Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

Another deadline looks like being missed. The most annoying thing is that I was never bothered about when my results were coming out before, but when your told by different people that they should be out by tomorrow etc. it drives you crazy. Then you go on to SIS and you are one step closer to results!!

First, they took down the link into exam results, and the assumption was "Ahhh, they're updating it".... (I was oblivious to the whole Bebo link get ur results thing).

Next, they put it back up, and your thinking, ok RESULTS!!!!, but no, 06/07 results weren't there.

Now, you can get on to 06/07 results, but the page says Modular results unavailable.

This f***in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I am getting sooo annoyed about this.
    The results are there. Why can't they give them to us? Even put up the grades on notice boards if the IT system won't work?
    agh :mad: ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

My business ones are up! (ie the one I deferred!)......

still waiting on law....the important ones....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What the fcuk is going on? I have a percentage, but it doesn't tell me for what (if any) subject(s). This is getting to the stage where student riots are in order.

TheVan wrote:
    My business ones are up! (ie the one I deferred!)......

still waiting on law....the important ones....

Not my business ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

they're out now!

I got a first. Woot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Congradulations:)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ah right, the percentage was actually the result of my business subject. Bit disappointing that. Should have been about 20-25% higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

At ****ing last,

first average in the business subjects....now for the law one's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

At last but bloody failed 1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Still waiting on 1 more.

Passed 4 of 5 and got 40.0% in biostats!

I need to get my act together this semester....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Blackboard wrote:
    The Law Programme Office will issue Provisional Law results of semester 1 examinations for Stage 3 & 4 BBLS students on Thursday 8th February from 10 am. Results will only be issued in person upon production of a student card.

Given the size of this task and students’ interest in receiving their results, we would request your co-operation in the following manner:

· Please be prepared to wait in an orderly fashion while your classmates are receiving their results

· To respect students’ privacy, staff will be on hand in designated areas of the programme office to issue results. As results will be issued on an individual basis this could cause time delays. We would appreciate your patience in this regard.

· Please bring a pen and paper

· The administrative staff will be unable to discuss your results with you at this time

Since these results are provisional they will be confirmed at the summer examinations board when they will then become official.

Not ideal but at least we're getting somewhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

wonder what the queue will be like

why the hell can they not put them on sis how hard is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

valor wrote:
    how hard is it

Being UCD, that question is irrelevant :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

they've had to change they're system recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

update for me:

Thanks to a really sound Genetics lecturer my average from 5 exams is now over 46%!! I'm a luckbox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Still not any sign of our results and we're not even getting updates on them anymore. We were meant to get them on Monday :(
    I really need to start studying If I failed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's woeful Panda. You guys have exams coming up really soon, don't you? And you've got a ton of placement from mid March or summat. So when are you supposed to repeat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Blush_01 wrote:
    That's woeful Panda. You guys have exams coming up really soon, don't you? And you've got a ton of placement from mid March or summat. So when are you supposed to repeat?

Have an exam in four weeks and after that we are on placements till June. So I really need to study now if I have to repeat exams in May.
    Am quite worried now so have no fingernails left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

One supposes that the queue in Roebuck is still dozens deep, after 3rd Law being asked to join in with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

I'm getting seriously pissed off waiting for the results at this stage. I don't think the College care about us non-modular students, that they almost see us as an inconvenience. We are "the forgotten year"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Byrno wrote:
    I'm getting seriously pissed off waiting for the results at this stage. I don't think the College care about us non-modular students, that they almost see us as an inconvenience. We are "the forgotten year"!

Funny you should say that, I was red in the face with rage last night about all this and wrote the letter below - think I'll send it to the Observer - it makes almost the exact point that you just did ;)
    JHJ wrote:
    Sir,

I write to you with the vague hope of somehow venting the unbridled frustration and rage that has been visited on many final year (or “traditional”) students by the utter shambles of the UCD administration system.

During the fiasco of the exams period itself, the phrase “Well, at least it can’t possibly get any worse than this” sprang to many minds. Inexcusably late timetables, four final exams in one day, rugby scrums at exam centres to get table numbers and piles of coursework being due on the same day as numerous finals were only a selection of the many complaints and grievances received. But when the time for results rolled around, it became clear that this fiasco was only an appetiser for the main disaster.

Let me be quite clear about this. No “breakdown in communication” is an adequate excuse. No “transitional system” can be blamed. And no empty promises of committees and post-match analyses are enough to make up for the excruciating experiences of many students as they toil daily through the sewage of the exam system to discover even simple information.

We are told, via SIS, that all undergraduate students will have their results by 5pm on January 29th. Perhaps naively, we assume we are being told the truth. However, unbeknownst to us, the actual plan is to give final years their results at a later date. I am at a loss to understand UCD’s desire to mystify this fact. Surely, to type an extra line on the SIS system informing us of this great secret would have taken less than ten seconds, and saved hundreds of final years the stress and angst of searching for results that were never meant to be available in the first place.

We are told that we don’t have our results because of the sheer amount of exams to be marked over the Christmas period. With the greatest of respect to the younger years, (and with considerably less respect to the powers that be in this university), I fail to see why their scripts have obviously taken precedence over ours.

We are told that this lateness is due to our “transitional system”. A handy abstract sort of thing to pass the blame onto, I suppose, but unfortunately it doesn’t really stand up in court.

The only material difference I can see between our system and that of second years is that I receive 2:1s and 2:2s, while second years get A’s and B’s. We both have six classes, called modules, per semester. We both have a certain number of exams at Christmas. Yet the second years are afforded the great courtesy of having their results conveyed to them in an acceptable manner at a reasonable time, while we are forced to struggle through a quagmire of bureaucracy only to repeatedly come up against an impenetrable brick wall.

Then finally, some of us are told that we can’t have our results at all, or not in full, because they are only provisional. We know they are provisional. We are all big enough, ugly enough and sick enough of UCD to know that if there’s a chance that our results might change, they probably will and going on past experiences with UCD administration, probably not for the better either. But a vague indication of how we are doing, midway through our final year, with our degrees at stake, might be a nice gesture amidst a swamp of blatant indifference to our needs.

And if the problem is that the exam board hasn’t been held yet? Here’s a thought – Hold the damned exam board, and put us all out of our misery. Could it possibly be as impossible to do as we are consistently being told?

The bottom line is quite simple; even though it is something that UCD’s PR obsessed hierarchy will never admit to. We are a thorn in their side, an unfortunate and ugly ink blot on the face of their fresh copybook of free electives, palm tree advertisements and the seductive prospects of moving UCD up a few places in some irrelevant world league tables. As far as they are concerned, the sooner we are gone and forgotten about the better, and if it means we have to be messed around, misled, brushed over and misinformed on a perpetual basis in the process, then so be it.

It is with this in mind that I will say goodbye to UCD at the end of this semester holding the same disdain for the institution as the institution itself evidently holds for many of its students.

Yours etc,
    Jane Horgan-Jones
    UCDSU Education Officer 05/06, and unfortunately 3rd Arts.

Vainglory, try adapting it a little bit and sending it to independent.letters@independent.ie and letters@irish-times.ie too. I sent both an epic letter last week summarising the whole thing and neither printed it, but the Indo did, on Tuesday, print a supplimentary one I sent last Saturday clarifying the 'hacking' issue.
    Hacking Into Exam Results
    I note with interest John Walshe's report (Irish Independent, February 3) that UCD exam results were "hacked" into by some UCD students who, as a result, gained early access to provisional exam results.

It is particularly interesting that the UCD spokesperson cited "provisionality" as being the most unfortunate aspect of the incident.

Even now, as a Third Year student, when I personally log into my UCD account via the same "hacked" website, the exam results I received from my First Year are still classified as "provisional". I know of nobody whose account doesn't display similar messages.

I commend Mr Walshe for using inverted commas around the word "hack", as the process by which the students accessed their results was not hacking at all, but rather typing an address into their browser's address bar and having a resulting page returned to them, an everyday, standard request for a web page.

UCD's problem, therefore, should not be with the student, but with itself for having these supposedly restricted pages unsecured free for access by the students.

It is hardly any wonder that hundreds of students flooded the site using the loophole while it was available. UCD promised all of its students their results by Monday, January 29 but, and at the time of writing, almost half of the university's courses have yet to release them, even "provisionally."

If UCD President, Dr Hugh Brady, wants a 55pc pay rise, as reported in your paper in late December, he should get his own house in order first.
    Gavan Reilly,
    Dr-Hans-Kapfinger Str,
    Passau, Germany
    The article it was in response to, btw, is available at unison.ie. The page requires subscription but this is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Oooooooooooooh Burn on Brady!
    but tell me who's this "Gavin" fellow?

Oooooooooooooh Burn on Brady!
    but tell me who's this "Gavin" fellow?
    the Indo did, on Tuesday, print a supplimentary one I sent last Saturday clarifying the 'hacking' issue
    :rolleyes:

**edit: for the sake of posterity, I'm attaching the epic letter I sent a little over two weeks ago to both Indo and Times (obviously the times one was all 'Madam, -' and not 'Sir,').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Got mine today, posted out. Anyone else who did some of their finals get the same? And they're not on SIS yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Roll on friday.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

A result for one of the final geography exams was posted on the board today, so that makes two.

Still waiting on two more geography results and all of sociology!

Ive become apathetic at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Re: Vainglory and singingstranger - excellent letters. They sum up how I'm feeling myself.

Oh and still waiting.........

Advertisement