Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private

Options
  • 23-01-2007 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

My primary residence for fiscal and social insurance purposes is Ireland, but I also spend a lot of time in my secondary residence: France.

My only health insurance currently is the Irish public one. I would like to pay into a private insurance fund that would cover my healthcare needs all over Europe, in particular while I am residing in France. Does this exist and what are the best providers out there?

A friend of mine said that some new EU law gives EU citizens the right to choose a healthcare provider in ANY EU country. (same case as for bank accounts)

I'd be very grateful if anyone could lead me in the right direction, even a few internet links would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As a EU citizen you have the right (with the appropiate med card to prove it) the right to the same care as a native resident would get, can't answer the choice of provider etc.

I do know that VHI has a travel insurance which is valid if you spend up to 180 days outside Ireland and maximum of 60 days per trip. If not suitable buy a second private insurance in France (can't be more expensive then here!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Nody wrote:
    As a EU citizen you have the right (with the appropiate med card to prove it) the right to the same care as a native resident would get, can't answer the choice of provider etc.

I do know that VHI has a travel insurance which is valid if you spend up to 180 days outside Ireland and maximum of 60 days per trip. If not suitable buy a second private insurance in France (can't be more expensive then here!).

What I'm looking for in fact is a long term healthcare insurance, for the rest of my life, which would cover me for doctor's bills, dental and eyecare, any operations, etc. while living in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Nody wrote:

What I'm looking for in fact is a long term healthcare insurance, for the rest of my life, which would cover me for doctor's bills, dental and eyecare, any operations, etc. while living in France.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

esperanza wrote:
    Buy one in France would be my recommendation then (and expect to pay a hefty fee for such an insurance anywhere).

Advertisement