Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uh oh, forgot to pay fine for speeding!!

• 24-01-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recieved notice from the Guards in late November last year that I been caught doing 80km/h in a 60km/h zone! I find the letter this morning again and realised I totally forgot to pay the fine!!

I am totally sh1tting myself now! Its passed the deadline of 56 days! (57th) What is going to happen to me? :(

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would imagine nothing will happen if you just go pay it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Your fine will have increase to (i think) 120 euros. You had better pay it quick as I forgot and the next thing I got was a summons! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

pay it quick and date it a week ago as it got stuck in the post if they ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Dont you have 28 days to pay €80 and then a further 28 days to pay €120 if unpaid?
    You will get a court summons. My mate paid his fine for no tax a day or 2 too late. He got it back in the post and a few months later he got a court summons. Had to pay €100 to charity in court. Something similar will probably apply in this case (only higher fine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

OP:

What's going to happen is that you'll get a summons, have to go to court, pay a fine and get four points on the licence.

You're best off going to court dressed properly, apologise profusely to the judge and tell him or her about how you lost the letter.

Your fine will probably be around Eur200 and you'll get four points, plus the inconvenience of having to take a day off work and you'll have the pleasure of hanging around the court with assorted scumbags until the case gets called.

But asides from that I wouldn't be so worried; just kick yourself over costing yourself too much money and two extra points and make sure you don't let it happen again.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I recieved notice from the Guards in late November last year that I been caught doing 80km/h in a 60km/h zone! I find the letter this morning again and realised I totally forgot to pay the fine!!

I am totally sh1tting myself now! Its passed the deadline of 56 days! (57th) What is going to happen to me? :(

Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this!
    Come on, you could've chanced paying it before posting this "personal issue" - hand deliver to the address on the letter (Capel Street IIRC) or simply swift posted so it gets there next working day. If memory serves correctly, you can also pay these things at a Post Office

Speculating, I would imagine there is some common sense if you make the effort to pay the fine, even a day or so late. If you are indeed too late, well at the very least it will be an expensive mistake you probably won't make again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

OP:

What's going to happen is that you'll get a summons, have to go to court, pay a fine and get four points on the licence.

You're best off going to court dressed properly, apologise profusely to the judge and tell him or her about how you lost the letter.

Your fine will probably be around Eur200 and you'll get four points, plus the inconvenience of having to take a day off work and you'll have the pleasure of hanging around the court with assorted scumbags until the case gets called.

But asides from that I wouldn't be so worried; just kick yourself over costing yourself too much money and two extra points and make sure you don't let it happen again.;)

I hate when idiots post bull****! :rolleyes:

I got a summons to go to court, I didn't go, I never got a fine and just had to pay 120 euros plus 2 points. Explain! Not everyone is as thick as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mojito wrote:
    I hate when idiots post bull****! :rolleyes:

I got a summons to go to court, I didn't go, I never got a fine and just had to pay 120 euros plus 2 points. Explain! Not everyone is as thick as you.
    You will no longer be subjected to this. Banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks for the responses!

I went up to the post office to pay the fine but the guy told me that once the deadling is gone they can't accept the payment! It came up on the computer that I payment can't be accepted!

I guess my day in court will come! I hope they dont put me down for long! I don't plan on walking the green mile just yet!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Mojito wrote:
    ...I got a summons to go to court, I didn't go, I never got a fine and just had to pay 120 euros plus 2 points...

while on the one hand I am impressed, on the other the problem with ignoring a summons (of any kind, even jury duty) is you never really know if you are off the hook because legal things move so slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

vector wrote:
    while on the one hand I am impressed, on the other the problem with ignoring a summons (of any kind, even jury duty) is you never really know if you are off the hook because legal things move so slowly

This is what Mojito did

He got in touch which the Guard who issued the summons, explained the problem, the Guard said once the summons is issued you have to go to court or have a solicitor appear for you. He then asked the Guard for the name of a good local solicitor, rang her she said she would ask for an extension which would most likely be given. An extension of 28 days was given. Paid the fine and paid 100 euros to the solicitor!

Bingo Bongo job done and there’s no need to panic

I'm not him he told me. :)

Advertisement