Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peli Case Project

Options
2»

Comments

I was wondering about the extent of the waterproofness..

I know that the Pelis have a valve thing which does something to the pressure (maybe a friendly sciency person can enlighten me here!) and I imagine that anything less of submersion in a pool will not get the gear wet, but are they waterproof to the extent of being submerged in water?

I am wondering this in case the range ever flooded (not that likely) and my case was on the ground (not going to happen)?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They were originally dive cases zara, they're rated waterproof down to one metre under the IP67 standard (though in practise, they'll probably handle several more). Best bet for you is to ensure your case, fully loaded, doesn't weigh more than 73kg, and it'll float on whatever liquid is in the range (and I've seen the DURC range flooded more than once, and not always with water :D )

(the pressure valve is to allow air into the case when there's a partial vacuum inside the case, the idea being to make it possible to open the case more easily after a flight in an unpressurised cargo hold where all the air inside would have leaked out, leaving the case vacuum-sealed)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

I was wondering about the extent of the waterproofness..

There's loads of reviews on the web where people did their own 'immersion tests' on both Storms and Pelis. If I remember correct, one bloke left his submerged in a full bath for 8hrs without a single drop getting in. As Sparks says, unless you keep depleted uranium in your case, chances are that it will float anyway. I think they'll more than meet the demands of our sport (unless 10m shooting from a whitewater raft becomes a trend!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Caufield Industrial in Galway cut foam for tool boxes, I wonder would they cater for the shooting community:D

http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com/files/vas.asp

Advertisement