Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Tips and Tricks

Options
  • 23-01-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

I think a thread where we share the various tips and tricks that we've picked up would be good. The kinda stuff that the tutorial just doesn't go into. Needless to say, keep it legit.

Tips

-If possible always build rather than buy a ship. For this you will need a character with industry skills (even a complete noob industry alt can have Industry 5), a blueprint (copy or original, bought on the market or contract) and the minerals the blueprint lists. Blueprint originals cost huge amounts but can be used an infinate number of times, while copies can be used a limited number of times (usually 1), but cost far far less.

-Train learning skills. I know they're boring, but it will really really help. Train all the basic ones to 4, and then if you can afford it get the advanced learning skills. The advanced learning skills are great because you're starting off at level 1 again, which means you can train two or three levels very quickly, which means +2 or +3 to the attribute for just a few hours of training.

-Salvage is extremely profitable, especially if you're a mission runner. Train it now. Also wonderfully helpful are tractor beams. I convert my Drake from missile behemoth to salvage monster. 4 Tractor Beams, 4 Salvagers. You can float along sucking in wrecks and harvesting them four at a time. Destroyers are the more traditional salvage monsters. Note: Mission drones and mercenaries provide no salvage. Further note: Contrary to popular belief, in my experience you can salvage as many wrecks at once as you have salvagers.

-Use jet-mining. Lots of noobs don't figure this out for themselves. When mining, fill your cargo hold and then jettison the ore. Then, everything you mine, drop into the same can. Once the can is full, or you get sick of mining, go back and get your hauler (badger/iteron) and move the ore in one/two big loads. Note: Cans only survive in space for an hour or two. If you need to abandon one for a long time, move it all into a new can at the last possible moment.

Tricks

- Missions generate asteroid belts a lot of the time. This can lead to being able to mine in a private belt right in the middle of busy high security. Do some missions, keep an eye out and when you find one with a belt (sometimes you can get omber, yum), finish the mission but DON'T tell your agent. Head back to the mission area and mine at your leisure. Unless someone is very good at using probes, they can't find your private belt. It does mean you sacrifice the agent time bonus, but thats unlikely to be more than a fraction of what the belt is worth. Most missions will remain for a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

CTRL-Q icon_pirate.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

regi wrote:
    CTRL-Q icon_pirate.gif

logoffski ftl

nano-domi blockade runner ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

regi wrote:
    CTRL-Q icon_pirate.gif

As seen at your friendly gank-camp by carebear maggots to avoid the pew! pew! pew! POP!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Read the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

nesf wrote:
    Read the forums.
    good god no .... keep away from that thread trolled flamefest infested pile of whingeing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

-Use jet-mining. Lots of noobs don't figure this out for themselves. When mining, fill your cargo hold and then jettison the ore. Then, everything you mine, drop into the same can. Once the can is full, or you get sick of mining, go back and get your hauler (badger/iteron) and move the ore in one/two big loads. Note: Cans only survive in space for an hour or two. If you need to abandon one for a long time, move it all into a new can at the last possible moment.

Get a hauler, preferably tanked & agile/speedy. Go to a busy 1.0 mining system. Find people [solitary preferred] mining into jet cans. Take their ore. Tank the miners pitiful dmg, warp out to sell ill gotten gains.

Like mining, but without the boring part. I dont do it myself, but apparently its the payoff is more psychological than ISK.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

For the love of god don't jetcan mine while your a newbie. You are more liable to get it stolen or worse (blown up).

Learn how to anchor secure cans and use them instead.

Also salvaging isn't as profitable as it was. If your just in it for the money you can do it faster just doing a mission and looting as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Sand wrote:
    Get a hauler, preferably tanked & agile/speedy. Go to a busy 1.0 mining system. Find people [solitary preferred] mining into jet cans. Take their ore. Tank the miners pitiful dmg, warp out to sell ill gotten gains.

Like mining, but without the boring part. I dont do it myself, but apparently its the payoff is more psychological than ISK.

Didn't think you played, Sand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

he plays it quite well by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Alt mining op ftw! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Didn't think you played, Sand

Ssh, I wasnt even here.

In terms of tips for new players:

When using drones against rats, make sure you dont let them get targeted by npcs. They cant tank like you should be able to. Aggro the mob, then launch drones, return drones to bay after dealing with mob, aggro next mob, launch drones, rinse & repeat. That said, drones shields are reset instantly in the drone bay, so keep an eye on them and return if theyre damaged.

Keep a Hull Rep and Armour Rep in your cargo bay at all times, even if you dont armour tank. If you do get damaged, fit them, do a lap of the station with them active, and dock when healed. Cheaper than station repair and every little counts when youre starting off.

When planning future ship upgrades, buy the modules & supporting skills youll want FIRST. Then the ship. You can plug most modules into your current setup and get use out of them straight away, whereas buying a spanking new ship first means youre waiting for the mods/weapons.

Another obvious one - when tanking NPCs in a less than speedy/agile ship and you think it might get tricky, always ensure youre lined up with some warpable planet/station/belt and moving towards it [double click in empty space]. If you have to warp out, youll do it much faster than if you had to turn about and reaccelerate. If your tank fails it might be the difference between getting out in your ship or your pod.

New players shouldnt be afraid of lo sec - its not *that* dangerous. Large regions are practically abandoned and Warp To Zero/"ships&pods killed in last hour" map tools means only AFK autopilots are really at risk. Just keep your ship insured, maintain your clone and dont have all your eggs in one basket. Basic stuff. Keep an eye out for the odd PirAlt wandering about - if their bio reads like a 13 year olds cry for attention dont hang about unless youre looking for trouble & smack talk. Most people there are running missions or mining like anywhere else.

When your mission running, and youve built up some standing with a particular agent dont be afraid to turn down crappy missions in favour of decent ones. You lose some standing, but you can make it up running Blockade or Massive Attack which is more profitable.

Oh and given the laughable buy orders out there [imo market shouldnt allow buy orders for less than 50% minerals cost - time wasting & cluttering up market with crap tbh. I dont believe anyone falls for them] if youre interested in liquidating assets quickly its often better to refine loot and sell the minerals.

Advertisement