Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English - Your Favourite Poet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

You're quite the sh*t stirrer, aren't you marshy?

Sh*t stirrer? I don't think so, just because someone chose to actually share an opinion contrary to the rest of you drones they automaticaly qualify as a "sh*t stirrer". Get a life, or take a page out of Plath's poetry and stick your head in an oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cotwold wrote:
    Sh*t stirrer? I don't think so, just because someone chose to actually share an opinion contrary to the rest of you drones they automaticaly qualify as a "sh*t stirrer". Get a life, or take a page out of Plath's poetry and stick your head in an oven.
    OMG how could you be so insensitive:eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

cotwold wrote:

You blame us for being one-sided, yet you've fallen into just the same hole.

The principal reason Marshy's comments attracted so much criticism was the manor in which he expressed his views on Plath. Nothing wrong with disliking her poetry, despising it even - there are plenty out there who do.

"I hate poetry!!!!!! It wrecks me buzz. But like Plath my life is a spiralling abyss. Why didnt she do us all a favour and kill herself quicker."

Does this not look like fuel for controversy to you? I doubt it was ever intended to be taken too seriously....

md99 wrote:
    Does this not look like fuel for controversy to you? I doubt it was ever intended to be taken too seriously....
    Perhaps it was a joke.

Don't get too worked up about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I mean come on, lets face it, Montague and John 'tumbleweed' Donne aside the poetry course is a freak show. Its manic depressives galore(bishop, frost and sylvia plath of course). In bishops case her only friends were Johnnie Walker and Jack Daniels. I could almost add Yeats to the list he was so aloof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Frost is reason enough to revise the poetry on the course.

Keep Plath away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

cotwold wrote:

He hardly had an opinion. It was more of a statement that he hoped plath had died sooner. and also the fact that marshy followed up on other comments i had made in the ucd forum which were pointless i believe marshy is a sh*t stirrer. marshy's comments were pointless in the following thread and posted for provocation

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049082
    comment # 11,12,15-17

Marshy wrote:
    I mean come on, lets face it, Montague and John 'tumbleweed' Donne aside the poetry course is a freak show. Its manic depressives galore(bishop, frost and sylvia plath of course). In bishops case her only friends were Johnnie Walker and Jack Daniels. I could almost add Yeats to the list he was so aloof.

Of course, just put your opinion in an envelope and send it to the Dept. of Education, they'll surely revamp the English LC poetry course knowing that such an aspiring, outspoken individual like yourself is in disagreement!

Good people, ignore this tyrant! Your battle ends HERE unless you'd like to continue it by responding more to his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

md99 wrote:

Good people, ignore this tyrant! Your battle ends HERE unless you'd like to continue it by responding more to his comments.

Never was a truer word spoken:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ethernet wrote:
    Frost is reason enough to revise the poetry on the course.

Keep Plath away!
    I hate Frost, not only is he boring, but his open rejection of ornate language and intellectual elitism písses me off. Personally I'd rather listen to Mars Volta's complex, incoherent, self indulgent lyrics than read Frost's simple "working man" poetry.

"The ocean floor is hidden from the viewing lense,
    A depth perception languished in the night,
    All my life I've been sewing the wounds,
    But the seeds sprout a lachrymal cloud"

FÚCK YEAH!

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I hate Frost, not only is he boring, but his open rejection of ornate language and intellectual elitism písses me off. Personally I'd rather listen to Mars Volta's complex, incoherent, self indulgent lyrics than read Frost's simple "working man" poetry.

FÚCK YEAH!

I'm on the same boat, pretty much. Easy to revise but boring... I like some of the ideas he raises, though, and the ending of "Out, Out" is one of my favourite lines of any poem

"And they, since they were not the one dead, Turned to their affairs"

Somewhat relevant to real life if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Nicely put.Lets keep on topic please and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I hate Frost, not only is he boring, but his open rejection of ornate language and intellectual elitism písses me off. Personally I'd rather listen to Mars Volta's complex, incoherent, self indulgent lyrics than read Frost's simple "working man" poetry

I've never heard Frost been called boring. Poetry isn't exactly riveting stuff, but at least this man puts a bit of a story into some of his, a bit of tension, bit of excitement.

terry mac wrote:
    Poetry isn't exactly riveting stuff

For you maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Never was a truer word spoken:)
    Why dont you two get a room?
    Anyway in the words of Bill O'Herlihy, "I'll leave it there so," before I get more of you bedwetters on my case.
    Au revoir:eek:

Marshy wrote:
    Why dont you two get a room?
    Anyway in the words of Bill O'Herlihy, "I'll leave it there so," before I get more of you bedwetters on my case.
    Au revoir:eek:
    ;)Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JC 2K3 wrote:

FÚCK YEAH!
    That's a fair point -- I also appreciate and acknowledge the use of "ornate language and intellectual elitism", as you so call it.

However, I believe that more people can relate to Frost in his use of simple English; especially people of our own age-group who wouldn't otherwise have any appreciation for poetry at all for the sole reason of not being in a position to comprehend it or even relate to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 schwaaaaa

cotwold wrote:

Is that how she finally did herself in?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

schwaaaaa wrote:
    Is that how she finally did herself in?????????

Yeah, although they dont teach THAT in school. Tá sí saor!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 schwaaaaa

Ta si saor!!!!!!!!! ta mo leanbh saor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Tingo

md99 wrote:
    I'm on the same boat, pretty much. Easy to revise but boring... I like some of the ideas he raises, though, and the ending of "Out, Out" is one of my favourite lines of any poem

"And they, since they were not the one dead, Turned to their affairs"

Somewhat relevant to real life if you ask me!

Me too! :D It's one of my favourite poems of his. But then, a entire poem about picking apples or mending a wall, hardly seems relevant. I wouldn't mind doing a question on him, but with a choice I probably wouldn't pick him.

Our pre paper (Dublin Examining Board) gave us a very accessible poem on Frost... Write a letter for a magazine/newspaper (can't remember) about why Robert Frost is a poet for the young audience.

I thought this was very suitable as he seems the preference for those who hate the poetry section of the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Well here's me views on the course!

Sylvia Plath- Deffo my favourite, a genious by many standards and just really interesting to read. Praying she comes up

John Montague - Pretty bland and does nothing for me. Probably the only poet on the course that doesn't use everything as a metaphor for his **** life though. I'll giv him that much.

Elizabeth Bishop - Being an alcoholic lesbian doesn't automatically mean you write good poetry and if bishop is anything to go by than it's exactly the opposite!

Patrick Kavanagh - "Screw you culchies, I'm better than you all and getting out of here"- Pretty much the general theme of K's poetry..........exactly why i love him!

W.B. Yeats - "I'm soooooo ooolllllllllld!!" - Get over yourself you tool. Stop wasting your life counting swans and get laid!

Robert Frost - Talks a whole lotta **** but probably the easiest to write about; Character development etc.

T.S. Eliot- Does ANYONE actually plan on learning him. Is it even poetry?!?.................................He also looks like one of father jack's earwax candles, seriously!

John Donne- Havn't done him yet so probably won't study him even if we do him b4 d leaving.

Eliot ftw

True genius and not afraid to boast about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

fantacan wrote:
    T.S. Eliot- Does ANYONE actually plan on learning him. Is it even poetry?!?.................................He also looks like one of father jack's earwax candles, seriously!

My teacher isn't doing Eliot with my class, but I've read some of his poems. "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" is a masterpiece, and yes, it is poetry! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Does nobody else like Bishop? I think her descriptions are probably the best of any of the poets and I can associate with her in The Fish and Petrol Station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't really like Bishop. And it's The Filling Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

fantacan wrote:
    Well here's me views on the course!

Sylvia Plath- Deffo my favourite, a genious by many standards and just really interesting to read. Praying she comes up

John Montague - Pretty bland and does nothing for me. Probably the only poet on the course that doesn't use everything as a metaphor for his **** life though. I'll giv him that much.

Elizabeth Bishop - Being an alcoholic lesbian doesn't automatically mean you write good poetry and if bishop is anything to go by than it's exactly the opposite!

Patrick Kavanagh - "Screw you culchies, I'm better than you all and getting out of here"- Pretty much the general theme of K's poetry..........exactly why i love him!

W.B. Yeats - "I'm soooooo ooolllllllllld!!" - Get over yourself you tool. Stop wasting your life counting swans and get laid!

Robert Frost - Talks a whole lotta **** but probably the easiest to write about; Character development etc.

John Donne- Havn't done him yet so probably won't study him even if we do him b4 d leaving.
    Lol, that's such an generic, opinionated yet psuedointellectual viewpoint.

And yes, Eliot is poetry and he's amazing. And as for him looking like earwax candles, well Sylvia Plath looks like a fish.
    Eliot ftw

True genius and not afraid to boast about it.
    Agreed.

He's become my favourite poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Rozabeez wrote:
    I don't really like Bishop. And it's The Filling Station.
    Yeah. Tenner says I'm gonna say Petrol Station come exam time.

:(

• Advertisement

fantacan wrote:

Thou liest, thou shag-haired villain!

Yeats is poetry at its very finest, true he was a troubled and tormented soul but his work was so powerful and historic,

"Romantic Ireland's dead and gone
    It's with O'Leary in the grave"

True in his time and to this day!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement