Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in mucky garden all the time

Options
  • 23-01-2007 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm hoping this is in the right forum. Feel free to move it if it's not.

My neighbours have 2 small dogs that are constantly left outside. They have practically no hard, dry ground to walk around on and the owners never, ever clean up after them. They only ever shout at them not to go into the house when they go out to feed them. They never walk them and they never play with them. I've tried tackfully to suggest a change in their attitude but to no avail. :(

The problem is, do I report the neighbours to the ISPCA for a certain element of cruelty to the dogs. They'll surely know who made the call and I'm not sure if they won't get pissed off over it.

Do I report them or just let the dogs continue to live in the filth and much that they have been for so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Animal and Pet Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you can put up with the resulting flak you might receive, I'd report it to the RSPCA. The owners might know you reported it but could n't prove it. It might be hard to get a prosecution though, if the animals are in good health and well fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

The RSPCA do not exist in this country (thank god for that). have you tried talking to the neighbours yourself, just getting to know htem like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The RSPCA do not exist in this country
    Aye. We have the ISPCA instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Report them immediately!
    Why should you talk to them. Report them and it will get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jamesobrady

Thats a tricky one....
    Strictly speaking if its the lack of walking and playing with of the dogs that bothers you, then frankly, the majority of dog owners are guilty of that. Unfortunately what with kids/work/pressures etc dog walking tend to be peoples last priorities. Which is unfortunate obviously enough.

If the dogs are simply dirty/mucky, but not whining/barking excessively and are well fed then im not sure cruelty in the criminal sense is apparant.

If the area is covered in dog poop and thats what the dogs have to run around in its not good...Id report them.
    The unfortunate thing is even reporting them may not change anything..your neighbours might decide the dogs are too much trouble and abandon them.

Fwiw i've recently found a dog rescue very helpful and informative with local knowledge, and by the nature of the work they usually have a good working relationship with the local gardai. My first port of call would be a dog rescue rather than an spca, discuss the problem, and they might be able to arrange a visit without the neighbours knowing it was you who actioned it....theres always esb/sky tv/broadband people about on ladders who report what they see in neighbours yards etc.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Thats a tricky one....
    Strictly speaking if its the lack of walking and playing with of the dogs that bothers you, then frankly, the majority of dog owners are guilty of that.

I really hope your wrong about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jamesobrady

Gillie wrote:
    I really hope your wrong about that!
    I'd like to think so...maybe its just my estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jodie Charlie

I'd like to think anyone who commits to getting a dog should have at least a half an hour spare to walk them and a bit more for some training during the day and if they don’t that they would hire a dog walker!!! Making sure any animal in my care receives there daily exercise is up there on my priorities as well as work, family etc

I would contact the DSPCA to go around and have a polite chat - they won't need to say it was you. Or even just ring them yourself to see if they can do anything!!! Maybe they just don't realise how cruel this is to the dogs and if they don't have the time they may look into rehoming them if someone like the DSPCA gives them the right information or maybe they are just cruel people!
    I don't think very many rescues would have the time or resources to go around to people’s houses unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The RSPCA do not exist in this country (thank god for that).

What's wrong with the RSPCA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I think the poster was making the point that in Ireland we don't have British organisations. (Actually, the RSPCA came out of the work of 'Humanity Dick' Martin, an Irish landlord who was very concerned about humane treatment of animals; not sure how he felt about tenants, though.)

If you have the time, maybe your neighbours might let you take the dogs for a half-hour walk a couple of times a week? Then you could train them to do some tricks (dogs, not neighbours), and start getting the neighbours a bit proud of them, a bit more seeing them as pets.

I know how they feel about the mucky paws; my floors are covered in pawprints once it rains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Demonique wrote:
    What's wrong with the RSPCA?

I`ve lost a lot of respect for them since they got involved in politics. Also I don`t like the fact that their uniform resembles that of a police officer of which they have no similar powers. I watched a series about new rspca officers, it was a joke, people who come out of a slaughter house traumitised crying etc should not be working as an officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

It is a shame that the likes of the ISPCA, animal shelters are required. But unfortunately they are. We should not really criticise any organisation that are doing things on a voluntary basis or a non profit orginsation. Also I have volunteered some of my time to help out shetlers and it really digusts me to see what I have seen. You need to educate people not to abuse any animal.

I had a rescued donkey for companion for my horse. Joe (the donkey) was scared stiff of me at first but I gained his confidence. he never was at ease when it came to men and run a mile if a man had a stick/long handled brush.

Its not a nice thing going to an abbatoir but they have to do it and as you mentioned that are new to the job so it would get time and they would not get so emotional and get with the practicalities of the abbottoir to see if everything is done correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

I would agree to that.An abbatoir is the last station for an animal and they know it.The smell of fear and death is in the air.It is a shocking sight and I do understand that people new to the job are getting upset.
    Have you ever been in an abbatoir Doctor Devil??

I am wondering a bit why you're posting on this special forum as it strkes me that you are not an animal person.I might be mistaken, and if I am than I aplologize.

Advertisement