Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cracks and pop marks

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

ive been living in charlesland for about 5 months now ive suddenly noticed small cracks appearing and pop hole marks from nails or screws. is this normal? can i get the builders back in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

Decks wrote:
    ive been living in charlesland for about 5 months now ive suddenly noticed small cracks appearing and pop hole marks from nails or screws. is this normal? can i get the builders back in?

I doubt it! This is what would fall under the category of "settling in".

The pop hole marks are form the builder using nails instead of screws when fitting the plasterboard. Screws are significantly better but more expensive and more time consuming. Unfortunately more will appear over time. All you can do is either ignore them, or chip off the protruding plaster and then re-finish it! As for the cracks, there are loads of fillers designed for cracks that are "supposed" to expand as necessary! I can't tell you if any of this works yet as it on my "to do" list and has been for longer than i care to admit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Skimcoat does a pretty good job on the settling cracks, if you take your time about it. Polyfilla and sanding will take care of the pop-marks.

I would advise however that you wait a while before dealing with any of them. There'll be a lot more to come and you'll only upset yourself if you discover more only weeks after fixing the ones you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Decks, there should be a defects liability convenant in your sale agreement lease of the property - Defects liability periods are normally 12 months...sometimes 6 months. Send a fax (for record purposes!) to your builder saying your having some problems. They should be willing to accommodate you.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the wind at the moment probably doesnt help either...
    it will make the settling cracks appear much faster...

you couls also use builders caulk or builders mate to hide them

Advertisement