Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underworld

• 23-01-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i can get Underworld sets? I have become addicted to their music in the last few months. Its really, really great stuff.
    In my (amateur) opinion they are without doubt the greatest dance act of all time.
    Also i am looking for more stuff along the lines of Underworld, so any recommendations would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

D they are without doubt the greatest dance act of all time.

this made me lol

hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Underworld are certainly not the greatest dance act of all time that honour belongs to ORBITAL, however they are a class act, in my top 10 for sure, ive got all of their stuff in my Soulseek folder.:cool:

orbital arent fit to lick kraftwerks efficient german boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thats a chalk and cheese comparison in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

none of them come near to Scooter - deadly buzz

• Advertisement

Anima wrote:
    Thats a chalk and cheese comparison in fairness..
    its not really

we're talking about best dance music acts of all time, and kraftwerk certainly slip into that category at number 1, a billion miles ahead of the rest

Even if they only released Two Months Off, it's so stunningly brilliant as to put them right up the list. It must be one of the best dance anthems ever.

Not a huge fan of other stuff I have heard, am I missing something. Do they have any more stuff along the same lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Underworld are probably my favourite band, they have a unique combination of sounds and lyrics, and put on arguably the best live show in music at the moment. you cant really combare kraftwerk and orbital or underworld, you might be let away with a comparison between kraftwerk and LFO though, but only just :D

Even if they only released Two Months Off, it's so stunningly brilliant as to put them right up the list. It must be one of the best dance anthems ever.

Not a huge fan of other stuff I have heard, am I missing something. Do they have any more stuff along the same lines?
    two months off is their worst imo

beaucoup fish pisses all over it

Helix wrote:
    two months off is their worst imo

beaucoup fish pisses all over it
    you can't really compare a track to an album either??
    either way, anyone who doesnt recognise the brilliance of dubnobasswithmyheadman and second toughest in the infants needs their head checked

• Advertisement

dubnobasswithmyheadman is a ****ing belter

how come nobody noticed that midfield general ripped off skyscraper i love you for coatnoise?

i only have the world service version, and never noticed? hmmm, maybe i should slow it down or something?

bassline is exactly the same as the bassline in a phase of ssily

Helix wrote:
    orbital arent fit to lick kraftwerks efficient german boots

Nonsense if your were to do a poll in any dance music magazine or popular website i can guarantee you Orbital would come out on top every time, anyway you cannot compare the two of them, Kraftwerk whilst being very good are not really "100" a dance act" where as Orbital would be.

They're all only trotting after 808 State...

jonny68 wrote:
    Nonsense if your were to do a poll in any dance music magazine or popular website i can guarantee you Orbital would come out on top every time, anyway you cannot compare the two of them, Kraftwerk whilst being very good are not really "100" a dance act" where as Orbital would be.

kraftwerk are as much a dance act as orbital, in fact they have more tracks youd consider dancefloor material than orbital do

the only reason orbital would come out on top, is that its disgusting the amount of people who have never heard kraftwerk who claim to be into dance music

In fairness to Kraftwerk, it's hard to beat a bit of Trans Europe Express, especially after Afrika Bambaata got his hands on it and transformed it into Planet Rock, the best slice of electro funk ever...

Helix wrote:
    kraftwerk are as much a dance act as orbital, in fact they have more tracks youd consider dancefloor material than orbital do

the only reason orbital would come out on top, is that its disgusting the amount of people who have never heard kraftwerk who claim to be into dance music

no way do they, sure they have a few but Kraftwerks sound is more synth 1980's electronic sound like, im not disputing they are a class act but Orbital as a dance music act are much better!

the majority of orbitals best work wouldnt work on a dancefloor

Helix wrote:
    the majority of orbitals best work wouldnt work on a dancefloor

your joking right:eek: Orbital are the best ever dance ive seen live, in fact @ one of their gigs was one of the best ever atmospheres ive ever seen, the crowd went mad (Orbital/Carl Cox @ The Point 1995)

• Advertisement

dont get me wrong, im a ****ing huge fan, and ive seen them about 8 times, but thats in concert

im talking about working on a dancefloor

different things entirely

if a dj dropped tgwtsihh youd look at him funny

orbital were genius, tho still not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the germans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 supply72

Can`t argue with any of the bands mentioned, depends on the mood you are in. Orbital, Underworld, Massive Attack, Leftfield. The Aloof, Lionrock, Portishead, and i could go on and on. All great, just depends what mood you are in. You are not going to bang on a track like Cowgirl at 6 am when you are chilling out and you won`t be listening to Protection just before you go clubbin either. Different music for different moods. All as good as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

that cowgirl point is actually a very serious one, we started playing rez/cowgirl and oldskool stuff like 'give a little love' by nookie at a gaf after seeing speedy j last year at about 6 in the morning, i dont think i've ever felt so monged in my life. Thankfully i've gotten over that death drive on a night out where i just have to keep listening to harder and faster music towards the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 supply72

If you are on a mad one and have the energy and chemicals to keep going 24 hours then keep the music banging 24 hours:D But it`s a long time since i have been able to do that. Arrive home at about 4am and chill out with a couple of beers and smokes listening to something mellow now. But there were weekends in the past when i wouldn`t sleep at all till i collapsed into bed on Sunday night/ Monday morning. A bit old for that now, but if you are able for it go for it!:)

p.s, orbital takes the award over kraftwerk any day.

lol

thats like saying oasis are better than the beatles

hahaha, this argument is just getting ridiculous :D can we all agree that Kraftwerk are the best electronic act, but in a dance enviroment they may not be as conducive to dancing as orbital and underworld? although just to complicate things for the sake of it, i have been thinking that aphex twin might soon be pushing kraftwerk for best electronic act ever, he does seem to operate on more levels

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Helix wrote:
    lol

thats like saying oasis are better than the beatles

Helix, its quite simple really...its down to personal preference and personal preference doesnt make one better than the other.

Im not familiar with Kraftwerks later work but I certainly wouldnt go and get off my t*ts listening to their older music. Orbital (who I prefer :p ) have plenty of tracks that are perfect for the dancefloor and aslo for simpy chilling. In my opinion, Orbital were masters at both.

Slightly off topic, does anyone know if Orbitals track "Semi-Detached" was a B side or ever released in any format? A super tune.

yeah it's on the diversions e.p., along with loads of other versions lush, including lush 3.3 (underworld mix),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Bah, although I love orbital and kraftwerk, people bang on about them a little too much. There ARE other acts out there. For example, the whole future pop/Industrial Dance/EBM scene at the moment is booming.

Personal favorite of mine are VNV Nation.The lead singer Ronan is Irish, huge international act, yet practically unheard of here. Only played their first Irish concert a couple of months ago.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9ftP6N-b1d0

Or then there's Covenant...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GA3ZL8-lJPg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

griffdaddy wrote:
    yeah it's on the diversions e.p., along with loads of other versions lush, including lush 3.3 (underworld mix),

Cheers, never seen that one before, just looked it up on discogs...and I call myself an Orbital fan :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dubreak

Does anyone know where i can get Underworld sets?

http://www.underworldlive.com/index/home.html

You need to log in to access the 'Archive' section of the site. It's free to sign up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭dermoto

jonny68 wrote:
    Underworld are certainly not the greatest dance act of all time that honour belongs to ORBITAL, however they are a class act, in my top 10 for sure, ive got all of their stuff in my Soulseek folder.:cool:
    Damn straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ezdmanx

Bodhidharma, Some excellent gigs on the underworldlive.com site such as the blue mountain sessions gig.
    Am a huge fan myself used to trade underworld gigs for years, I could prob help you out with getting more of their gigs if you wanted.

i have a high quality hour long avi of their Exit fest gig in Serbia in 2005. i might make a torrent out it, great gig and gives a good idea of what the crowds are like at Exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 ezdmanx

Would love to see that Exit gig. You should upload it. I was at exit last summer, mental crowd alright!

Advertisement