Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in UK

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

RobAMerc wrote:
    To be fair - (And I rarely am) there was 0 number motorways about when I did my test and the govt has done absolutely "F" all about teaching people how to drive on motorways here since. (At least those of us who learned to drive before the motorways were on the curiculum)

There should be at least a TV / Radio adverts not to mention huge signs on the side of the M'way but as usual feck all.
    I agree. I was going to say that you do learn about this when you learn how to drive, but so few people over here have a full license I'd be wasting my breath :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Whats the big deal about driving on motorways the few that are in Ireland are so short by the time you get up to 70mph you would be a the end of them. Does everyone that done their driving test over the last few years be taken on to a motorway? the answer to that is no because L drivers can't drive on the motorway so to be able to drive on a motorway you must first pass your test.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It takes your car an hour to get up to 70mph? Wow, I thought mine was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Well, if you're driving a Model T or a rusty old Austin 7 like oul' Sam there, you might take an hour before you reach 70mph. How does the overcomb hold up at that sort of pace Sam? ;)

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Well, if you're driving a Model T or a rusty old Austin 7 like oul' Sam there, you might take an hour before you reach 70mph. How does the overcomb hold up at that sort of pace Sam? ;)
    : Hey there Baldy Dub thats very funny :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

So far Sam you have contributed nothing worthwhile to the thread, just pointed out little flaws in peoples posts or joked about their locality.
    Getting fairly annoying and is dragging a good convo into the dirt.

Anyway, I have never driven in the UK but from what I've heard from this thread its pretty pleasurable!
    I have had experiences driving in Espana, no slow drivers, but many drivers who think honking the horn every 5 mins and tailgating right up your ass is normal.

Thanks,
    Adam

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hobochris wrote:
    Actually you are supposed to take a couple of lessons on a motorway after you pass your test, and your also suppost to wait 1 year before you use motorways...I was told this by my tester when i passed my test....
    Yip that's up north. Should be down here too IMHO as well as the speed limits on them etc.

xabi wrote:
    I had reason recently to drive from London up the M4. It was a great pleasure, no overtaking lane hoggers, everyone moved back into the driving lane after and overtaking manoeuvre.

Then, 1 hour into the journey I spotted someone driving in the overtaking lane and thought maybe they have some morons like we have here, nothing in the driving lane and this muppet sitting doing 70 in the overtaking lane with 3 cars behind flashing, etc. He eventually moved into the driving lane so I went to overtake, and low and behold what was his reg – 06-D-XXXX.

Once the 3 cars and myself overtook and moved back to the driving lane, i checked the mirror and Mr Dub moved back into the overtaking lane. AHHH

X.
    Not all english drivers are perfect, I have seen plenty UK reg cars here doing some bad driving: driving out in front of oncomming traffic at juctions, overtaking over unbroken white lines, overtaking comming into a bend etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sam Kade wrote:
    I have seen plenty UK reg cars here doing some bad driving
    Probably Irish drivers dodging VRT!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Yip that's up north. Should be down here too IMHO as well as the speed limits on them etc.
    As i just said there, apperently it is down here, just not done or enforced... The speed limits for the motorway seem fine down here...

What they should do to solve the ignorant driver problem is retest drivers every few years(5 or 10 years), meaning that any older drivers or other drivers mentioned in this thread who are oblivious to the rules of the road or who choose to ignore them must learn them or get off the road!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hobochris wrote:
    What they should do to solve the ignorant driver problem is retest drivers every few years(5 or 10 years),!
    Or maybe even test them once before they are allowed out on their own.

hobochris wrote:
    As i just said there, apperently it is down here, just not done or enforced... The speed limits for the motorway seem fine down here...

What they should do to solve the ignorant driver problem is retest drivers every few years(5 or 10 years), meaning that any older drivers or other drivers mentioned in this thread who are oblivious to the rules of the road or who choose to ignore them must learn them or get off the road!!!
    You better apply for your test Hobochris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Sam Kade = troll.jpg

Please stop feeding him.

UK roads are at time just as congested as anywhere around Dublin. Drivers are however generally much more aware of their surroundings and courteous.

I've lost track of how many times a junction/sliproad/wherever in/around Dublin has been blocked for ages because not one single moron stops to let a car out or the like - people around here just seem hell-bent on dying with their right of way, rather than be civil and help along (and be helped themselves). And yet when you do let people out, never a thanks either :mad: Totally the opposite anywhere I've ever driven in the UK, incl. London, Manchester, Leeds, Scotland etc.

Over here, it does at time (thankfully very rarely) get to the point where I just don't care anymore, exactly as described by Alun above, e.g. I know my car has more dents and scrapes than the eejit next door in his 06 or 07-D Merc trying to ingress in front of me from the wrong lane (having just undertaken 20-odd cars incl. me :mad:), and I just plod on forward blindly and look forward to the sweet sound of crunching metal... never happens, funily enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ambro25 wrote:
    Sam Kade = troll.jpg

Please stop feeding him.

UK roads are at time just as congested as anywhere around Dublin. Drivers are however generally much more aware of their surroundings and courteous.

I've lost track of how many times a junction/sliproad/wherever in/around Dublin has been blocked for ages because not one single moron stops to let a car out or the like - people around here just seem hell-bent on dying with their right of way, rather than be civil and help along (and be helped themselves). And yet when you do let people out, never a thanks either :mad: Totally the opposite anywhere I've ever driven in the UK, incl. London, Manchester, Leeds, Scotland etc.

Over here, it does at time (thankfully very rarely) get to the point where I just don't care anymore, exactly as described by Alun above, e.g. I know my car has more dents and scrapes than the eejit next door in his 06 or 07-D Merc trying to ingress in front of me from the wrong lane (having just undertaken 20-odd cars incl. me :mad:), and I just plod on forward blindly and look forward to the sweet sound of crunching metal... never happens, funily enough :D

Couldn't agree more. Even driving in Spain, it seems a lot friendlier. Though they go nuts if you hold them up.

All Irish drivers should be put off the road give them donkey's and cart's instead. Irish drivers are the worst drivers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

hobochris wrote:
    What they should do to solve the ignorant driver problem is retest drivers every few years(5 or 10 years)

But the government can't even get their act together about getting people through ONE test in a reasonable time. I agree that the idea of testing cars every 2 years but testing drivers once per lifetime (assuming they pass) is ludicrous, drivers cause a hell of a lot more accidents than mechanical faults. But it would take a hell of a lot of investment and organisation to put a system of periodic driver retesting in place, and let's be honest, this government isn't interested in road safety as long as they can make it look like they're doing something about it - 400,000 voters with provisional licences means that real change will be very slow to happen.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sam Kade - stop trolling or else!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement