Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone broadband - ?

Options
  • 23-01-2007 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Im considering getting vodafone broadband. There is v strong 3g coverage in my town and i think i have it at home just outside town - ill have to check with a 3g phone.

Does anyone have any experience with it? Does it work outside of 3g areas. what are the speeds really like etc etc

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Not sure whether its the same thing ,but when I got my 6680 last year I used it to connect on 3G. It was unbelievably expensive.

I think it's designed for emails ,not much throughput allowed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't have this so you might want to wait for confirmation or check out the thread in Ireland Offline section of boards, which has the actual facts on this. This is all off the top of my head.

Nah, you want HSDPA. You can get unlimited data transfer at 1.8Mpbs or something similar to that anyway with slower upload of about 128KB I think it is. High latency makes it bad for gaming, VOIP, P2P etc...

Something like 50 Euro a month I think for unlimited package and a 5 GB limit package for 40 Euro a month.

Outside of 3G areas, you get dial up speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

This topic seems to pop up about once a week on these boards...........I have the Vodafone data card, its very good, speeds of up to 1.8Mb, soon to be 3.6Mb in some areas.......depending on which card vodafone are now giving out.......the E620 has a max rate of 1.8Mb.......the USB modem can do up to 3.6Mb

Do a quick search, you will find all the info you need.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

godskitchen - do you find you are getting much packet loss? (Do a ping -c 100 www.bbc.co.uk and check the results)..

I find it atrocious in the evenings.. almost unusable.. and even now during the day in a different cell, 5 bars of 3G coverage, and the light turquoise for full HSDPA I 'm getting 5-10% packet loss.

Anyone else experience this?

Advertisement