Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dazman2250

The history department really is taking the piss in terms of third year results. After being two days late in terms of releasing them, they're then too lazy to put the spreadsheet in order of student card numbers and they don't give any percentages. I got 2:1's across the board so for all I know I could have got 60% or 69%, & there is a major difference between those two marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3rd Geography have the results for Jonathan Turner's course up on the notice board, they've just listed all the student numbers and given a percentage grade next to them which seems to be alot handier than what some of the other departments have done.

They're saying as we're not fully modularised the results are only provisional and will not be put up on sis. The results of the other 2 courses should be up either tomorrow or by next week. Also the results for this class are alot better than you think they'd be. I thought I'd just managed to pass and I ended up getting 59.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

dazman2250 wrote:
    The history department really is taking the piss in terms of third year results. After being two days late in terms of releasing them, they're then too lazy to put the spreadsheet in order of student card numbers and they don't give any percentages. I got 2:1's across the board so for all I know I could have got 60% or 69%, & there is a major difference between those two marks.

Ditto... on every single point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

3rd Year Economics

Head of Department Rodney Thom said today that we will not know our final grades until June. However, because of the mix up (3rd years should never have been told to expect results now) he's working on getting the results of Semester 1 Exams on the Department NOTICE BOARD on Friday 2nd Feb at the earliest, maybe Monday 5th Feb.

These will be very provisional results, and the likelihood is that grades on the cusp (i.e. 39%, 59% 69%) will be maybe bumped upto the higher grade because he doesnt want Horizons mixed up wit the "old school" in 2007/2008.

He also said that Micro results might be bumped up a little cuz the average was low.

For Mode 1 students you can work out your Project Grade by getting the Attenence, Worksheet and Thesis Proposal marks from the Economics Noticeboard.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

3rd Year Economics

Head of Department Rodney Thom said today that we will not know our final grades until June. However, because of the mix up (3rd years should never have been told to expect results now) he's working on getting the results of Semester 1 Exams on the Department NOTICE BOARD on Friday 2nd Feb at the earliest, maybe Monday 5th Feb.

These will be very provisional results, and the likelihood is that grades on the cusp (i.e. 39%, 59% 69%) will be maybe bumped upto the higher grade because he doesnt want Horizons mixed up wit the "old school" in 2007/2008.

He also said that Micro results might be bumped up a little cuz the average was low.

For Mode 1 students you can work out your Project Grade by getting the Attenence, Worksheet and Thesis Proposal marks from the Economics Noticeboard.

That is all.

Speaking of economics, is it possible to get data on the pass/fail rate of econ 10040 (economics & society). I got a c- in it after getting an e in the midterm. the "e" gave me the 33rd highest result out of 233 that mid term:eek: i would like to find out how everyone did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

3rd chemistry results might be out end of next week. i was informed that the faculty need to meet and discuss the results etc early next week, before we can have them.

Speaking of economics, is it possible to get data on the pass/fail rate of econ 10040 (economics & society). I got a c- in it after getting an e in the midterm. the "e" gave me the 33rd highest result out of 233 that mid term:eek: i would like to find out how everyone did

Drop into the economics department. On the other hand you could email the lecturer you had. They probably have them on a excel file somewhere and its just a matter of doing the maths, but i'm sure they have to supply a mean grade and standard deviation to their superiors etc, so they should have them at hand.

I'm sitting it this semester (Glutton for punishment). We were told that there was a 70% fail rate last semester in the mid term, and overall over half failed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'm sitting it this semester (Glutton for punishment). We were told that there was a 70% fail rate last semester in the mid term, and overall over half failed it.

Yep thats us:) In fairness the writing was on the wall. Only 30-40% of the students actually attended lectures. Even after the mid term a " Emergency Urgent Meeting" was called to talk about how crap we did. About 20% showed up for it! And actually the mid term fail rate was 85% :eek: .

These 2 events/quotes sum up our class:

Moore McDowell - " You are the worst economics class i have ever seen, and I have been here 25 years" :D

Christmas Exam Question: " How would you reduce greenhouse gases?"
    Student X answer(not me) : Put a tax on greenhouses
    :)

Moore McDowell - " You are the worst economics class i have ever seen, and I have been here 25 years" :D

Christmas Exam Question: " How would you reduce greenhouse gases?"
    Student X answer(not me) : Put a tax on greenhouses
    :)

that's one of the funniest things i've ever read on these boards.
    Moore would have said that so well, i can just imagine him saying that.

By the way, here's a little bit of trivia. My signature? "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" is a Moore McDowell Quote. TANSTAAFL all the way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

that's one of the funniest things i've ever read on these boards.
    Moore would have said that so well, i can just imagine him saying that.

By the way, here's a little bit of trivia. My signature? "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" is a Moore McDowell Quote. TANSTAAFL all the way. :D

Are you Moore McDowell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Yep thats us:) In fairness the writing was on the wall. Only 30-40% of the students actually attended lectures. Even after the mid term a " Emergency Urgent Meeting" was called to talk about how crap we did. About 20% showed up for it! And actually the mid term fail rate was 85% :eek: .
    I have something to rival ye:
    Solid State Electronics
    Midterm average: 29%
    Failure rate in final exam: 70%
    And yes it is as fun as the name suggests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well some results are due out on or before the 12th of February. I just want to know how I did so I can figure out how many credits I lost and move on. Can we just fast forward a fortnight? Please? :)

Are you Moore McDowell?

Economaniac can neither confirm nor deny this question.

Moore McDowell doesn't lecture Economics. He is Economics.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

imagine such an esteemed writer having to put with failing ruffians :D

gubbie wrote:
    Solid State Electronics

Ah the memories of that exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

gubbie wrote:
    I have something to rival ye:
    Solid State Electronics
    And yes it is as fun as the name suggests

Well at least about a third of you guys got an A in Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

3rd Year Economics

That is all.

Thats a relief. I did **** in micro but all of my friends thought it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Pythia wrote:
    Well at least about a third of you guys got an A in Maths.
    :confused: Surely a 70% failure rate doesn't mean that the other 30% all got above 70% in the exam?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

:confused: Surely a 70% failure rate doesn't mean that the other 30% all got above 70% in the exam?!

Solid state electronics + maths NOT the same subject...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

dajaffa wrote:
    Solid state electronics + maths NOT the same subject...
    Aaaah... D'oh. Thanks, Izzy. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Did anyone see the story on the front of The Observer about this? Apparently the college is considering "disciplinary action" over the "hacking" of SIS.

OMFG. A pretty large group of students are already pissed off the results situation as it is. Surely college resources would be better used actually, you know, releasing our results slightly less late than they already are.

My understanding of the situation is that this was not a "hack" (Well if the word was used correctly it would be a hack in the sense that it was a clever manipulation of a system to do something it wasn't strictly intended to do but that's not what they're getting at here).

There was no effort to circumvent security measures here. Using valid credentials, some people logged in and entered a URL. They typed a web address, requested a publicly accessible page. If anyone should be disciplined here it's the sysadmins responsible for the security of the UCD network and our personal data.

I'd tend to agree with most the opinions expressed in the editorial but The Observer handled the story itself pretty badly. Most people would have read the front made and never have made it to the opinion section. There was no effort to explain the nature of the incident at all and the term "hacking" was used all over the place, plainly incorrectly. The effect is to sensationalise an incident that doesn't deserve such attention. I wonder if college authorities would have involved themselves at all in the absence of such coverage.

@the people involved in this, disciplinary action like this requires a sort of "mini-trial" in accordance with UCD rules. If they actually go through with this, get a staff member who actually knows what they're talking about to defend you. I'd say you'll come out of it fairly well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Duffman wrote:
    My understanding of the situation is that this was not a "hack" (Well if the word was used correctly it would be a hack in the sense that it was a clever manipulation of a system to do something it wasn't strictly intended to do but that's not what they're getting at here).

There was no effort to circumvent security measures here. Using valid credentials, some people logged in and entered a URL. They typed a web address, requested a publicly accessible page. If anyone should be disciplined here it's the sysadmins responsible for the security of the UCD network and our personal data.

I think this is all that matters here, as you said (and others here have said the same) it wasn't a case of hacking, just that CS got caught with their trousers down. They should just dry their eyes and learn their lesson for the next time. I can't think of any harm that was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Brian Doyle was on Belfield FM yesterday and said he'd been in contact with the registrars office (I'm open to correction on what office he said btw, may have been the exams office) and there was no disciplinary action being planned against any student.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

Brian Doyle was on Belfield FM yesterday and said he'd been in contact with the registrars office (I'm open to correction on what office he said btw, may have been the exams office) and there was no disciplinary action being planned against any student.

Why did the Observer focus on that then? I thought it was a remarkable line for them to take. The focus should have been on the fact that SIS is unsecure. They have a habit of taking the establishment line on things (altough the editoral was quite daming of the college)

Did the Observer get any indication whatsoever from a source saying that student could have disciplinary action, or were they just looking for a sensationalist headline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Steibhin wrote:
    Why did the Observer focus on that then? I thought it was a remarkable line for them to take. The focus should have been on the fact that SIS is unsecure. They have a habit of taking the establishment line on things (altough the editoral was quite daming of the college)

Did the Observer get any indication whatsoever from a source saying that student could have disciplinary action, or were they just looking for a sensationalist headline?

I'd say the college just said that to appear strict and authoritarian, to make it appear that the students had done something unjust, and to divert attention away from the fact the they simply screwed up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

humbert wrote:
    I'd say the college just said that to appear strict and authoritarian, to make it appear that the students had done something unjust, and to divert attention away from the fact the they simply screwed up big time.

And isn't it nice that they have The Observer to help them..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Steibhin wrote:
    And isn't it nice that they have The Observer to help them..

Yea, poor show on their part. for a student paper they could have given a much more realistic account of what happened in that article.

Does data protection apply to exam results i wonder? So basically once a provisional mark has been uploaded to the server it's on a computer and as such you can ask to see it (for a small processing fee).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The Observer is completely stuck up its own hole. Its too concerned with global politics and name dropping, and lets face it its about as independant as tibet.

I was at a bit of the L&H colours debate last night and someone said something that really struck a chord with me re: The Observer.
    They were talking about the Talleyrand article, it is really only written by and for a select tiny clique of hacks. As the speaker righly pointed out 95% of students (at least!) had no idea who the ppl mentioned were or why they had funny nick names.

Now the Tribune, thats a good paper, and a pity IMO that they've decided not to compete with the observer like they did last semester, though if its felt to be in the students better interests so be it.

Advertisement