Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tone of Voice in Graphic Design

Options
  • 23-01-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Howdie guys,

This is aimed at some of the designers who have been around longer with more experience and education. I'm currently working on a brief that asks us to emphasise on tone of voice for a target audience. We need to come up with four different tones of voice, and how to communicate with each.

I've created my four audiences to target the different tones at, i.e. Rock music fans as one, hip-hop as another and country and popular music audiences as the other two. Basing my audience around stereotypes, I assume that I would want to communicate something familiar to each along with an unexpected and bizarre option.

For instance, an expected Rock album cover would take the shape of something predominantly dark colours, gothic typefaces whilst a pop album could use pink and a bubbly happy councy font ?

Does anyone have any links or advice on books to read about this subject, I'm fairly certain I'm banging on the right door but not confident enough to walk in yet !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Is this for college? if so, why not ask your tutor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Because I cant find him and it was late at night, brain seems to work best at that time !

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

that'd be the right track alright.
    about tone of voice; are you literaly doing an audio/video thing or was it a metaphor for designing for a target market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

ah. i remember this type of project. the type you will NEVER have to do in the real world.

Advice: Find your lecturer, ask him leading questions till he tells you exactly what he wants, (he will have a mind-eye of what he wants always), give him/her what he/she wants, get ur A, get out of college and hope that you'v developed enough of a style on ur own after u done all the lecturers suggestions.

ps. if u can't bring urself he abandon ur ideas for the lecturers just have fun with it. sure if he doesn't like it sod him. some employer will LOVE it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

hot chick wrote:
    ah. i remember this type of project. the type you will NEVER have to do in the real world.

Advice: Find your lecturer, ask him leading questions till he tells you exactly what he wants, (he will have a mind-eye of what he wants always), give him/her what he/she wants, get ur A, get out of college and hope that you'v developed enough of a style on ur own after u done all the lecturers suggestions.

ps. if u can't bring urself he abandon ur ideas for the lecturers just have fun with it. sure if he doesn't like it sod him. some employer will LOVE it.

Best piece of advice I've gotten in years ... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement