Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place for my wireless modem?

• 24-01-2007 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have Eircom broadband at 2 meg speed. I have it working and everything but the signal doesent span the whole house as the technision placed the wall socket upstairs on one side of the house. My question is when I get it moved to a more central location would it be better to place it downstairs or upstairs? There is four laptops in the house and they are mostly used downstairs. Would the signal travel further from upstairs or on the ground floor which has concrete walls or upstairs which has slabbed walls or does it even matter. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Not directly answering your question as I don't know about the Eircom device but you could get a wireless router. Then plug your Eircom device in at the spot with the best signal and your router into that. That should give you internet access wirelessly from your laptops pretty much anywhere in your house (as long as they have wireless capability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Thanks for the comment, i failed to say that the eircom modem is a wireless router also but it does not span the whole house from its current location. I want to know if placing the router upstairs or on the ground floor will give me better coverage from a more central location? Or does it matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Ah I thought the Eircom modem was receiving the signal wirelessly from Eircom. No idea then. Best bet is to plug it in at a couple of different spots and then walk around with your laptop to see if the signal is acceptable where you intend working from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You might be able to get better signal in other parts of the house by just adjusting the angle that the aerials are pointing in. The signal is stronger if it is pointing at right angles to where you are trying to pick it up from.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can't find the link (or rather haven't looked) but from what I recall the greatest signal strength radiates out from the top / sides of the modem, and to a lesser extent the base. So Ideally it should be downstairs for optimum strength.

Sounded mad to me, considering that they all have rotating antennae but give it a go if you can.

Alternatively turn it upside down upstairs and see does the strength improve!

• Advertisement
Advertisement