Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peli Case Project

Options
  • 24-01-2007 11:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Iv seen some great info on other forums about what to look for in optics, cleaning your rifle, zeroing scopes, etc so thought I would write up my experience customising my peli case.

I got a Peli case before Christmas and finally got time to cut the foam out last night. Took a few pics documenting the process and thought people here might be interested.

The instructions with he case say to chalk out the outline and then use an electric carving knife to cut. I used a €22 jigsaw from Lidle instead. Nice unit, has a laser to guide you when cutting.

So first I laid out everything I want to put in the case. My idea was to have the rifle and all the accessories in the case including cleaning gear and tools. So got everything together and laid it out in different combinations to see what would suit best. I then took a stick of white chalk and started to draw the outlines. I was a bit dubious about how well the chalk would work but its actually perfect. Little bit of care is required to get good straight lines and to get the proper shape of items.
    img42742ko.th.jpgimg42733sl.th.jpg

As you can see from the pictures it gives a good template to start cutting. We wanted to use a finer blade but it wasn't long enough so we ended up with a slightly coarser one but it actually made little difference. So out came the Black and Decker work bench and the Lidle jigsaw and we started cutting. The foam is pretty easy to cut once its supported, cutting near an edge was trickier as it was harder to support properly. We experimented initially within a chunk that we knew would be fully cut out (in this case the rifle stock area). As mush as possible we cut each shape as a single piece. its much easier to do this then trying to cut small sections at a time.
    img42770zx.th.jpgimg42787vb.th.jpgimg42799ck.th.jpg

Due to the flexibility on the foam square edges are easy to cut simply by stopping cutting and turning the blade to the new angle and going again. After about 40 mins of cutting (maybe longer) we had everything cut out. Leaving with a foam version of my rifle!!
    img42807ff.th.jpgimg42829jf.th.jpgimg42811wg.th.jpg

Next we got the hover out and cleaned up the foam that was everywhere at this point. It stuck to me, my shoes the kitchen cabinets, the floor etc. We also hovered the finished foam piece which removed allot of the jagged bits. Next i put it in to the case and tested it. It was near perfect but not 100%, needed to be shaved down in a couple of places and we had over cut in one or 2 spots but all in all not bad.
    img42853hl.th.jpgimg42880mc.th.jpg

When I fitted everything in a couple of things like the bore guide, mag and cleaning rod were lost in the foam due to their "thinness". I realised that we had cut everything in single pieces so I got the spare bits of foam from those shapes and cut the in half and refitted half the foam in to the shape this padded them back out to the top so that they would be snug when the lid is closed and you don’t have to go digging to get them out.
    img42905pv.th.jpgimg42910ko.th.jpg

One thing I would do different is lay every thing out in a mirror to the way I want it to be in the finished product. This means that the chalk would be on the bottom. The chalk will fade I’m sure but the bottom side seems to have a cleaner cut edge as well.

Final steps that I haven’t done yet is cut out a space for my oil and my tool box (I have to find a box that i want to use for brushes and jags) and the I’m going to clue the cut foam to the uncut foam below. I have a can of clue used for polyurethane backed carpets and i tested it on some spare bits of cut foam and it if very effective at bonding them. I have to figure out a good way do this without getting glue everywhere though!

All in all a very worth while exercise I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Excellent work, I think there should be loads more of this type of thing on this forum.

If someone had time a "How to clean your shotgun/rifle" would also be class.

Gross I know but a "How to prepare game for the table" would be very good.

would love to see more posts like this, fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Nice work Rew! How to prepare game for the table would be good as everyone will have a different angle on it, serving suggestions even:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not bad at all Rew. What model case is that and how much did it set you back?

And here's my current Peli:

DSCF2922.JPG

It's the pre-cut foam, which isn't quite as good, but takes far less time to set up. Used an art scalpel to cut out the blocks. Also, for rod-like things like the allen keys, I just cut a slit in the foam, I didn't remove any. They just slot in and are held in place without problem.

And given how much the contents cost, they're bloody cheap at the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

showing my ignorance here but what the hell is in that box sparks, I can barely identify one thing!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sparks wrote:
    Not bad at all Rew. What model case is that and how much did it set you back?

Its a Peli 1750 but its badged as Browning. Set me back about €150 in the US and I brought it back as luggage.

Amazing the battering it got in transit, went from new to old looking in 12 hours!!

Id highly recomend this route to anyone with an expensicve rifle/sight, only thing is it wont fit in the average boot :(

Great to have everything packaged and protected and the ablity to put 2 pad locks on it. Next project is to line my gun safe with carpet I think.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    showing my ignorance here but what the hell is in that box sparks, I can barely identify one thing!!!

It's the sights and stuff for my air rifle Veg.

Big black metal yoke in the middle is the rearsight, the black tube in the top right is the foresight, the yellow box is a foam-lined box of inserts for the foresight, the white translucent film canister on the left is for my earplugs, the odd-looking bar with the "w" bends at the front is a large allen key with finger indents so it acts as a rough-n-ready torque wrench, and the white circle in the middle is a film canister with other little doo-dads in it.

Rew wrote:
    Its a Peli 1750 but its badged as Browning. Set me back about €150 in the US and I brought it back as luggage.
    Best way to get them I think, the shipping kills you. And if you buy from the EU, you get charged for the shipping *and* someone else's margins.
    Amazing the battering it got in transit
    No it wasn't! :D
    The abuse our cases used to get going to Bisley was... instructive. New to broken in one flight. I actually caught one of the handlers throwing our rifle cases from a conveyor belt to a trolley and when I yelled at him that they were two grand apiece, he threw them harder. The git :mad:
    Id highly recomend this route to anyone with an expensicve rifle/sight, only thing is it wont fit in the average boot :(
    Yeah, that's a pain. But it's so damn easy having one box to haul about rather than a slip and another case. And the peace of mind is wonderful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Damn you Rew, you've made me get my arse in gear and take a few photos of mine! :D

Oh, it's a 1750 Weapons Case.

I marked the foam with chalk too, but I cut it out with a long craft knife blade. Not as neat as a custom cut, but good enough for me.

Here it is empty-
    peliempty4ia.jpg

...and full-
    pelifull9mj.jpg

...and here's the wobbly foam rifle-
    pelicutout0gr.jpg
    :D

I fitted it so that the rifle is 'the right way up' when the case is held by the side carry handle or stood upright on the opposite long edge. I'm sure it makes no difference whatsoever with everything so well supported by the foam, but it makes me feel better. :rolleyes:

I was thinking about which way to put it alright, up or down but I suppose it can be changed anytime by just rotating the foam.

I like the way you cut the rod makes a lot more sense then removing a thin section like i did!! Doh!!

Your knife got a nice clean cut, I def over cut in spots

Rovi, how come you don't take your scope off to pack the rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Why would you sparks

That would mean ever time you go to the range you would have to mount it and check zero and possibly adjust and you'd have to store it seperate as well also if the gun is used for hunting as well well you'd have to check zero before which would be a bit of a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rew wrote:
    I like the way you cut the rod makes a lot more sense then removing a thin section like i did!! Doh!!
    It's just a single cut down about half the depth of the foam; the rod just presses in tightly and isn't going anywhere.

Sparks wrote:
    Rovi, how come you don't take your scope off to pack the rifle?
    Because I didn't feel like giving my gun dealer/the importers (Ardee?)/Sako/Beretta some ludicrous amount of money (which I seem to have blocked from my memory) for the uber-tacticool quick release mounts which I'd never use anyway. :rolleyes:
    That scope is on there pretty solid, and I have no intention of messing with it.

Rew posted a link in a previous post to an outfit on E-Bay doing pretty decent prices on Pelican stuff, but the link is now dead. :(
    Was this them, by any chance, do you remember Rew?-
    http://stores.ebay.com/COAST-TO-COAST-SAFETY-INC

Their prices aren't bad and they'll ship to Ireland. Even with the shipping and possible duty and VAT added in, the prices are still better then purchasing locally here (Europe in general).

Why would you sparks
    Well, if he dropped the case, everything is padded *except* the mounts for the scope because that's the only free space in there for something to move through. Or is the scope actually in contact with the top of the rifle out there at the objective lens?

But then, I'm used to ISSF stuff, and we always remove the sights to pack the rifle - too much risk of giving them a knock and breaking them, not to mention them not fitting in the gunsafe at home.

Their prices aren't bad and they'll ship to Ireland. Even with the shipping and possible duty and VAT added in, the prices are still better then purchasing locally here (Europe in general).
    Looks pretty decent. I'm thinking of getting a 1550 in a few weeks for my Izzy and all the bits'n'bobs so I just have one case to take to the range, and a gun cabinet that the whole case will just fit into. Maximum convienence :D

Why would you sparks

That would mean ever time you go to the range you would have to mount it and check zero and possibly adjust and you'd have to store it seperate as well also if the gun is used for hunting as well well you'd have to check zero before which would be a bit of a nuisance.

With the picatinny rail it should be possible without effecting zero but as you said why would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Apel QD mounts are one solution for when you -have- to remove the scope, but you won't get much change out of €400 for them.

Normally scopes go on rifles and doesn't come off till you change either the rifle or the scope.

Odd. We've been taking the scopes off the silhouette rifles in DURC every night for a good fifteen years now. Mind you, they usually get used at 25 yards so I guess we wouldn't have noticed big shifts in zero :D

Dragging up an old thread, but I just bought a 1750 for my rifle and will be getting down with the chopping of foam pretty soon.

I have also made a little peli sights box ala sparks.

Will post pics and thoughts later, though any advice would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Odd. We've been taking the scopes off the silhouette rifles in DURC every night for a good fifteen years now. Mind you, they usually get used at 25 yards so I guess we wouldn't have noticed big shifts in zero :D

For sporting rifles with scopes, it's better to leave the scope on at all times. As psitta said, the chances of putting it on in a different position each time are greater than the chances of it getting knocked off zero while on the rifle. As we all know, a slight variation in the length of the scope is a huge difference in point of impact.

Incidentally, it's better to have the rifle in the case like Rovi's where the scope is nearest the carrying handles becuase the other way means that every time you put the case down, the full weight of the rifle is bearing on the scope. Not a major hassle when it's encased in foam like that but it's better to be safe.

Not true Sparks - we take them off because they don't fit in the safe otherwise and they have to be resighted in each time they are used. Even at 25 yrds there it can be out by an inch or so when the scope is taken off.

Edit:

My new Peli sight box

dsc00066ea5.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Not true Sparks - we take them off because they don't fit in the safe otherwise and they have to be resighted in each time they are used. Even at 25 yrds there it can be out by an inch or so when the scope is taken off.

Neither of ye are right. :D There's only one of those rifles in regular use (C for Frank) and we leave the scope on. It cuts down on the time taken to get Frank up and running, which is a good thing since he is usually late! :) It does fit in the safe provided you're careful about placing the other rifles around it.

Even when we did take the scope off regularly it was only ever off by a noticeable amount if you didn't put the scope on properly which, in fairness, is easy enough to do.

Back on topic: Nice job on all of those peli cases. Looks pretty neat. Whenever I eventually bite the bullet (:eek:) and buy a rifle, I'll definitely invest in one.

The results of two hours work today.

dsc00068yk8.th.jpg

We used a simple craft knife to carve out the shape and used a dark marker (no chalk!) to outline the shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Any particular reason why you take the butt plate off Zaraba? It clearly would fit in the case on the rifle.

Mainly for convenience - I don't keep it attached in the safe and I am happy for it to live in the case when I am storing it.

Also, as the buttplate connection is plastic on metal, if the case gets a bang I don't want anything breaking!

Zara, that case is designed to protect the contents after being chucked out the back of a Hercules transport doing 200 knots 20 feet off a dirt road, and with far less foam around the bits than you have there - I think it'd be safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Zara, that case is designed to protect the contents after being chucked out the back of a Hercules transport doing 200 knots 20 feet off a dirt road, and with far less foam around the bits than you have there - I think it'd be safe ;)
    Yeah but those guys at Dublin airport.........:D
    When Peli bring out a case big enough to put a Peli 1720 into I'm buying it!

demonloop wrote: »
    Yeah but those guys at Dublin airport.........:D
    I know :(
    I've seen them in action more than once.
    BTW, if you ever do see them chucking your case about, yelling "Stop" is the worst thing you can do, because they then merrily throw them harder...
    ...and you can't really have a reasonable discussion on the matter with someone who thinks it's great fun to chuck a case labelled "AMMUNITION" around under the full fuel tanks in the wing of a 737...
    When Peli bring out a case big enough to put a Peli 1720 into I'm buying it!
    I dunno - I figure I'll just get a 1720 and keep my stuff in it with the air rifle dissassembled and a good inch of foam all round everything. I've seen the cases the lads from Canada were using in Kuortane and they're not as tough as the Peli's (but were much lighter, hence them being used - a 1750 with foam is nearly at the weight limit for airlines already, even before you put in the rifle) and their kit survived places worse than Dublin without much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

S'pose I might as well show you what I have. It's a Storm Case iM2500 (get them at www.stormcase.ie). Waterproof, drop proof, idiot proof, yada, yada, yada. Personally, I prefer them to Peli (go on, flame away but the latches are much better, I like the roller wheels and it's lighter!).

Contents as follows:
    1. Document holder in lid - holds targets, training notes, cert etc. (very useful)
    2. Pellet tin
    3. Match Timer
    4. Eye Blinder
    5. Multitool (got in Halfords for €1 - steal!)
    6. Magnified scoring Gauge
    7. Match box for pellets - holds them in neat little rows!
    8. General storage for all the bits (earplugs, cap, etc.)

I've taken out the foam in the lid to show you the doc holder - it's the usual egg-holder type stuff. The guy that sells them also does custom laser cut high density foam. You bring your stuff in, it gets scanned and the laser cuts it to exact dimensions. When I shell out on a decent (expensive) pistol, I'm going for this!
    Anyone's welcome to inspect it on Sunday in WTSC (for a fee :D)

1200338418-151.jpg

Storm cases? I was looking at them as well and I know that some the GB juniors use them, but Peli was cheaper and what sold it for me was that peli is the brand of choice in the oil industry! If its north sea rig engineer proof, its good enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

peli is the brand of choice in the oil industry!

IMHO there's not a lot of difference between the two. I'll agree that it was a bit more expensive, but the dimensions of it were a better fit for what I needed it for and I have the option of getting the custom foam done. Storms are a bit lighter and the latch has a little button in it that prevents it being opened if the latch catches on something. They're both water proof and all that jazz. It's like cars; some swear by one brand, some swear by the other - they still get you from A to B the same.

Advertisement