Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screen transition: good or bad

Options
  • 24-01-2007 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

A place to trounce, denouce or sing a comic transition to screen..

I'll go for positive (negative is toooo easy :p )
    The Maxx - mind u it is bearly animated.. more like a moving comic. BUt I loved it for it's slightly film noir feel and uncomfortable story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Positive can be easy too:

Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, JL

All brilliantly done, true to the characters (mostly) and great stories. In fact since the 90s Batman: TAS I always hear that actor's voice in my head for Batman prefect gravelly, deep, dignified sounding voice for the big B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

and they did a pretty good job on the orignal turtle movie.. right Ztoc? ;)

the transfer from comic to movie for lone wolf and cub was woeful though. The kid is brilliant - absolutly perfect but the actor playing ogami just isn't right. Production values let it down too (but we can kinda forgive for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

thumbninja wrote:
    and they did a pretty good job on the orignal turtle movie.. right Ztoc? ;)

Hell yeah miss ninja Nice blend between the comic elements and the cartoon elements.

I actually liked Fritiz the cat thou I know Crumb didn't, but i think thats the animator in me more so then the cartoonists. Road to Perdition [sp?], history of violence and Ghostworld were good as well. And I really like the Tank Girl movie thou alot didn't.

And if i mention tank girl I must mention mystery men, the crow and the mask, all pertty nice adapts.

On the bad side monkeybone, timecop, and barb wire YUCK!!

from hell is kinda in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Superman Returns was a staggeringly smelly pile of poo I thought: joyless, dull, flat, poorly-paced etc, etc.

My main beef was that the main villain set-piece - Luthor's plan to create a new landmass - was so lame and uninspiring it was untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

ztoical wrote:
    Hell yeah miss ninja Nice blend between the comic elements and the cartoon elements.

I actually liked Fritiz the cat thou I know Crumb didn't, but i think thats the animator in me more so then the cartoonists. Road to Perdition [sp?], history of violence and Ghostworld were good as well. And I really like the Tank Girl movie thou alot didn't.

And if i mention tank girl I must mention mystery men, the crow and the mask, all pertty nice adapts.

On the bad side monkeybone, timecop, and barb wire YUCK!!

from hell is kinda in the middle

hmmm... Tank Girl the movie wasn't bad in itself but compared to the comics it's just eh... not really Tank Girl. I prefer to think of them as two identically named but completely different entities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

for me the best comic movies making the transition from book to screen werwe Sin cITY,V for Vendetta and X-men 1.
    the tmi burton batman movies were good,but not great .........too flat a preformance from the lead in my opinino

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

Aye Sin City was good..
    reminded me of bugsy malone and it's comic stylings. (someone is gona trounce me for that)

V for Vendetta - still humming and hawing a little about that. Not bad. But not as good as I'd hoped.

As for Hellblazer. Some nice effects but THAT was NOT John Constantine!!
    ROAR!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Aye, Sin City was a good example of a rigorously faithful adaptation (and understandably so given Miller's experience with Hollywood in Robocop 2 & 3). V For Vendetta is probably my favoured adaptation in terms of updating and changing the story where possible to fit a new medium. (Though I maintain that the one thing the LoEG movie got right was to use a fresh story rather than the story from the original comics; that said, talking about the LoEG movie getting something right is a sure way to lose an argument on the subject...)

Constantine was ok as a film, but as The Ninja said, it had nowt to do with John Constantine. Wrong personality, wrong nationality, wrong hair colour...different character entirely, which removed any appeal from the film for a fan of the comic.

The original Dorff Lundgren "Punisher" film wasn't too shabby (compared to the new one, anyway) in that at least the character was pretty accurate. Plus they had the stones to make it an 18 so that the violence wouldn't have to be toned down.

The Spawn animated series was another good one, though I've only ever dipped into the spawn comic occasionally so I'm not the best authority on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the tmi burton batman movies were good,but not great .........too flat a preformance from the lead in my opinino

:eek: blasphemy

Keating was one of the best bats - he got the quirky wayne humor down and managed to show Bruce and Batman as two different personalities.
    Val "look at my upper lip act" kilmer was just moody all the time, Adam West was playing batman if batman was Adam West, we don't mention Clooney*shiver* and Bale, well I loved Bale but he has to do one more film before he passes keating. But lets face it top of the Bats table is Kevin Conroy - when i read bat books i can hear his voice in my head for bats voice. hmmmmmmmmmmmm kevin Conroy...................

Back on the movies from comics Blueberry could have been classis, right director, right actor and based on a moebius comic yet it just didn't work. Guess goes to show you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sin city is practically a direct transfer (oh if jessica alba only got her babs out :(:D ) so probably wins hands down on the faithfullness score but have to admit though its changed for cinema my favourite is V for Vendetta. im amazed they got that made in this climate and ranks as one of the best comic book films of all time in my opinion.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote:
    :eek: blasphemy

Keating was one of the best bats - he got the quirky wayne humor down and managed to show Bruce and Batman as two different personalities.
    Val "look at my upper lip act" kilmer was just moody all the time, Adam West was playing batman if batman was Adam West, we don't mention Clooney*shiver* and Bale, well I loved Bale but he has to do one more film before he passes keating. But lets face it top of the Bats table is Kevin Conroy - when i read bat books i can hear his voice in my head for bats voice. hmmmmmmmmmmmm kevin Conroy...................

Back on the movies from comics Blueberry could have been classis, right director, right actor and based on a moebius comic yet it just didn't work. Guess goes to show you never know.

my ideal batman would be Cillian Murphy........too bad he was rejected for batman begins..............was still best thing about the other wise VERY average movie though!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm, interesting opinion qwertplaywert. I agree that Cillian Murphy was very good in Batman Begins (that being said, I've generally enjoyed films he's starred in) but I'm not sure he'd be better than Bale as Bruce Wayne. He seems a bit too fragile, although I guess that could work for an "early days of Batman" story.

Got to admit that I loved Batman Begins though, it's hands down my favourite Batman film. Probably the best straight-up superhero flick I've seen as well, although I know that this is at least partly down to my particular tastes in superheroes.

(There again, a feature-length cartoon movie of Nextwave would, if done correctly, be The Best Thing Ever and since it now exists in my head I suppose I should refer to everything else as "good, but not as good as The Imaginary Nextwave Movie I Saw In My Head", or "not as good as TINMISIMH" for short)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cillian murphy is waaaay too creepy to be batman. keaton is my favourite but i'll happilly drool over bale anyday (everyday).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

From the very few transitions where I've both read the GN and watched the film, I have to say V for Vendetta ranks top for me. That said, it was the first thing that ever got me interested in comics so I might be slightly biased. Like Fysh mentioned, the adaptation was such that the story worked well in the medium of film and and in a modern context. One upshot was that I was very pleasantly surprised when I read the GN after watching the film and found that they differed enough so that they stand apart as excellent examples of both media, at least in my opinion.

i just hope that one day Alan Moore changes his mind and actually watches it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Tbh, I can see where he's coming from. He created this masterpiece and no film is ever going to live up to that. While the film is fantastic, it still doesn't do the GN justice. While the average twit on the street like myself can overlook that, I can understand why Moore wouldn't want to see that done to his work.

the artist doesnt seem to have much of a problem..............but hes the one recieving his pay check PLUS moores!

Advertisement