Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Chemistry - am i too late?

Options
  • 23-01-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I'm looking at a career change at the moment and i'm looking to get onto a course in university. However, one of the requirements of the course is leaving cert chemistry - which i do not have. It's been 11 years since i've done the leaving. I'm hoping to do the exam this summer - am i being unrealistic? Is 5 months too short to do the course starting from the very beginning (with grinds) and get a decent result? I have no chemistry knowlege whatsoever so it is really from the VERY beginning! Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Honestly? Yes, I think so.

I took Chemistry for the Leaving Cert, and it took us the whole 2 years to cover the course, let alone revise it (or even understand it..!) The syllabus covers a wide scope, much of which takes time to comprehend, digest etc. Even simple things like learning the 150 odd definitions can be time consuming.

Unless it is the only subject you will be studying for the next 5 months, and you plan on dedicating a huge amount of time to it every day, I don't think its feasible. So much theory blah blah.

However, you may be a chemistry whizz kid and I may be completely wrong. Good luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Re-reading, I think it may be the only exam you're sitting??

In that case, I take it back. With a lot of hard work, and much focus, I do think it could be done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Plenty of time if you're only doing one subject. Spend a few hours a night studying and doing past papers (after a few months) and you'll have more study done that most students!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 newbie1001

Yip - just to be clear - it's just the one exam (chemistry) i intend to do in the summer. Thanks for the feedback so far - any comments welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I'd say you have a good chance at doing well at it. Try get in touch with someone who knows the syllabus an get an idea of how much you have to cover.Should be manageable

• Advertisement
Advertisement