Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Designed Photo Website for Critique

Options
  • 23-01-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have recently changed the layout and functionality of my site (www.thetrueview.com). I am now using PHP and Flash for two separate galleries that use the flickr API to read images direclty from my flickr account. I would be grateful for any feedback on the site itself especially on the Main Gallery and Flash Gallery, loading times etc and any problems that anyone has.

Thanks,

FreeAnd..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Hi, nice like the look. Just noticed that in the flash gallery the green "home" link is on top of the banner text. Using Firefox 1.5.0.9.

Did you design the flash gallery yourself, I like the layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Thanks for taking the time Delanest, I know about that link, it moves on the flash page dependingon the size of the screen - i will make it static as soon as I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Nice.

Any site that uses SimpleViewer gets my vote, available for free download from www.airtightinteractive.com.

Tell me more about the Flickr API? Just an overview, what did you do?

Just one critique, the Flash gallery is kinda exhaustive, does the API support the sets in Flickr? If you set them up as sets in Flickr, and then do an individual gallery for each set? This might necessitate buying the Simpleviewer source, (which I have done and its well worth it) to allow for multiple galleries.

Very nice site though, color palette is nice, and compliments your B&W's quite well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

I agree with you on the flash gallery smcelhinney, i will update that when i get time. I have not configured it yet to automatically read the galleries and link to a simpleviewer gallery for each one as with the PHP yet.

As for the flickr api - it is absolutely class. Maintenance of my site has gone to practically zero. I do all my editing in flickr i.e. add photos, create galleries. I do not need to resize anything, upload anything extra or do anything else. Editing in flickr is simple, i can tag and place images in multiple galleries and all of this is picked up automatically on my own site.

The api itself is easy to use, basically you can connect to flickr and get an xml list of all images, galleries etc. Once this xml is parsed you can then display images with tags and link to the originals on flickr. At the moment I am only using unauthenticated plain view of everything. I am going to add search and some other functionality soon. Basically through the API you can configure your own FE for flickr that integrates with the design of your own site...gets the thumbs up from me..

Advertisement