Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a bus powered ext. Hard drive burn out a bus

• 24-01-2007 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I've wanted to buy an external bus powered hard drive for a while now ,
    mostly to use with my laptop and occasionally with pc's.

I'm afraid though that continued use would eventually burn out the bus on my laptop.
    Anyone ever come accross this ,or is there a fail safe built into laptops?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No idea where you got the idea that it could burn the bus out, it won't.

Also for the most part only 2.5" external hard drives are bus powered. Practically all the regular 3.5" HD's require an external PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thanks for the reply ,I imagined because a 3.5 needs power that the 2.5 drive would still use a fair amount of juice itself.
    Had an image in my head that the drive would cause the usb bus to overheat, because of the power it requires.
    Especially during heavy tasks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,743 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

_Brian_ wrote:
    I imagined because a 3.5 needs power that the 2.5 drive would still use a fair amount of juice itself

It does! My external 2.5 drive has two USB cables. It requires both to be connected to a USB port. The only reason can be it needs the power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It varies depending on what you get most of the 2.5 drives are laptop drives with lower power usage I have used some that only required a single USB lead plugged in but like unkel describes you may find those who take another approach at it.

The dual cable is usually bundled in the package in case the system is outfitted with a lower power USB port which of course would hang you out to dry as the the single cable requires a full power port, so it siphons power from the two lower power ports.

Advertisement