Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with Full beams on Motorways

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cant say i have ever been on a pitch black motorway.. never! They do not exist. There is always light from towns and cities, stars, moon etc. I once turned my lights off for a few seconds when there were no other cars out of curiosity. It was perfectly safe. I could still see everything in front of me, just a lot darker obviously.

Low beams are good enough for me. Then again i had laser eye surgery years ago and have pretty good night vision so maybe its just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Saruman wrote:
    Cant say i have ever been on a pitch black motorway.. never! They do not exist. There is always light from towns and cities, stars, moon etc. I once turned my lights off for a few seconds when there were no other cars out of curiosity. It was perfectly safe. I could still see everything in front of me, just a lot darker obviously.

Low beams are good enough for me. Then again i had laser eye surgery years ago and have pretty good night vision so maybe its just me.

Have you ever driven on the M1?? 50% of this motorway is pitch black.

Oh and your comments about low beams Daft!

The high beam is there so you can safely see every inch of the road ahead and if in the off chance you come across a car or object in the darkness you can make the necessary movement to avoid it.

Also the whole point of lights in the pitch black is so other drivers can see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saruman wrote:
    Cant say i have ever been on a pitch black motorway.. never! They do not exist. There is always light from towns and cities, stars, moon etc.

That's a good point. Perhaps that explains why my perception of visibility is much higher than the figures quoted in this thread
    Saruman wrote:
    Then again i had laser eye surgery years ago and have pretty good night vision so maybe its just me.

Same here. I was lucky and ended up with 20/12 vision, which sure helps too, especially at night

Advertisement