Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Networking in School

Options
  • 24-01-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

A school wants me to help them put in their network.

This school is very badly laid out (lots of gaps between buildings - some of which are wooden prefabs) so only about 1/4 of it could be networked using cat5. I am not a big fan of wireless networks in schools due to the extra radiation but I have read up on it and it seems the radiation is very minute. Due to difficulty installing a wired network I have decided to deploy wireless in the school instead using a number of access points (3 or 4).

I was thinking of using the D-Link DWL-7100AP or the Linksys WAP54G (as I have used this linksys ap before and it seems fairly solid). Anyone have any recommendations for access points? anyone disagree with deploying wireless in a school? Any other ideas?

The school will be using the network soley for broadband access. There is no server installed in the school and it does not look like anything like that will be installed until the school is possibly knocked to the ground.

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Noel.

Comments

Advertisement