Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication Allocation in the NDP

Options
  • 23-01-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

It looks as if the Government is planning to allocate over €400m in the NDP to address the communications shortcomings in Ireland - including broadband.
    There will be €435m for communications, including measures 'to address market failures in the provision of broadband'.

Wonder how much has been 'promised' to Eircom?

M.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm always suspicious of these announcements. Is the allocation new, up or down? Has it already been allocated via other means? Is it a reannouncement?

They couldn't resist the "market failures" comment I notice. Of course there's no regulatory failure at all, perish the thought.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm with Adam .. is this just a rehash of the left over GBS money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are one and a half new commitments in the new NDP:

There will be consideration given to a new phase of MANs once the current phase has been completed. Any new projects will be targeted and developed with the National Spatial "Strategy" in mind.

A scheme is being developed to to provide broadband to areas that the GBS and the MANs do not currently "cover", areas that the private sector see as uneconomic to serve.

I would cynically ask the govt. if those people who have MANs running outside their front door yet can't get DSL/Wireless are included in these areas "that would not be reached" by the MANS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

That cash is to be used over 7 years I believe; so it's not that impressive if viewed over such a time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Previous announcements of funding of €170M were to cover the current phase of 27 MAN's as well the next phases of 120 MAN's. It appears however that 80 of the 120 have now rolled into NDP 2. There is still no MAN planned for Shannon, Ennis, and 30+ other deserving locations. There is still about €20M of GBS funding not used either.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A scheme is being developed to to provide broadband to areas that the GBS and the MANs do not currently "cover", areas that the private sector see as uneconomic to serve.
    There might be a lot fewer of the areas the GBS don't cover if the DCMNR hadn't killed off the scheme. There are a lot of pissed off communities out there who had applications ready to go for phase three, which they were expecting to be announced around September 2005.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

thegills wrote:
    There is still no MAN planned for Shannon, Ennis, and 30+ other deserving locations.
    ...Castlebar, Westport...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

dahamsta wrote:

They couldn't resist the "market failures" comment I notice. Of course there's no regulatory failure at all, perish the thought.

Communications Regulator
    The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) is the statutory body responsible for the regulation of the electronic communications (telecommunications, radio communications and broadcasting
    transmission) and the postal sectors. ComReg is the national regulatory authority for these sectors in accordance with EU and Irish laws.

ComReg has a range of functions and objectives in relation to the provision of electronic communications networks, electronic communications services and associated facilities and post. These include:
    • Ensuring compliance with obligations;
    • To promote competition;
    • To contribute to the development of the internal market;
    • To promote the interests of users within the European Community;
    • To ensure efficient management and use of the radio frequency spectrum and numbers from the national numbering scheme; and
    • To promote the development of the postal sector, in particular, the availability of a universal service within, to and from the State at an affordable price for the benefit of all users, including disabled
    users.

Legislation will be brought forward to strengthen the powers of ComReg, including provisions to promote faster Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) which has been a very important factor in accelerating broadband take-up in other countries.

Yawn...
    They haven't done much on points 1 - 4 (don't know much about the last two but I imagine it's roughly the same as 1 - 4)

In other words more of the same.

Advertisement