Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leyland Thomas

Options
  • 23-01-2007 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking for for info on this particular type of car, the 'Leyland Thomas Eight luxury touring car', there isnt much to be found (or that I can find on the net) so I was wondering if anyone here had any info or knew of serious UK car forums where I would be likely to find any info, sites, pictures etc etc.

Many thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ransomes 1936

very little has been written about the leyland eight touring car.there is a book available on Amazon (Profile Publications no 26 the Leyland eight) written by Hugh tours in the 1960s. in April 2007 the automobile magazine did a very good five page article on the leyland eight.
    because of the Leyland cars enormous cost and a global recession of the 1920s only about 19 leyland touring cars were built none of which survived into preservation. (although a guy called David Heywood has built one in England)
    one of the most noted leyland cars is the one that Michael Collins travelled in the day he died. after the events of one 1922 this car was sent back badly damaged to Leylands where it was then dispatched to Africa where it ended up being scrapped. on November 2nd the sunday world was duped into publishing a hoax report by a PortLaois Family claiming they had the car.
    I live down here in Co Wexford and extensiveness the history of Veteran cars with an Irish History

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

A long time coming but a solid answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

The very first classic car magazine I ever bought had a Leyland Eight in it, the Dave Heywood built car. Classic and Sportscar December 1985....theres a copy on Ebay UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ransomes 1936

in September I visited Mike A Suthcliffe in Dunstable Bedfordshire restorer of all things Early Leyland and the Author of "the Leyland man". he informed me that the leyland society hope to produce something in the near future on the Leyland eight.
    I believe that the David Heywood Built Replica is Now almost complete. I will be very much looking forward to seeing it.
    there is two partial photos of Michael Collins and Emmet Dalton in the back of their Leyland Eight in her Book "the Day Collins was shot"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Just found this amazing online archive of Motosport magazine

MotorSport March 1974 article on the Leyland Eight

Continued in Motorsport April 1974

You can also zoom in on original pages.
    I'm going to lose hours in this archive...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement