Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Customer care hanging up.......ffs

Options
  • 23-01-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Anyone else experience this, or am I just the lucky one?

Trying to cancel my account is all, no verbals, no swearing, all calm....

Then I ask a procedural question or 2 and they hang up....

Took me 8 months to get connected, and now this.....

I dont got the energy, seriously.....

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Anyone else experience this, or am I just the lucky one?

Trying to cancel my account is all, no verbals, no swearing, all calm....

Then I ask a procedural question or 2 and they hang up....

Took me 8 months to get connected, and now this.....

M

A tactic some employ in order to stop people from leaving. Keep at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

Nothing surprises me with them.The words BT, Customer and care do not belong in the same sentence. Just getting through to a representative is an ordeal, I get the feeling they all dive for cover under their desks when the telephone starts ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

I think you have to put cancelation in writing and post to BT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

stanley1 wrote:
    I think you have to put cancelation in writing and post to BT.
    I'd recommend a fax instead along with an e-mail. Both are possible to show when they where sent in if they don't cancel you with in the 30 days you asked for (standard cancellation time).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I cancelled by email through complaints@ or customerservice@ (I can't remember which, check their website)... not a spot of bother getting a cancellation number off them. (keep this number safe)
    Wouldn't bother my arse ringing them when you can drop an email on their lap and forget about it for a few days.
    Less headwrecking.

One word of advise is get on record when your final bill is due, pay that, then cancel the direct debit with your bank.
    I did this after some of the nightmare stories I heard here on Boards.
    And sure enough I had them trying to bill me for months I wasn't even with them... I still had to ring them and get the issue sorted out, but at least I didn't have to chase them to get my money back.
    There's no reason not to, and if the shít hits the fan; you'll be glad you did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Had similar problem as DonkeyStyle regarding billing after I left them (one e-mail only) but one phone call to customer service (after some 40 min waiting) and some hold on the line "while I look into it" (read getting permission to refund it) and I got it all back to my account effective from the date my new ISP had started working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm having a nightmare with them at the moment. Took me ten weeks to get connected, during which time I ran up a E400 dial-up bill. Service is slow / unreliable. I've been trying to get a wireless router from them since December 6th. I've made numerous phone calls. I get cut off about 60% of the time. The only people who deign to speak to me are so clueless that I actually wish they'd hang up. Belatedly, I realised the wisdom of emailing them, for the sake of my sanity and for having records. The automatic response assures you someone will call within a day. Eight days later I get what looks like an automated response saying they can't find my account. In the meantime, I had sent a further two emails, no reply as of yet. I called up again today. Guy listened patiently, then cut me off. I called back and another guy told me the first guy was now on lunch. I asked to speak to his supervisor (I've worked in call centres, I know how annoying this request is, so I was ultra-polite). I got nowhere. I put my ball-breaking girlfriend on the phone. He casually told her he was going to terminate the call, as he'd already spend 26minutes with us and he couldn't sit there doing nothing. The only promptness BT has had is in sending me out my bill - E200. I tried to cancel the direct debit but I was cut off.

Come back Eircom - all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

My sister ordered broadband with BT and it took them 3 months to send out the modem. Then there was no DSL splitter in the package. We rang them and they said that they would courier it out next day. That was last week. Do you think its arrived yet??!!

Is there no regulator in this area who can say - BT, your support is crap, improve it or you are out....

A

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anyone having dd trouble with anyone but especially BT should instruct their bank and I mean instruct to complain to BT's sponsoring bank. One of the awful things about the DD system is how unwieldy the complaints system is.

You could also try complaining to ipso (have a look at www.ipso.ie)
    IPSO Staff Contact Information

Irish Payment Services Organisation (IPSO) Ltd.
    12-13 Cumberland Street
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co. Dublin.
    Ph: 00353 1 6636740

They apparently will entertain complaints as a last resort according to a nice man who I spoke to there last week and who thinks all in the garden is very rosy with the dd system. 'Very few complaints received'

It would be great if they got a taste of what really goes on out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Ah BT. They chased me for quite some time over the sum of €350 they reckoned I owed them. Like the others, I had cancelled my service for a long time. Instead of contacting me after 1/2 months they just let it build up and up and finally wanted a bulk amount.

After receiving numerous "f*ck offs" and latterly being ignored, they and their debt collection agency have finally gone quiet.

• Advertisement

bugler wrote:
    Ah BT. They chased me for quite some time over the sum of €350 they reckoned I owed them. Like the others, I had cancelled my service for a long time. Instead of contacting me after 1/2 months they just let it build up and up and finally wanted a bulk amount.

After receiving numerous "f*ck offs" and latterly being ignored, they and their debt collection agency have finally gone quiet.

The problem for anyone caught in this type of situation is that there is no central agency (at least as far as I am aware) to report the likes of BT or any other similar company to for this type of behaviour. So they can behave with impunity and put people under immense stress with the result that people often pay these claimed amounts simply to get the debt collectors off their backs. I know of two instances of people who paid up in such circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 s-t-e-p-h-e-n

Was going to ring them up and move to them but after seeing this It's straight over to Digiweb!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

On paper, their €45 offer looks like the biz.

But my Mother, now suffering from terminal cancer, can't even stop them sending her bills for a service she cancelled over a year ago.

I'm trying to resolve this issue myself, but cannot.

I'm within a hairs-breath of contacting the Joe Duffy show about their complely and utter fucking muppetry in the Irish telecoms market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

dub45 wrote:
    The problem for anyone caught in this type of situation is that there is no central agency (at least as far as I am aware) to report the likes of BT or any other similar company to for this type of behaviour. So they can behave with impunity and put people under immense stress with the result that people often pay these claimed amounts simply to get the debt collectors off their backs. I know of two instances of people who paid up in such circumstances.

Any point in complaining to comreg? Did they have a minimum level of customer service required when the ISPs got their licence?

A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Instruct your bank to cancel the Direct Debit - Simple

Instruct your bank to cancel the Direct Debit - Simple

Unfortunately in reality it does not prove to be that simple - there have been many examples given here on boards of banks telling customers that they have to cancel it via the company involved - not through the bank. There have also been many examples of Companies just continuing to submit cancelled direct debits and continuing to have them paid.

I am not sure (I am quite prepared to be corrected on this) that the banks can actually trace a cancelled direct debit coming through and stop it hitting an account.

Maybe someone working in the bank could clarify this. Direct debits do not appear to have an individual identifying number which would allow this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Banks have to cancel any standing order on account's holder request.
    Your bank account belongs to you, not to BT !

Of course you can cancel a standing order on your own bank account, as you are the only one to be able to create one as well.

I guess you spoke to a lazy guy who did not want to bother at canceling your order.

My advice :

- Registered letter to cancel from this date (Based on next date billing).
    - Pay what you have to pay.
    - Cancel standing order.
    - Forget about them even if they send letter afterwards.

mick.fr wrote:
    Banks have to cancel any standing order on account's holder request.
    Your bank account belongs to you, not to BT !

Of course you can cancel a standing order on your own bank account, as you are the only one to be able to create one as well.

I guess you spoke to a lazy guy who did not want to bother at canceling your order.

My advice :

- Registered letter to cancel from this date (Based on next date billing).
    - Pay what you have to pay.
    - Cancel standing order.
    - Forget about them even if they send letter afterwards.

Firstly we are talking direct debits here not standing orders and you do have total control over a standing order but not a direct debit. With a standing order the payee has no account details but with a direct debit they have. When you cancel a direct debit there is no requirement for the payee to remover your account details from their records so there is nothing to stop them continuing to submit the direct debit even if it has been cancelled.

What I would like to know is the mechanism whereby the bank could stop a direct debit hitting an account given the huge numbers submitted to them on a daily basis when direct debits do not appear to have a unique number unlike say a cheque which can be stopped after issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep once you ask for a DD to be canceled that's it with regards to taking cash out of your account. It's why DDs rock for paying bills.

Yep once you ask for a DD to be canceled that's it with regards to taking cash out of your account. It's why DDs rock for paying bills.

Indeed its a perfect system!:eek:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=42652&highlight=direct+debits

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    From the rest of that thread.
    Good advice but how does anyone not notice EUR 600 being siphoned out of their account each month after it should have concluded?
    Another post just after that one.
    I have previously worked for 2 large Irish banks, and direct debits are either fixed or variable - fixed meaning same amount on same date each month, variable meaning variable amounts, but notice had to be sent in writing 15 days before amount is debited from a persons account. If an amount is taken that shouldn't be and the a/c holders bank is notified they had to refund the money to the a/c holder and then return the amount unpaid or seek a refund from the originator of the direct debit. From what I recall you have alot more security with a direct debit if money goes to an incorrect a/c etc than you have with a Standing order.
    So in essence if you don't keep an eye on your finances you can maybe, possibly get ripped off - then again if you can keep track of your finances you can use them with no problems at all. So in other words "a fool and his money are soon parted".

dub45 wrote:
    Unfortunately in reality it does not prove to be that simple - there have been many examples given here on boards of banks telling customers that they have to cancel it via the company involved - not through the bank. There have also been many examples of Companies just continuing to submit cancelled direct debits and continuing to have them paid.

I am not sure (I am quite prepared to be corrected on this) that the banks can actually trace a cancelled direct debit coming through and stop it hitting an account.

Maybe someone working in the bank could clarify this. Direct debits do not appear to have an individual identifying number which would allow this to happen.

Eh, Hello!

Its your money and your bank account. YOu have the right to cancel the DD. If theres any hassle, close the account ( or threaten your bank that you will) and that will sort it.;)

Eh, Hello!

Its your money and your bank account. YOu have the right to cancel the DD. If theres any hassle, close the account ( or threaten your bank that you will) and that will sort it.;)

And hello to you too:)

What are you quoting is the theory the sad fact is as borne out from the accounts of many people here is that it is not the reality of what happens out there. And the most basic thing you suggest: closing the account may simply not be practical for many people.

dub45 wrote:
    And hello to you too:)

What are you quoting is the theory the sad fact is as borne out from the accounts of many people here is that it is not the reality of what happens out there. And the most basic thing you suggest: closing the account may simply not be practical for many people.

;) HELLO! I personnally bank with Permanent TSB. I have cancelled DD's in the past with no problem.
    Putting it simply, its your bank account, its your money, Instruct the bank to stop the DD or threaten to close the account. Speakdirectly to the Bank manager and explain that you want the DD closed and a statement in writing to that effect.
    Vote with your feet - If you are not happy - Move:eek:

;) HELLO! I personnally bank with Permanent TSB. I have cancelled DD's in the past with no problem.
    Putting it simply, its your bank account, its your money, Instruct the bank to stop the DD or threaten to close the account. Speakdirectly to the Bank manager and explain that you want the DD closed and a statement in writing to that effect.
    Vote with your feet - If you are not happy - Move:eek:

And hello again! Here is an example of what happens on a routine basis in the real world: Company (in this case NTL ) and the bank at fault:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055039018

I can never figure out why this pamphlet never seems to be available in banks? both for staff and customers and surely customer signing up for dds should be issued with them as a matter of routine?

http://www.ipso.ie/frames/documents/PayersGuide.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

dub45 wrote:
    Firstly we are talking direct debits here not standing orders and you do have total control over a standing order but not a direct debit.

If you have no control over the direct debits set up on your account, it is because of your bank's policies rather than any inherent technical difficulty.

I bank with TSB, and their online banking website gives a list of all standing orders and direct debits attached to each account, and allows any to be cancelled online.

I tell you, the old-style banks are as bad as the telecoms companies!

Yes using internet banking you can check the accounts you have once or twice a day easily and keep these transactions under control - as I said before it's up to the person to keep their finances safe.

Yes using internet banking you can check the accounts you have once or twice a day easily and keep these transactions under control - as I said before it's up to the person to keep their finances safe.

Of course the individual has to keep an eye on things but there appears to be nothing to stop a company persisting in submitting a cancelled direct debit.
    There is nothing in the procedure that requires a company to remove bank account details etc from its records when a direct debit is cancelled. This should be a basic requirement of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I was just about to start a thread on this!

This has happened to me several times, once just now. Northerners, eh?
    ;)

Having said that i've just been onto a guy there - i queried the "self-install" charge (successfully it seems) - and he was a very nice man. Mind you he could have had his finger on the button...

If its not a case of BT staff hanging up and I'm not convinced it is (the disconnect is a beep-beep-beep) then BT have a telecoms issue...
    :confused:

Also wrt the direct debit: its your money. If you're not happy with the service, pull the plug on the DD. I did this to SKY last year, they sent threatening letters (breach of contract etc) including one from a (presumbably ficticious) debt-collection agency. Like a good boy, I recycled all the letters and haven't heard from them since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

galactus wrote:
    If its not a case of BT staff hanging up and I'm not convinced it is (the disconnect is a beep-beep-beep) then BT have a telecoms issue...
    I think it could be to do with the way they compile productivity stats in the call centres.

Reps are probably judged on the amount of calls they handle per day, rather than the duration.

I'd say this was the case if you were inititally talking to someone and your query was taking them some time to sort out and they hung up.

I'd ask for the rep's name at the beginning of the converstation and state that if the line is 'dropped' for any reason that you will be calling back and asking for them personally by name the next time.

Advertisement