's a bus pick-up I believe near the locke bar,or maybe it was st.mary's credit union.either way its really easy to live in grove island and still at UL.I was working in coonagh equestrian centre which is past it and walked it everyday with no worries.

Farranshone would be good. To be honest I don't know where Glenview and Stenson park are...

Advertisement