Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in UK

Options
  • 24-01-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

I had reason recently to drive from London up the M4. It was a great pleasure, no overtaking lane hoggers, everyone moved back into the driving lane after and overtaking manoeuvre.

Then, 1 hour into the journey I spotted someone driving in the overtaking lane and thought maybe they have some morons like we have here, nothing in the driving lane and this muppet sitting doing 70 in the overtaking lane with 3 cars behind flashing, etc. He eventually moved into the driving lane so I went to overtake, and low and behold what was his reg – 06-D-XXXX.

Once the 3 cars and myself overtook and moved back to the driving lane, i checked the mirror and Mr Dub moved back into the overtaking lane. AHHH

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh dear. Not a good ambassador for Ireland him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I love it :D , just goes to show doesn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Yep,
    IRL plates really piss me of when I see them driving like this on the M8/77

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

To be fair - (And I rarely am) there was 0 number motorways about when I did my test and the govt has done absolutely "F" all about teaching people how to drive on motorways here since. (At least those of us who learned to drive before the motorways were on the curiculum)

There should be at least a TV / Radio adverts not to mention huge signs on the side of the M'way but as usual feck all.

BTW -This is something Mr Faughnan should be banging on about on the radio some folk actually listen to him he has a responsibility to bring attention to these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Same thing happened last time i was in France. Belting road on the dual cabbageway and came onto a tailback of 12 to 15 cars. Some muppet out on the overtaking lane. When he eventually pulled out of the overtaking lane we passed him. Yip you guessed it - reg number 04-LK-xxxx :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

DukeDredd wrote:
    Same thing happened last time i was in France. Belting road on the dual cabbageway and came onto a tailback of 12 to 15 cars. Some muppet out on the overtaking lane. When he eventually pulled out of the overtaking lane we passed him. Yip you guessed it - reg number 04-LK-xxxx :rolleyes:

Yeah, but France is different :D

He/she was probably giving out stink about the 12 - 15 cars bullying him/her into the overtaking lane only to proceed and "undertake" him/her

:D:D:D

You are not allowed to drive on the motorways with a provisional license.

The rules to driving on the motorway is in the rules of the road book.

Not being smart but you want to be pretty thick not to know, or you just dont care enough about your own safety to look it up or check it out.

Am use to calling it the fast lane from driving in the UK, and the GF always corrects me its an overtaking lane.

Does this mean that every one over a certain age who didnt do the theory test be made sit it now to ensure that they are up to scratch with those who know the rules of the road from taking their theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

RobAMerc wrote:
    To be fair - (And I rarely am) there was 0 number motorways about when I did my test....

That's a good point. People my Dad's age (55 to 60) are aggressive and generaly bad drivers. They really need to sit another test or at least do another course. This of course does not go for all of these drivers.

They cant do roundabouts properly.

They cant merge properly (they drive as close as they can to the car in front of them).

They think anyone trying to merge is "trying to f*cking get in front" of them.

They think the overtaking lane on the motorway is the "fast lane for big saloons"

They think anyone under forty is a boy racer or a whipper snapper.

They think its fine to drive after a few scoops.

They think front fog lights are "spot lights"

They do things they would never dream of doing outside their car (giving the finger....)

They having a terrier on their lap is perfectly safe.

They think all Gards look and should be treated as if they are twelve.

They think driving eight inches behind someone is fine (to stop any f*cker getting in front of them)

They think the no mobile phone law is only for people who are careless and that they would never cause an accident.

They think cyclists are "in the way"

They think women drivers are like chocolate ashtrays.

They think grass verges are nice resting places for their tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

kluivert wrote:
    You are not allowed to drive on the motorways with a provisional license.

The rules to driving on the motorway is in the rules of the road book.

Not being smart but you want to be pretty thick not to know, or you just dont care enough about your own safety to look it up or check it out.

Am use to calling it the fast lane from driving in the UK, and the GF always corrects me its an overtaking lane.

Does this mean that every one over a certain age who didnt do the theory test be made sit it now to ensure that they are up to scratch with those who know the rules of the road from taking their theory test.
    Actually you are supposed to take a couple of lessons on a motorway after you pass your test, and your also suppost to wait 1 year before you use motorways...I was told this by my tester when i passed my test...

but most people(including myself) dont bother with this and just learn by experience, as in this country there are few differences between motorways and dual carriage ways anyway... so its pretty easy to adapt to driving on a motorway...

even though i wouldnt be supprised if they brought in how to use the toll bridges in to the theory as despite there purpose being served, i.e. the bridge built and payed for, the government are letting the toll companies continue to double tax the driver...

it should be a case of you pay one tax or the other(either the tax one your car or a tax to use a road)...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lightening wrote:
    That's a good point. People my Dad's age (55 to 60) are aggressive and generaly bad drivers. They really need to sit another test or at least do another course. This of course does not go for all of these drivers.

They cant do roundabouts properly.

They cant merge properly (they drive as close as they can to the car in front of them).

They think anyone trying to merge is "trying to f*cking get in front" of them.

They think the overtaking lane on the motorway is the "fast lane for big saloons"

They think anyone under forty is a boy racer or a whipper snapper.

They think its fine to drive after a few scoops.

They think front fog lights are "spot lights"

They do things they would never dream of doing outside their car (giving the finger....)

They having a terrier on their lap is perfectly safe.

They think all Gards look and should be treated as if they are twelve.

They think driving eight inches behind someone is fine (to stop any f*cker getting in front of them)

They think the no mobile phone law is only for people who are careless and that they would never cause an accident.

They think cyclists are "in the way"

They think women drivers are like chocolate ashtrays.

They think grass verges are nice resting places for their tyres.
    Mr perfect you must be the best driver in the world or so you think, you obivously don't consentrate much on your driving if you can see all this happening. Wait till you clock up a few more miles kid then you can blow about your expert driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Sam Kade wrote:
    Mr perfect you must be the best driver in the world or so you think, you obivously don't consentrate much on your driving if you can see all this happening. Wait till you clock up a few more miles kid then you can blow about your expert driving.

Touchy touchy Sam Kade. I think Mr. Perfect has a good post there. Did you tick too many of the boxes as you read it? ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hobochris wrote:
    Actually you are supposed to take a couple of lessons on a motorway after you pass your test, and your also suppost to wait 1 year before you use motorways...I was told this by my tester when i passed my test...

but most people(including myself) dont bother with this and just learn by experience, as in this country there are few differences between motorways and dual carriage ways anyway... so its pretty easy to adapt to driving on a motorway...
    I have never heard of this before. I believe thats the case in NI (when they are on 'R' plates).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

hobochris wrote:
    but most people(including myself) dont bother with this and just learn by experience, ...

There in lies the problem!

X.

Sam Kade wrote:

I concentrate a lot, you need to with some of the driving out there. I have been driving for fourteen years. Performance cars and normal cars, I have been in one accident where a German truck driver immediately admitted liability.

Kiddo!!

Sam Kade wrote:

Three posts in and getting touchy.

Woman drove right out infront of me when i was on the roundabout north of Dundalk this morning in a big Range Rover and never even turned her head to look.

She wasnt young by any means around 40 or so. I could see the whites in her eyes she was that close. I thought she was approaching the roundabout at a good speed, good job i anticpated that she wouldnt stop.

What happened to giving way to people on your right.

Now answer me honestly, if i didnt break and she would have hit me, who do you think would have come out the worst, Ranger Rover v Astra.

Am starting to develop road rage these days with people taking unncessary risks on the roads.

If you want to kill yourself, grand do so but dont get me involved.

Aside from all the other things they do, they get incredibly incensed if you point out their bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sam Kade wrote:

"You young whippersnapper!" ;)

Stark wrote:
    "You young whippersnapper!" ;)

That's such a compliment!

good cop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

driving in the uk is a pleasure. never mind the fact the roads are much better, the people are far more courtious.

never mind driving on the m50 here, i think the new naas road is worse. its now three lanes and u get muppets sitting in all three lanes side by side. not just middle lane hoggers!

the problems i find driving over here are

1. people hogging outside lanes
    2. driving with fog lights on
    3. not knowing what lane to be in when approaching a roundabout

among many others, but these are what get me annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

xabi wrote:
    I had reason recently to drive from London up the M4. It was a great pleasure, no overtaking lane hoggers, everyone moved back into the driving lane after and overtaking manoeuvre.

Then, 1 hour into the journey I spotted someone driving in the overtaking lane and thought maybe they have some morons like we have here, nothing in the driving lane and this muppet sitting doing 70 in the overtaking lane with 3 cars behind flashing, etc. He eventually moved into the driving lane so I went to overtake, and low and behold what was his reg – 06-D-XXXX.

Once the 3 cars and myself overtook and moved back to the driving lane, i checked the mirror and Mr Dub moved back into the overtaking lane. AHHH

X.

I saw the exact same thing on the M5 near Birmingham last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Slightly off topic here, but to me the most annoying thing is the 30 or 40 mph car/van driver, driving just left of the centre white line on a wide open straight national road.
    And you can’t overtake because there’s too much traffic coming the other direction.

The person doing this should get penalty points,

Why can’t everyone do the same speed at the same time, keep there distance from the car in front on a national road (not motorway or dual carriageway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Slightly off topic here, but to me the most annoying thing is the 30 or 40 mph car/van driver, driving just left of the centre white line on a wide open straight national road.
    And you can’t overtake because there’s too much traffic coming the other direction.

The person doing this should get penalty points,
    Why can’t everyone do the same speed at the same time, keep there distance from the car in front on a national road (not motorway or dual carriageway)[/
    QUOTE]

exactly pisses me off big time.:mad:
    as for the second part (bold) you cant do the same speed because theres always people that will do 65mph 70mph and some even chance 75mph on n roads thats why you cant drive the same speed:eek:

lightening wrote:
    I concentrate a lot, you need to with some of the driving out there. I have been driving for fourteen years. Performance cars and normal cars, I have been in one accident where a German truck driver immediately admitted liability.

Kiddo!!
    Of course he was wrong how could Mr Perfect be wrong. You contradicted yourself with your original list of bad driving habits you said that older drivers think anyone under forty are boy racers, isn't that the same as you are doing saying that older drivers should retake the driving test.

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Touchy touchy Sam Kade. I think Mr. Perfect has a good post there. Did you tick too many of the boxes as you read it? ;)
    Jayus I didn't know that he was conducting a bleedin survey. He forgot to put in the boxes. By the way we all know how you Dubs drive hogging the outside lanes of motorways in the UK.

Sam Kade wrote:
    isn't that the same as you are doing saying that older drivers should retake the test.

Rea my post fella... I will repeat what I said.

This of course does not go for all of these drivers.

now, enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

QUOTE=xabi]I had reason recently to drive from London up the M4. It was a great pleasure, no overtaking lane hoggers, everyone moved back into the driving lane after and overtaking manoeuvre.

Agreed. Much better road network. The drivers seem to be more patient and considerate. Driving there seems to be less stressful, probably due to LESS traffic jams! But they do have there own muppet drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

grahamo wrote:
    Agreed. Much better road network. The drivers seem to be more patient and considerate. Driving there seems to be less stressful, probably due to LESS traffic jams! But they do have there own muppet drivers.
    They certainly do, and when you do find one, they display their muppetry in grand style, believe me. You'll also come across crazy idiots on the road in other countries in Europe than the UK too, but there it seems to be the exception, rather than the rule and the general standard of driving is much higher then here.

Now, I can cope with that much easier .. 99.9% of the time you just drive around minding your own business, getting on with life, and every now and then there's the occasional idiot to deal with. Unless you're prone to road rage, you can just shrug it off, and carry on.

Here, on the other hand, it's another story. The general standard of driving is appallingly low, so there's this continuous drip, drip, drip of minor annoyances and irritations, plus the more frequent occurrences of moderately annoying behaviour, that you hardly notice the really bad stuff above the background noise of generally crap driving. Over the long term it can start to wear you down, and frustration and irritation begin to set in.

That's my take on the situation anyway, having lived in the UK, Germany and Holland for many years, and only recently moving here to Ireland. Maybe if you've lived here and driven here all your life it may all appear 'normal', but believe me, it isn't. Once upon a time I remember actually enjoying driving .. not any more, except when I travel abroad on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Of course, along with the "minor" annoyances, you get the get the occasional full-blown crazy borderline-suicidal-and-I'm-taking-as-many-of-you-with-me-as-I-can moron, like the one I met the other day on the slip road from the M50 to the M1. He/she/it was REVERSING back toward the M50 where the slip road bends around. Luckily I saw them in time and was able to change lanes. Blew them out of it as I past, but they continued on their merry way.

Now there's something you don't see every day. Thankfully.

lightening wrote:
    Rea my post fella... I will repeat what I said.

This of course does not go for all of these drivers.

now, enough.
    I just rea oop's read your post and of course not all drivers are perfect everybody makes mistakes even you my friend in your fourteen years of driving. If you can make a mistake typing then I am sure you make mistakes driving.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote:
    even you my friend in your fourteen years of driving. If you can make a mistake typing then I am sure you make mistakes driving.

Ok, this is getting immature, your down to correcting my spelling now even though yours is as bad. I do make mistakes but misspelling something has different consequences than making mistakes behind the wheel at 120 kilometres an hour.

Now please, let this go.

Advertisement