Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dramatic bike rescue

Options
  • 23-01-2007 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Not sure what the point of this post but I found it rather funny at the time. It was a few days ago when I locked my bike in town. I finally paid the price for investing in a cheapo lock when the key snapped like a breadstick and my bike was stranded on a pole...

I was kind of desperate and became even more so when the man at the bike shop told me the council charged 100 euro to cut it free. My bike is'nt even worth that much! As a last resort I wandered into Pearse Garda Station and held my severed key aloft in the faint hope that someone would care. The reaction I got was stunning.

The garda looking after the place seemed kind of bored but my predicament inspired him to action. It was as if he had been waiting for something like this his whole career. He told me to rush up to my bike, that he'd go and ring the fire brigade and that everything would be ok.

When I reached my bike on Stephens Green there was a squad car with flashing lights parked beside it and a crowd of gawpers wondering what was going on. The guards told me the the fire engine would be there any second. I was like wtf? Then I hear a siren in the distance and I think no way!

Around the corner comes a huge red fire engine up a busy street the wrong way sending traffic in every direction. Pulls up outside my bike and 6 firemen pile out, one armed with an oversized scissors. One little snip and the concerned onlookers breathed a collective sigh of relief that the the eight heroes involved had saved the day...and it didnt cost me a penny! Newfound respect for the emergency services for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

did they get your name and address?

if so look forward to a €200 call out for the emergecy sevices!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds abit over the top, if they have your details expect a bill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That is messed up, unless they were preparing to do a drill or something. Did they ask for proof it was your bike?
    If not what is to stop some scumbag wandering in with a broken key and picking out a nice bike with a top class lock, safe in the knowledge the firebrigade can get through anything with those pneumatic jaws of life yokes.

No doubt the lad in the bike shop had a cutters he could have rented you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭pokypoky

I dont think I'll be getting a bill and if I do I shall read it and then pretend I never did. Never let it be said that the cyclist is a second class citizen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

In future, I'd suggest you call a locksmith. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement