Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Announcement for 3rd year students for the school of business (quinn)

Please note that an update from Dr. Sinead Critchley, Head of the Assessment & Logistics Unit( Examinations Office) in UCD this morning has indicated that Semester 1 examination results will be available to final year students after 5.00pm, Monday 5th February 2007.

Another week for me so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Even though I've finished all my exams for the year I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get official results until June.

You wont be getting yours officialy till June or something thats what they said at the health sciences meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

johnf&#225 wrote: »
    Neither will be online, they will post the results on noticeboards on the respective corridors.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal for data protection reasons and that's why they stopped it a few years ago?

I approached the Law Programme Board this morning to see when would Final Law results would be out and was told, without explanation or apology that it will be Friday week at the earliest.

Law and B&L would be out at the same time and yet Quinn say our results are out this Friday or next monday....not saying you're wrong, just saying they're incompetent and have no idea what is going on!

EDIT

Just got this on blackboard
    Message from UCD Assessment and Logistics Unit (formerly Exams) - it is hoped to have the Semester 1 Business Exam results published on SIS web by 5pm on Monday 5th February 2007.

Provisional Semester 1 Law Exam results will also be available from the School of Law next week. Exact details on this will follow later in the week.

So basically, we get business results on Monday (of which I have none) and law results sometime next week....what a joke!

THEY HAVE THEM....GIVE THEM TO ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

johnf&#225 wrote: »
    According to the departmental offices; History results will be out in "the next couple of days" and Politics results will be out at some stage today. Neither will be online, they will post the results on noticeboards on the respective corridors.

still nothing in Politics. What a joke...they clearly have them on some database.

File, print, stick them up.....how easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

lol @ people expecting UCD to be remotely competent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

TheVan wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that's illegal for data protection reasons and that's why they stopped it a few years ago?

Yep that's what I thought too and even putting them on blackboard doesn't seem right. They're trying to get around that in our thing by only putting hte last three digits of our student numbers up.

EDIT:

Right I'm bugged by this thus I'm proposing this: Some generic email that we all send to the exams office demanding an explanation as to why we haven't recieved our results - ok so it won't do anything but it will show our annoyance. Thus I've worded one following:

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is [Insert Name Here] and I am a 3rd/4th Year student studying [Insert Course Here]. You're website states that exam results would be available yesterday and yet no results are forthcoming for my particular course. My course along with all other in UCD was modularised so I am unsure as to why my results are not on SIS Web. Is there any particular reason that our results are not available and when will they be available?

Thanking you for your time,

[Insert Name Here]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

This is an utterly disgraceful state of affairs. When I came to this college I signed up to Arts under the old system- I didn't ask for this. Nor did I ever ask to sit half of my History exams in December- in fact, I'd like to know who signed this huge petition that caused the department to change their mind, because I and anybody I've ever asked about it among friends and students neither saw it or signed it. Nonetheless, I somehow got through December, despite a deplorable situation under which I had an English essay due on the same day of two of my History exams. The fact is, we were working under a half-modular system whereby one department was still under the old system and the other easing into the new. With neither department bothering to communicate with each other, they made things detestably difficult. I cannot get two essay results from last semester because my seminar leader does not in fact use email and appears to dislike his office and my tutor has neglected to make contact details available. Now they're telling me I can't find out how I did in exams either? Please excuse me while I give some delightful quotes to the national press about Brady's street smarts and how if anything, they aught to cut his damn pay...

Right forgot to give the email to send it to. It's assessment@ucd.ie for those who want to contact the exams office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BMcG05

Politics results just released in the department

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

TheVan wrote:
    THEY HAVE THEM....GIVE THEM TO ME

The thing that annoys me the most is that we are meant to have our subjects picked, but what I want to pick this semester depends a whole lot on how I did last semester. Eg I want to ditch trusts if I did badly since I dont need it etc etc.

Mixed in with my anger is also the realisation that this is exactly the sh1t I expect from this hole of a university

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm not sure if it is the exam office that are the ones to blame. I'm completely non-modularised, and all of us got our results last friday, which was before any of the modularised people.

It may be more down to the seperate departments themselves than the exam office.

[edit] We were also told that they would be emailed to us, rather than them being on SIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I think its the department's faults rather than the SIS to be honest. Because as far as I am aware the departments now upload the results for us, so if they don't, we can't see them. I have also heard our results went on noticeboards because it is something to do with the new online results system, they have to put them up with A's B's C's GPA etc... which we don't use so they had to put them on boards.

As far as I'm aware theres nothing illegal about the results on boards because our names aren't attached. However, even if they were attached I think it would still be legal. Was speaking to someone in Trinity (all their results go up with names) who was saying that your final year university results are allowed to be viewed by the public if they ask.
    elmyra wrote:
    Nor did I ever ask to sit half of my History exams in December- in fact, I'd like to know who signed this huge petition that caused the department to change their mind, because I and anybody I've ever asked about it among friends and students neither saw it or signed it.

The petition went around in the final history lecture of 2nd year and as far as I know getting on for 300 people signed it.

According to my notes I was there and I don't remember it being passed my way, but anyhow, a big "told ya so!!" to that 300 straight from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Yep that's what I thought too and even putting them on blackboard doesn't seem right. They're trying to get around that in our thing by only putting hte last three digits of our student numbers up.

Well for the 3rd year politics they had them on the noticeboard in the dept with our full student numbers and a breakdown of how we did in our 3 subjects, which despite doing alright I'm none too pleased with, it's quite easy to work out how friends have done going by combination of subjects, which I know is being quite pedantic but they shouldn't have been done this way, they should have been on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Went into the Health Science Programme Office to find out when we're getting our results, apparently not until the 5th or the middle of February. I love their preciseness. The reason given was that they have to wait until the programme board finalises the grades to give out the results. The thing is that they obviously sat down and did this for the modular students so why couldn't they have done ours at the same time? Typical of this university and the school. I don't think my results have been out on time in my four years here!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Anyone see the article in the observer about this escapade today?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I read the article and the whole thing was ridiculous (not the article itself, but the statements made in it by the college). There was no "hacking" of any sort. The results were there, you just had to know where to look. To put it simply, if the results were written on a page in a book but the author thought nobody would find them if he didnt index the page, someone is still very capable of stumbling across the results page by flicking through the book, because it is just THERE.

Sorry if my explaination was stupid, that article just made me angry. Theres no way the college could get away with punishing students for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

4th Med's results got send to the exams office last week, no sign yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The college are just trying to save face by pretending that it took effort for someone to crack their stupid, stupid system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Off Topic: why did you change your name Firespinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

History results are now up in the K corridor. About size 8 font, about 100 people crowded around one noticeboard and student numbers not in numerical order, typical... They also will not give us our percentage mark until "after the summer exam boards have met" so all we hav is 2H1 etc. We should take the department to task on that because its ridiculous going into the summer exams with a 2H1, which could be 59.5% or 69.4%... a rather large difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In final year med we get our paeds and obs results by all being called into a room and the names of those who failed and passed read out. Its old school medical professionals and they'll never change no matter what data protection act you throw at them.

I really want my results at this stage so I know wether or not to start studying for repeats or not.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The college are just trying to save face by pretending that it took effort for someone to crack their stupid, stupid system.
    That's exactly it. Although, I believe hacking does have a lot to do with knowing what sort of HTTP requests to send i.e., the newest forum on boards.ie at the moment is the bowling forum, the URL for which is [noparse]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay?f=[/noparse]888. That means that the URL for the next new forum created on boards (if it has not already been created) will be [noparse]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay?f=[/noparse]889.

The people who looked up their results using Umaro's method were using similar logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

QFT

@ Johnfas, you can probably work out how high or low a mark it was by what you got overall. Still, I would like the percentages too!

Very happy with History!! 2:1 in the exam I was late for. There is a God!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

The article was good for one thing, it mentioned that UCD took down the link after they found out from the Observer so it's not boards' fault.
    Btw, the article also said that students who saw their results early were emailed and told they were only the provisional results. I didn't get an email about it, did anyone else?

Ours were put up today albeit one subject. This was after a friend got an email saying it'd be at least a week before we'd get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The article was good for one thing, it mentioned that UCD took down the link after they found out from the Observer so it's not boards' fault.
    Btw, the article also said that students who saw their results early were emailed and told they were only the provisional results. I didn't get an email about it, did anyone else?
    They were just trying to save face, what a bunch of saps. They had the results online and ready more than a week before they were due to be officially published, but would they move the date up? NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Not everyones was ready*, it is the policy not to stagger results.
    Then again not everyones are ready yet but meh.

*I tried the loop hole before it was shut and mine werent up.

Also an external examiner does take a sample of results and check them. The results, though may not have changed for most ppl, were subject to change.

People are graded on curves, Ive had 3 exams changed in my time in UCD due to the curve (everyone cant get A's, neither can everyone fail)

There are some good reasons why we have to wait as long as we do for results, thats not to say Im happy with the wait, Im still waiting on mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

What for hte love of god is a G grade?!

Advertisement