Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"exhaust emission" on dashboard

Options
  • 23-01-2007 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

The "exhaust emission" indicator on our Opel Meriva stays lit, but not flashing. It was perfectly alright until recently, when the cold weather kicks in. According to the owner's manual, we should be sending this for examination in a garage, but before we rush to do that, can anyone advise if they have a similar situation....

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

WUSB I don't know much about Opels but in general a couple of things you could check are:

1. The lambda sensors(s): These are screw in sensors you will find on the catalytic convertor. First check if the wire has come loose on either and push it back in if it has. Then if you know anyone with a Meriva or a similar Opel, or if you have a friend working in an Opel parts department, you could borrow there lamda sensors and substitute them for yours and see if that gets the light to go out, then you know you need to replace them.

2. The cat itself. If your cat is gone run the car for 1/2 an hour to an hour and you should be able to smell an egg like smell, if you do then you know the cat needs replacing.

3. Coolant system sensor. On some cars there is a sensor in the coolant system and if this is faulty or the wire connected to it is loose then it can cause the emission light to come on. So first check if the wire is loose, next again if you know someone else with a Meriva or similar car you can borrow there sensor and substitute it for your own, if the light goes out you need to replace this sensor.

4. ECU. I have heard of a few instances where a faulty ECU caused the emmision light to stay on. You will have to bring your car in to the garage to get this checked though.

Thats all I can think of off of the top of my head, it could also be a problem unique to Opels but it would be worth your while checking the first three things there, it might save you the expense of bringing it to your garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

thanks for that insight. I have read elsewhere that driving the meriva around with that light on causes no problem, but that must be an isolated case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mechanic1

The engine light can come on for a number of reasons so you should have it diagnosed its the only sure way of finding out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Another famous cause, at least on American cars, is the fuel cap not being on tightly enough. No, I have no idea what the connection is. Unfortunately, resetting the light to 'off' took about 50 miles for me, or just going to the dealer.

NTM

Advertisement