Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Screen Saver wont start

• 24-01-2007 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I've did a clean install of XP Pro (SP2) last weekend with all the latest patches and updates. All is pretty much grand except that theres only 256mb ram in the machine so its not the fastest thing on earth but I could live with that.

The issue I'm having is that the screen saver never kicks in. I've got it set to 5 minutes for the screen saver and after 10 it should turn off the monitor but it just never starts. Its the MS starfield SS so its not a custom one or anything. The only things running are an epson printer monitoring app, skype, msn messenger & avg so nothing too unusual there. I've tried playing around with the intervals for the SS and the monitor but it made no difference.

I first noticed the problem before I installed any non-windows apps so it think its safe to rule them out.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

On some makes, the manufacturer installs their own power options program, this would overwrite the windows settings , have a look in control panel and see if there is something like this listed there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

can you preview the screen saver?
    and does it stay up?

256 is grand for xp for non gaming use, as long as you dont have too many apps open at the same time and dont have and skype or messenger crap loading every time you boot up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

mr_disc wrote:
    On some makes, the manufacturer installs their own power options program, this would overwrite the windows settings , have a look in control panel and see if there is something like this listed there....
    Its a retail disc so there'd be no custom manufacturer stuff on it.

mukki wrote:
    can you preview the screen saver?
    and does it stay up?

256 is grand for xp for non gaming use, as long as you dont have too many apps open at the same time and dont have and skype or messenger crap loading every time you boot up
    I can preview it from the display properties window and run it manually (ie Start-->Run-->c:\WINDOWS\system32\ssstars.scr) which is what I've taken to doing most evenings but it's an annoying thing to have to do.

Advertisement