Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy Testing - 7 month old

Options
  • 23-01-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I know in advance that this is'nt a medical board but just wondering if it's possible to bring a 7 month old child anywhere for allergy testing? From 3 months on he was diagnosed with exzema and we're having sleepless nights as it's flaring up at night. We've tried everything, emulsifying lotion, less nightwear and also keeping his room a little cooler but we're getting mixed results. This outbreak is so bad he's cutting his face trying to scratch the irritation.

Our GP just keeps giving us fucidin for bad outbreaks but we're really trying to find out what is causing it to flare up. I suppose it could be his food or the detergent we use.

Does anyone know how we could go about organising an allergy test. I dont want to go back again to my GP as we have been three times in the last month with it and he keeps fobbing us off saying he's far too young for tests.

Regards,

Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We had our young son tested in the UK in an allergy clinic in Harley st.
    Dr Adrian Morris was very good and specializes in allergies, Our son also suffered from Eczma when he was small and although he has grown out of it he was diagnosed with peanut allergy during the tests which was something that could have been fatal if undiagnosed.
    The cost was around GBP120 and we were able to make an appointment almost immediately, in contrast to here...
    Have a search on google for surrey allergy clinic
    http://www.allergy-network.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tell your gp you want an appointment made and get him/her to write you the letter and post it yourself or tell them that if this is not done you will change dr and as your child is under two you still have the services of the baby nurse from the local health clinic get in touch with her and get advice and get her to contact the gp if needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi,
    one of my children has eczema, and linked with this some asthma problems as well. I sympathise with you as it is very hard to deal with and we have used countless creams and lotions over the years. Tracking donw the root cause has proved impossible, though we do know that certain things will exacerbate her symptoms.
    However, I do have to agree with your GP that its too early to test for allergies. In particular, as your son can only be be on solid food a couple of months now, a food allergy is most unlikely. (In fact genuine food alergies are actually very rare).

It could be the detergents you are using, so you could try changing to a different brand for a few weeks to see if anything changes. The problem is that other things are also changing in that few weeks, so it might be difficult to know if the change of detergent is successful or not! It could also be caused by any of a thousand other things you can or cant control, including genes!
    It really is a very frustrating condition to sort out.
    My only advice is
    A. Dont waste your money on Allergy testing for the moment
    B. Get a referral from your GP to a dermatologist
    C. Be consistent and persistent with the creams - put them on every morning, every night, and every time you change the childs nappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

All GP's in the UK are aware of the national standards for treating children who MAY have exzema even if there might not be a positive diagnosis. And in babies and toddlers there usually is not.
    In simple terms if it 'looks like' - then treat with the highest dose of steroids then gradually gradually / slowly slowly reduce potency of the PX treatment.
    Do otherwise and the child will suffer continually as well as damaging the skin.

Advertisement