Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - Your Favourite Poet?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Who is your favourite poet from this years syllabus?

The list (from what I remember) is:

John Donne
    John Montague
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Sylvia Plath
    Patrick Kavanagh
    W.B. Yeats
    Robert Frost
    T.S. Eliot

For me, it has to be Montague, who is tipped to come up this year as it's his last on the course. I also loved Yeats...

As regards Plath being a ringer for this years paper, think again. She came up in 03 AND in 04 - do you not think people sitting the 04 paper made the same bet about Bishop? Not to mention that Bishop has come up two years consecutively in the last several years more than once.

That said though, studying both would be a pretty safe bet for success....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I can't comment on most of them since we basically just started the poetry course yesterday. Got a bit done on Plath and Kavanagh last year, but not much since we had a new teacher every week.
    In answer to your question I like Yeats poetry but I think Kavanagh is the easiest to write about.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I loved Yeats myself. Only male poet I studied for my leaving, and he came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

gotta be slyvia plath, the one I can understand the best for some reason though ive got a good idea of John Donne now that im able to understand him better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

we havent done yeats yet but other than that montague's the best, hands down! kavanagh wrecks my head for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ursulasblues

Plath and Yeats have to be there for me!! Montague not too bad but a tad boring....for our mocks Plath and Yeats will be there so fingers crossed the LC follows through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Steve01 wrote:
    I can't comment on most of them since we basically just started the poetry course yesterday. Got a bit done on Plath and Kavanagh last year, but not much since we had a new teacher every week.
    In answer to your question I like Yeats poetry but I think Kavanagh is the easiest to write about.

eh, what! Poetry is a massive part of the course ableit not as high marking but is very important. You will be lucky to get 4 poets done by june in school if youve only started now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We're finishing our poetry course this week (with Elliot) making our list of studied poets looks like this:

Montague
    Plath
    Kavanagh
    T.S Elliot
    Plath
    Bishop
    Frost

That's also my list of preference as well. I find Montague so easy to write about and I actually enjoy reading his poetry. Apparently T.S Elliot is a heavily tipped to come up, moreso than Montague anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I like Kavanagh the best. We've only just started Donne but I think he's good aswell.

I don't know why, but I just don't like Yeats' poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

eh, what! Poetry is a massive part of the course ableit not as high marking but is very important. You will be lucky to get 4 poets done by june in school if youve only started now

Yeah I'm screwed. People in my class who are well capable of honours have dropped back to pass because of it. Also because they're opting for the easy life but thats their decision.
    We finished Yeats today so at least we're picking up some bit of speed. Himself and Montague are my fave poets as it stands. Sailing to Byzantium is one of my fave poems on the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

We haven't done Yeats, but he seems really boring so I don't care.

Kavanagh's my favourite. I love his abstract take on life, despite his rural perspective. "Gods make their own importance" has to be one of the most inspiring and simply kickass lines I've ever heard. I love "Epic".

Bishop I really liked too, she was pretty groundbreaking, I love her imagery and intricate detail in everything. Poems like "The Fish" and "The Bight" are amazing, descriptive accounts of static scenes. I don't like "The Prodigal" very much though.

We just started TS Eliot, and despite me forgetting my book and only half paying attention I think that J.A.P. could be worthy of being something that I'd love. I shall see, however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    We haven't done Yeats, but he seems really boring so I don't care.

Kavanagh's my favourite. I love his abstract take on life, despite his rural perspective. "Gods make their own importance" has to be one of the most inspiring and simply kickass lines I've ever heard. I love "Epic".

Bishop I really liked too, she was pretty groundbreaking, I love her imagery and intricate detail in everything. Poems like "The Fish" and "The Bight" are amazing, descriptive accounts of static scenes. I don't like "The Prodigal" very much though.

My favourite poem. It was so emotional and dark...

I disliked "The Fish" .... kinda drab, giving-human-life fare, and all this 'Until everything was rainbow, rainbow, rainbow!' ****....arghhh CHEESE

People should not consider Plath a definite this year as Bishop came up last year. It's pretty much 50:50 exactly on either of the two - despite Bishop coming up in the 06 paper. She has come up two years in a row before, and relatively recently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

md99 wrote:
    My favourite poem. It was so emotional and dark...

I disliked "The Fish" .... kinda drab, giving-human-life fare, and all this 'Until everything was rainbow, rainbow, rainbow!' ****....arghhh CHEESE
    Meh, it wasn't a bad poem at all, it just didn't fit with the other poems by Bishop I studied.

The Bight was better, but I did really like The Fish. I think I viewed both as psychedelic and/or abstract transience/analytical thinking. I couldn't have cared less about her compassion for the fish in "The Fish", it was simply the imaginative detail and thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I hate poetry!!!!!! It wrecks me buzz. But like Plath my life is a spiralling abyss. Why didnt she do us all a favour and kill herself quicker.:eek:

Marshy wrote:
    I hate poetry!!!!!! It wrecks me buzz. But like Plath my life is a spiralling abyss. Why didnt she do us all a favour and kill herself quicker.:eek:

Well that mightve of wrecked her buzz. moron

Yeah well seeing as shes dead now that doesnt matter. TRAMP:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tough choice. I really liked bits and pieces from all the poets. Kavanagh's "Raglan Road" and "Inniskeen Road", Frost's "Aquainted With the Night" and "Design", most of Plath's poems, "The Same Gesture" by Montague and "Politics" by Yeats would be my favourites. Overall, I'd probably have to pick Plath as my favouite. Amazing technique, even if she depressed the hell out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Yeats and Bishop for me :D We haven't finished Yeats yet.. I think

I don't like Plath at all, we've done The Arrival of the Bee Box, Child, Finisterre, Mirror, The Times are Tidy and Pheasant

Didn't really like pheasant or mirror. The others were good I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

yeats personally mainly cause i get to write about history with 1913 an 1916 poems

Marshy wrote:

Your use of capitals to start a sentence surprises me!

Really, why is that now? Do I sense a note of condescension:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

yeats personally mainly cause i get to write about history with 1913 an 1916 poems
    Yeah, yer spot on there. 'September 1913' and 'Easter 1916', especially the latter are also handy for history essay quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 schwaaaaa

Marshy wrote:
    Really, why is that now? Do I sense a note of condescension:confused:

Why are you so angry? let it go, ur anger saddens me inside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Marshy wrote:

AHHH, Emo in the thread, someone squish it quick !!

Ontopic, Yeats, Kavanagh, Elliot and Frost (loved "Mending Wall") probably for me of the poets on the course . I love the poetry of Edgar Allen Poe though; would have been wicked if he had been on the LC.

Emo? Do you really think so? I suppose I'd rather be that than be intrigued by some two bit american who wrote about ravens.
    AHHH, Simpleton in the thread:eek:

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    AHHH, Emo in the thread, someone squish it quick !!

I'd have gone with chav, scobe, whatever you call them in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I particularly like Frost and Kavanagh, the other 3 I studied were very dull indeed("AHEM" John Donne). Frost's poetry is very simple where as Kavanagh's poetry is very entertaining and enjoyable.

Really don't like Yeats because I didn't do history and his poetry can be very political, Plath's just a depressed woman who you feel sorry for and Donne, well anyone who's studied him knows what I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Marshy wrote:
    Emo? Do you really think so? I suppose I'd rather be that than be intrigued by some two bit american who wrote about ravens.
    AHHH, Simpleton in the thread:eek:

The fact that you're still here says a lot though, doesn't it?

Well if I'm upsetting you just say so:confused:

Marshy wrote:
    Well if I'm upsetting you just say so:confused:

You're quite the sh*t stirrer, aren't you marshy?

• Advertisement

You're quite the sh*t stirrer, aren't you marshy?

Ah, we're just as bad for responding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement