Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Just got this on blackboard from Sociology dept:

SOC30060: release of third year results
    Dear students,

We have had a number of enquiries about third year results. Due to workload constraints, work from last semester is currently be marked and we hope to process this very soon so that results can be realised by 9th March in line with University guidelines on releasing third year results. We realise that this is a fairly lengthy process to wait for results and sympathise but ask you to bear with us during this busy time.

Now might I ask, are any of you guys in 2nd or 1st year Sociology classes and did they manage to give you your grades on time? And if so, why should the correction of first or second year results be prioritised over the results of peoples FINALS?! (im not trying to pick on the first and second years here either i'm just trying to make a point) How is is possible that they can correct all the first and second year assesments within a few weeks and yet third year assesments take an extra two months on top of this? People are trying to figure out what postgrads to apply for and a alot of this has to be done in februrary- the results will have a huge influence on the decisions people make!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Pythia wrote:
    Well at least about a third of you guys got an A in Maths.
    I have never in my life heard such a cry of "We love Gow" :D and wow I didn't know it was that high
    dajaffa wrote:
    Solid state electronics + maths NOT the same subject...
    *snigger*

Apparently the 3rd year solid state class (we had the same professor for the subject also) only only had a very few passing the exam aswell-one of the lads I was talking to said he only knew one that passed it. Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

random_banter, the Sociology Department have always been utter grade A arseholes. I'm so glad I dont do that subject anymore, they never gave me any impression they gave a toss about their students. Get onto your class rep, get all your classmates to meet up and put pressure them, there are absolutely zero excuses for any department not to have results corrected by now.
    The Observer is completely stuck up its own hole. Its too concerned with global politics and name dropping, and lets face it its about as independant as tibet.

I was at a bit of the L&H colours debate last night and someone said something that really struck a chord with me re: The Observer.
    They were talking about the Talleyrand article, it is really only written by and for a select tiny clique of hacks. As the speaker righly pointed out 95% of students (at least!) had no idea who the ppl mentioned were or why they had funny nick names.

Now the Tribune, thats a good paper, and a pity IMO that they've decided not to compete with the observer like they did last semester, though if its felt to be in the students better interests so be it.

What you said. I find the Observer extremely pro-college authorities and I also find them way too comfy towards the SU. It's like they're scared of honesty and run away from controversy. The biased reporting in main story in favour of the IT/admin clowns in this college was deplorable.

In other words - read the Tribune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

Now might I ask, are any of you guys in 2nd or 1st year Sociology classes and did they manage to give you your grades on time? And if so, why should the correction of first or second year results be prioritised over the results of peoples FINALS

so far from this whole debacle i've found out a few things:

- The BIG mistake here was "that" message on SIS stating that ALL undergraduate Semester 1 results would made available from 5pm....
    3rd year results were NEVER coming out on this time.

- It was the "kindness" of the respective departments to release results they had already corrected after disgruntled 3yrs ran to them last monday angry as hell.

- The Sociology delay is due to the large general workload associated with 2nd yr and 3rd year Sociology.

For those 3rd year Arts students still pissed off about this situation. Thank the lord we are LEAVING at the end of the year!!

"haha, screw you guys! i'm going home!" - Eric Cartman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Moore McDowell doesn't lecture Economics. He is Economics.
    /High five.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

High five.

Graciously returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

so far from this whole debacle i've found out a few things:

- The BIG mistake here was "that" message on SIS stating that ALL undergraduate Semester 1 results would made available from 5pm....
    3rd year results were NEVER coming out on this time.

- It was the "kindness" of the respective departments to release results they had already corrected after disgruntled 3yrs ran to them last monday angry as hell.

- The Sociology delay is due to the large general workload associated with 2nd yr and 3rd year Sociology.

For those 3rd year Arts students still pissed off about this situation. Thank the lord we are LEAVING at the end of the year!!

"haha, screw you guys! i'm going home!" - Eric Cartman.

It seems to me that transitionally modularised students just get the raw end of the deal in every regard:

-We have to do Christmas exams when we used to never have to.

-All the exam timings are changed so that nothing can be above 2 hours or have a half hour in it.

-We're not given results at the same time and made to wait months for them to be released.

-Even worse those of us doing 4 year degrees have another year of this mes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

dazman2250 wrote:
    The history department really is taking the piss in terms of third year results. After being two days late in terms of releasing them, they're then too lazy to put the spreadsheet in order of student card numbers and they don't give any percentages. I got 2:1's across the board so for all I know I could have got 60% or 69%, & there is a major difference between those two marks.

Totally agree.

The department told me the day the results came out that they won't give us any percentages until the exam boards meet in the SUMMER, which means someone with 2H2s across the board could be really close to slipping to a 3H or really close to increasing to a 2H1 but has no idea for the entire semester! This is despite the fact that many other depts (eg Politics, Social Science, Geography etc) have given all their third years their percentages, and all other years are dealing in grades so have an idea of what they got ( e.g. B- is equal to 60-65% or whatever it is). Our year are all being treated like second class citizens and I don't think its acceptable, especially as we're final years. I don't understand why other years and other departments in our year can give percentages but ours won't; it's really unequitable for students to receive their results all in different ways.

Surely if they can tell us that we got a 2:2 then they can tell us what % it is? If the % changes substantially or materially then so will the grade so its not as if withholding the % will stop us noticing the change in the end? If anything, knowing you were borderline between moving up or down a grade would make you work HARDER and do better, which is surely what they want? You would think so.

We're big adults now. We can handle knowing that they're provisional results and that they could change. But we'd still like to know the %, like pretty much EVERY other arts department has allowed their students, from what I've heard.

Another point - I looked at the entire list on the noticeboard and in 350 students there was one 1H1. This is a 0.2% average in a university where the average across the board of 1H1s is 11%. Go figure.

I really cannot wait to be out of here, it is very tiring that even simple things like this are a huge struggle with the behemoth that is UCD admin - totally devoid of logic, empathy or reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 no comment

3rd Yr Economics results for Micro and Econometrics have been posted on the noticeboard at the school's reception....the rest of the results to follow soon, probably, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Vainglory wrote:
    Totally agree.

The department told me the day the results came out that they won't give us any percentages until the exam boards meet in the SUMMER, which means someone with 2H2s across the board could be really close to slipping to a 3H or really close to increasing to a 2H1 but has no idea for the entire semester! This is despite the fact that many other depts (eg Politics, Social Science, Geography etc) have given all their third years their percentages, and all other years are dealing in grades so have an idea of what they got ( e.g. B- is equal to 60-65% or whatever it is). Our year are all being treated like second class citizens and I don't think its acceptable, especially as we're final years. I don't understand why other years and other departments in our year can give percentages but ours won't; it's really unequitable for students to receive their results all in different ways.

Surely if they can tell us that we got a 2:2 then they can tell us what % it is? If the % changes substantially or materially then so will the grade so its not as if withholding the % will stop us noticing the change in the end? If anything, knowing you were borderline between moving up or down a grade would make you work HARDER and do better, which is surely what they want? You would think so.

We're big adults now. We can handle knowing that they're provisional results and that they could change. But we'd still like to know the %, like pretty much EVERY other arts department has allowed their students, from what I've heard.

Another point - I looked at the entire list on the noticeboard and in 350 students there was one 1H1. This is a 0.2% average in a university where the average across the board of 1H1s is 11%. Go figure.

I really cannot wait to be out of here, it is very tiring that even simple things like this are a huge struggle with the behemoth that is UCD admin - totally devoid of logic, empathy or reason.

QFT.

The History department are the most inept bunch of...aggghhhhh!!! Have you noticed what the second essay is about this semester? It's a bloody book review, not a history essay! It has also come to my attention that the tutor I have this semester for my course has never tutored final year students before and in fact hasn't done the course they're tutoring. Just it's well it's only my finals they're fucking around with!

Give us the percentages damn it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

So do something concrete. There's enough of you - 3rd Arts has in the region of 2,000 students in it, doesn't it? This isn't what you signed up for, you're not being given any of the information about your course that you should know, you're all being treated like shít. (I thought it was crap last year, but man am I glad that I graduated in December. I'd hate to be putting up with the nonsense you guys have to. You have extra work for no extra recognition, you're constantly wondering what they're going to change next and neither the Education officer nor the SU Pres seem to give a flying fcuk. Nobody tells you anything until after it's happened and the general attitude is like it or lump it. You had christmas exams, but no opportunity to repeat them if you fail, unlike the modular students. Shítty end of the stick all round, it would appear.)

Elmyra and other 3rd history folk reading this - am thinking of organising a petition to go around the class at the Monday 9am about this. Thoughts?

I got the Education Officer to ask about it and the history dept. just say it's at their discretion. Which I'm sure it is, but it doesn't make their decision to with-hold the %'s right, fair or in line with what any other dept. is doing.

What's QFT? I did know, but I've forgotten.

Quoted for truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Vainglory wrote:
    Elmyra and other 3rd history folk reading this - am thinking of organising a petition to go around the class at the Monday 9am about this. Thoughts?

I got the Education Officer to ask about it and the history dept. just say it's at their discretion. Which I'm sure it is, but it doesn't make their decision to with-hold the %'s right, fair or in line with what any other dept. is doing.

While this has little to do with me I do think a protest of some sort is in order and fear that anything organised to happen, requiring student participation, at 9am monday will not get a good turnout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Vainglory wrote:

I'd certainly sign it, though I'd suggest you'd get a higher attendance on Tuesday at 11. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Blush 01 wrote:
    Quoted for truth
    I'm glad you cleared that up for me, i thought it was quit fcuking talking!! :p

The Monday 9am is usually decently full but it's a fair point, I'll draw one up Monday afternoon sometime and send it around to any History folk by PM for thoughts. Do you think there'd be support for it?

On an interesting point though..Apparently when the exam boards do meet, anyone within 1.5% of moving up a grade is automatically moved, and anyone within 3% is considered. From a good source although can't be totally sure of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Vainglory a couple of friends of mine are already on it. They've written a letter and are going to try get most of the year to sign it and then send it to the department as well as get it published in the Observer and the Tribune.

They've spoken to Brian Doyle about it too. I'm not sure of the exact details of what is planned, but they've already started the ball rolling.

Haha! That's great, really pleased to hear we're not the only ones pissed off.

If the History dept will change their minds about Xmas exams on the basis of a year-wide petition then maybe this might affect them a bit too..

Think the letter should stress that we're pretty much alone in this situation in that every other third year subject that has got results has been given percentages as well. Farcical altogether.

Are they passing it around one of the lectures? We should ask for a meeting between the class rep and the School too.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Sociology have recieved no results and we've been told that we will have them for the 7th or March, and Geography have only been given the results of one exam out of a possible 4 courses (3 for all, 4 for me).

Anyone else in Sociology or Geography interested in doing something similar to the History class, or have you heard anything about anyone organising anything?
    Im not too pushed about the Geography dept, theyre genuinely lovely and seem to be making a real effort to get their results out, theyve said we should have them by Monday, I think.

However the sociology dept. deserves to burn in hell.

• Advertisement

A meeting of all third year arts class reps and interested parties might be in order - I could ask the Arts programme officers to sort one out. My list of grievances is as long as my arm about how the exams and results were conducted for us and I'm sure that goes for everyone else too.

Yeah I think the plan is to pass it around in a lecture and get everyone to sign it. I havent read it yet, but knowing the people that wrote it I imagine it will be a great letter. I think I'm going to get a copy before the lecture to see if I think there's anything they should add. If I do, I'll definitely pass it on to you.

From what I can gather the fundamental reason why the school won't give us a percentage is because this percentage could change, ultimately changing the provisional grade that we have been given. I don't understand this at all.

1. The school's rationale is that they don't want to give us a result that might change
    2. However, they have given us a grade - 2H1, 2H2 etc.
    3. If the percentage changes materially (i.e if a 57.5% is changed to a 60.0%) then the grade they have given us will also change (it would go, in this case, from a 2H2 provisionally on the noticeboard now to a 2H1 in the summer)
    4. Therefore by witholding the percentage they are not protecting us from the knowledge that we have had a grade changed (up or down) because they have already given us that grade and we will see the difference when and if it happens. I can't imagine they would bother changing a percentage if it didn't affect the grade given ( i.e. they wouldn't bother changing a 64% to a 66%).
    5. Therefore I don't really see the logic in giving the grade, yet witholding the percentage. If the goal is to shield us from the knowledge that we have had a grade materially changed between Christmas and summer then this approach will demonstrably not work.

To be honest, from talking to a few people in the class this is really the straw breaking the camel's back. Exams at Christmas were all over the shop, people had 3 or 4 finals in one day, no timetables until very late, people had coursework worth 70% of a module due on the same day as two final exams, we had less time to study before exams than ever before, combined with more coursework than ever before (I had 7 essays to do last semester), we were messed around with the results date and told on SIS that "all undergraduate results will be available on 29th January from 5pm" and now we hear that we weren't meant to get them at all yet nobody bothered to indicate this to us, resulting in immense stress and worry for all involved.

People are really sick and tired of this sort of stuff, not being told anything, told things too late, or told incorrect information when all it would take to clarify things would be a simple email or notice on SIS etc. I pretty much take exception to the suggestion that first or second years should get priority about results - sure, it may be their repeats on the line but these are our degrees and we don't even get repeats at all. Correct me if I'm wrong as well but surely the results first and second years just received are also provisional and subject to change at summer exam boards? I fail to see why they are afforded the luxury of a reliable percentage indicator ( e.g. B- being equal to 60-65% or whatever) and we as final years are not.

The phrase "The Year that UCD Forgot" springs to mind.

Beanyb I'd really like to be involved in helping out whoever's doing it if you could pass that on. Available all day Monday to meet if they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

beanyb - when will that petition be passed around monday at 9 yea? I'll make sure Im in for that! but maybe suggest having it at the Tuesday one as well just so everyone gets a chance to sign, there signatures the better!

random banter - Im in 3rd sociology, havent heard anything bout a petition but maybe lets organise one? pm me and we can orgainise one or meet up if ya like!

You'll find support from people outside of the 3rd year BA programme too, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

This really sums up the whole attitude of the college to the students. The primary function of a university is to award degrees to students, but with UCD they don't seem to give a crap. Go to http://www.ucd.ie Look at the stuff they have on their homepage, relevant to about 0.0001% of people who have anything to do with UCD.

They're quick enough to update that rubbish once something happens, but giving students their grades seems to be a non-event, down the bottom of the priority list. I mean they're still claiming on SIS and the Exams Website that i've had my results since Monday. Why don't they get the person who's busy updating us on UCD's new initiative to prevent Crime or cure Cancer to just put a little note somewhere apologising for the cock - up over exam results and some sort of indication over when most exam results will be available.

Behaviour along those lines, which would indicate humility, compassion, logic, reason and best practice is entirely beyond their capacities..

Villaricos - I'm not sure when it's going to be passed around. I imagine Tuesday would be better than Monday, but I'll try find out.

Vainglory - Yeah I'll definitely pass that onto them. I'm sure they'll be very grateful for any help you can give!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

If there's a petition going around then it might as well be wholesale. I'd invite anyone with a problem or a flaw in UCD's logic on any topic relating to the announcement or distribution of exam results to put it here, on this thread.

We then have a chance to collate all the problems and once this is done, we can launch into a full-force petition, lobby, whingefest to the national media, etc etc. This sort of sh*te has gone on too long but, as the UCD forum always seems wont to do, we end up just having a moan to each other rather than taking a proactive stance. Enough of it, let's get this shit moving.

Perhaps it might be an idea to have every post to add to the list posted with a title line like the one above or a thumbs-down logo to identify it as being seperate from the rest of the thread. I'd start a second thread but I'd worry about keeping their subject matter seperate so I think it best to go this way.

The power has always been the ball in our hands. Let's start throwing it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Do we know what time the results are meant to come out at today? Is it a 5pm jobbie or could they possibly be out now? I know, I'll just check!

Advertisement