Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS positioning Question

Options
  • 23-01-2007 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hiya

I have an under construction page up for a client and they want there logo up there centred both vertically and horizontally.

Could someone give me an example of how to do this? I am failing miserably!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Just happens to be #42 in this article I posted earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

thanks Aidan, that is some link! thanks

I have an example from W3C which works in firefox only, I'm going to try the example on that list now.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

If it's only the logo on a blank page, I'd just do:
    <html>
    <head>
    <style type="text/css">
    body {
    background: url(stupid_logo_thing.png) no-repeat center;
    height: 90%;
    }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

Works ok in firefox and IE6... not aware of how it works with other browsers, but then it beats the "Just tell them to fúck off" suggestion I was going to make.

i just spent a couple of hours getting that alignment sorted and i am sure as hell charging for it! what a pain in the....

thanks for all the help!

Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

It really shouldn't take a designer more than a few minutes to do that... for example, DonkeyStyle's solution works perfectly...

• Advertisement

thanks for that mirror..... useful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think what Mirror may be saying is that it would be bad form to charge a few hours work for getting a vertical&horizontal alignment sorted when really it should be a quick code drop. For example that's really easy with tables afair.

If I am designing a site and I spend time learning a certain feature I will most likely not charge my client. I start charging for the time it takes me to implement the feature. Not sure how the pros do it.. Fair enough, we are always learning so there may be a grey area between learning/implementation/creation but in this particular case I think it would be wrong to charge 2 hours work for that, that's just taking the piss.

Precisely what I was implying Gordon, thank you.

No offence was intended comer_97, I just think it's bad form as Gordon noted.

Hi Gordon, you are the voice of reason. I was just annoyed last night with that request, especially as it is a holding page for a site that is under construction.

And of course I didn't charge the client. Although I would love to.

But it does bring up an interesting point about charging! I think we have to take a hit now and then for this sort of learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

comer_97 wrote:
    But it does bring up an interesting point about charging! I think we have to take a hit now and then for this sort of learning curve!
    Yeah, I'd be interested to know how others work with this.

I think it works differently with lawyers for example (but then lawyers are a 'special breed' ahem..). A friend of mine is a lawyer and he is in charge of searching back old case files and seeing if there is a prior case/precedent that can be applied to his teams situation. These hours are charged for of course. So, relating that to web design - webdesigners should charge for everything - if they don't know how to do something - they bill the client for the time it takes them to read up on it.

Or maybe the moral of the story is - if you are designing a site for a lawyers firm - charge them a sh*tload of money! :D

• Advertisement

I suppose if you build it in to your price from the outset.

say i was asked to do that job that this thread is about.

If I knew that I wasn't sure how to do it and told the customer that would be 2 hours at my usual rate and they agreed then it's all good.

I agree with parts.

In Gordons scenario it doesn't really apply. The lawyer has the content, knows where to look, and knows how to read. If he had to learn how to read first it would make sense I suppose...

I also agree with charging them a sh*tload of money! :D

And you're right too comer_97, if it's specified from the outset and the client doesn't take issue then charge every cent you can! ;)

Advertisement