Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My 07 really a 06?? HELP!

Options
  • 24-01-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭

Hey, My ma recently (last week) got her new? Mazda 3 Sedan 1.6 dCi. However a few things have led us to believe that it could infact be an 06 they tried to flog to us, for this reason my ma is refusing to drive it. Here are a few things;

1. Didnt get a choice of colour when ordering the car (was told there was silver and ice blue left only -preference was dark blue or red)
    2. I asked her to ask about extras they said they arent worth it.
    3. The yellow circular thing (brake disc?) behind the alloys are rusty. (sitting out in irish weather for a year?).
    4. They said the comfort version changed to the touring and vice versa (my ma wanted touring). TBH we dont know what version we have.
    5. They said it has updated headlights and bumpers (quoting him 'a small facelift').

How should i proceed? Any major difference between an 2006 and a 2007 Mazda 3 Sedan 1.6 dCi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ive no idea about the models, but from a service point of view I would have walked away, Your the customer, You tell them what you want and you get that or you dont give them any money.

I understand about wiating times, but with a new car, you should have full control.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

wba88 wrote:
    1. Didnt get a choice of colour when ordering the car (was told there was silver and ice blue left only -preference was dark blue or red)
    3. The yellow circular thing (brake disc?) behind the alloys are rusty. (sitting out in irish weather for a year?).

The majority of '07's are built in '06'. In fact, it's possible for a Dealer to have a car in stock for a year or two, and still make it an '07'. Your points 1, 2 and 3 are not worth pursuing. Colour choice is a personal preference, the Sales person pursuaded you the options weren't worth it, you agreed, and the brake discs on all cars rust if left out in the rain for a night or two, let alone a year. Driving it for 5 minutes will burn off the rust. In fact, 90% of the cars on our forecourt have rusted discs.

Your other points about the spec change are worth investigating, but if you were shown the model, and agreed this is what you want, I'm not sure if you have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I know on the Mazda 6 the Comfort became the touring, the touring became the executive and the sport became the ..... sport.

The options list didn't change AFAIK, just a facelift inside & out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

ned78 wrote:
    Driving it for 5 minutes will burn off the rust.
    She drove it home (about 40mins) and the rust is still there.

She wasnt shown a model they said they will get one in in december and then ring her and book a slot to view, drive etc. and they never rang her.

wba88 wrote:
    She drove it home (about 40mins) and the rust is still there.

Trust me it'll dissapate. They always do. She needs to brake harder! ;)

• Advertisement

Ok lads thanx for the help. Any other advice/comments are welcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

ned78 wrote:
    The majority of '07's are built in '06'. In fact, it's possible for a Dealer to have a car in stock for a year or two, and still make it an '07'. Your points 1, 2 and 3 are not worth pursuing. Colour choice is a personal preference, the Sales person pursuaded you the options weren't worth it, you agreed, and the brake discs on all cars rust if left out in the rain for a night or two, let alone a year. Driving it for 5 minutes will burn off the rust. In fact, 90% of the cars on our forecourt have rusted discs.

Your other points about the spec change are worth investigating, but if you were shown the model, and agreed this is what you want, I'm not sure if you have a leg to stand on.

Can I just pick up on one thing Ned, surely if you're buying a 'new' car from a garage, you can pick any colour the manufacturer makes? I thought that is the attraction of new car buying, getting exactly what you want...and if the dealer hasn't one in stock, he orders one in that colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,786 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I know on the Mazda 6 the Comfort became the touring, the touring became the executive and the sport became the ..... sport.

The options list didn't change AFAIK, just a facelift inside & out
    I'm looking at the Mazda 3 at the moment, and there are a couple of very easy ways to tell a touring from a comfort model (based on their current documents available at Mazda.ie)

The most obvious is the comfort model does not have remote radio controls on the steering wheel, the touring does, and the touring steering wheel is leather.

here is the Mazda 3 brochure - should clear up which model you actually have: https://www.mazda.ie/BuyingAMazda/PostBrochure/Download/Mazda3BrochureList.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I've got a October 92 registered Lancia Dedra, when I worked in a Fiat dealership ,I checkedits build date from its chassis number and discovered the car was built in September 1990. My sister has a 00 Punto which I know had been registered in December 99 but the finance deal fell thru for the original purchaser and the dealer got the car de-registered and sold it in Jan 2000.

Can I just pick up on one thing Ned, surely if you're buying a 'new' car from a garage, you can pick any colour the manufacturer makes? I thought that is the attraction of new car buying, getting exactly what you want...and if the dealer hasn't one in stock, he orders one in that colour?
    Thats what i thought eden, the brochure showed a range of approx 8+ colour choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sorry, but if she didn't get a choice of colour when ordering, why did she go ahead with the order? They are supposed to order whatever you want in for you. If not, go somewhere else. They just wanted rid of their stock, and your mother went along with it.
    Extras - why did she take their word for it?
    You don't know what version you have? You shouldn't have placed the order if you didn't know what you were getting.
    The car will have been made in 06, it should hopefully be a model year 07 - ie, made after they switched the factory to make the model that is to be sold in 2007. But it doesn't have to be.

Tauren wrote:
    I'm looking at the Mazda 3 at the moment, and there are a couple of very easy ways to tell a touring from a comfort model (based on their current documents available at Mazda.ie)

The most obvious is the comfort model does not have remote radio controls on the steering wheel, the touring does, and the touring steering wheel is leather.

here is the Mazda 3 brochure - should clear up which model you actually have: https://www.mazda.ie/BuyingAMazda/PostBrochure/Download/Mazda3BrochureList.htm
    It does have remote contol on wheel, dunno bout leather, ill check later

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ned is right about the rusty discs

Many mainstream cars in Ireland are brought into the country before they are sold to a customer. When someone is buying a car, they can pick the colour, the spec etc. The dealer checks if that particular combination is available from these cars that are usually stored in huge car parks (yes exposed to the elements). If it is, the car can be delivered to the dealer quickly. If someone specifies an unusual combination, the car might have to be manufactured, resulting in a long wait

Pretty much all cars sold and delivered this year to date were manufactured last year

wba88 wrote:
    It does have remote contol on wheel, dunno bout leather, ill check later
    that would be the touring model then.

As for which year you have, i'm not sure what the difference is between in 07 and an 06, apparently its only cosmetic.

Gerry wrote:
    Sorry, but if she didn't get a choice of colour when ordering, why did she go ahead with the order? They are supposed to order whatever you want in for you. If not, go somewhere else. They just wanted rid of their stock, and your mother went along with it.
    Extras - why did she take their word for it?
    You don't know what version you have? You shouldn't have placed the order if you didn't know what you were getting.
    The car will have been made in 06, it should hopefully be a model year 07 - ie, made after they switched the factory to make the model that is to be sold in 2007. But it doesn't have to be.
    This was her first time ordering a new car. She hasnt a clue bout cars, so she can be a push over with sales ppl. She bought it from them because it was the cheapest around (prob for obvious reasons)

Ok so it is a touring then, thanx for clearing that up.

On another point the sales service was crap e.g. "when we give you the car we will talk you through it for approx 2 hours" the sales guy my ma was dealing with was on a day off and the other guy called my ma said it was ready, she arrived at the 3pm (they said it will be ready to go then). Waited an hour. They handed her the car keys, showed her how to turn on the radio and showed her the cup holders, 5mins later, see you later.
    As previously agreed it would have a full tank of diesel and mud flaps. Neither of these were done.
    They also added €100 onto the price of the car between september and november, she noticed queried bout it and they said they will refund it when she comes in next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

wba88 wrote:
    Hey, My ma recently (last week) got her new? Mazda 3 Sedan 1.6 dCi. However a few things have led us to believe that it could infact be an 06 they tried to flog to us, for this reason my ma is refusing to drive it. Here are a few things;

4. They said the comfort version changed to the touring and vice versa (my ma wanted touring). TBH we dont know what version we have.
    5. They said it has updated headlights and bumpers (quoting him 'a small facelift').

How should i proceed? Any major difference between an 2006 and a 2007 Mazda 3 Sedan 1.6 dCi?

The main things here IMO is the Facelift,colour,saloon or estate.

These will effect your re-sell value in the future. If the reg says "07" then you can sell (or trade-in) as a 07. Colour effects price also, in general white cars loose value more than any other colour (sorry to all you white car drivers)
    Also a 07 facelift model will be worth more than a 07 pre-facelift model.

The main thing is find out which model you have and make sure you paid the correct price for it.
    added
    Just read your last post, if they agreed to full tank of diesel, they should stand over it. Go back (with an empty tank) and insist in talking to the owner of the garage and get them to full it up.

Im sorry to say this but your mother should have shoped around before doing the deal so that she knew what other garages where offering

wba88 wrote:
    Ok so it is a touring then, thanx for clearing that up.

On another point the sales service was crap e.g. "when we give you the car we will talk you through it for approx 2 hours" the sales guy my ma was dealing with was on a day off and the other guy called my ma said it was ready, she arrived at the 3pm (they said it will be ready to go then). Waited an hour. They handed her the car keys, showed her how to turn on the radio and showed her the cup holders, 5mins later, see you later.
    As previously agreed it would have a full tank of diesel and mud flaps. Neither of these were done.
    They also added €100 onto the price of the car between september and november, she noticed queried bout it and they said they will refund it when she comes in next
    could you PM me the name of where you bought the car - don't want to go anywhere near this crowd if i do decide to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

wba88 wrote:
    She wasnt shown a model they said they will get one in in december and then ring her and book a slot to view, drive etc. and they never rang her.

then why did she buy it???

having worked in a garage before (not as a salesman!!) an '07 reg car doesn't mean it was built in '07, that's when it was registered... a garage will get x amount of cars in on spec, but these cars cannot be registered until sold. hence why a car in stock in a garage may be there for many months before being sold, but is still classed as a '07 as that's the year it was registered with the motor tax office

hope that helps :)

then why did she buy it???

having worked in a garage before (not as a salesman!!) an '07 reg car doesn't mean it was built in '07, that's when it was registered... a garage will get x amount of cars in on spec, but these cars cannot be registered until sold. hence why a car in stock in a garage may be there for many months before being sold, but is still classed as a '07 as that's the year it was registered with the motor tax office

hope that helps :)
    She already paid a deposit. She is very busy and needs the car for work (the old one was on its last legs)

She did shop around, i said earlier this place was the cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Another difference in the specs is air conditioning. The lower spec won't have it.

I was asking about 3s in my local dealer before Christmas and was told the only differences in the new years models are cosmetic and some new engine choices.
    They have discontinued a bunch of colour options though - there's only a few choices now.

My 3 gets rust on the brakes really easily, and it goes just as easily :)

When mine was handed over it took about 90 seconds - "lights here, indicators here bye!" or words to that effect. I also was promised flaps and a tank of fuel, neither of which appeared. None of this bothered me to be honest, so I didn't push it.

My ma did push the guy and they gave in -at least we got something!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

tbh, she should have checked for mud flaps/full tank of gas, or someone who knew how, to go along with her. The Garage will probably do this without a problem, but it's extra time/hassle without the car.

Absolutely it does. But if you want a car quickly, you buy from the pre-built stock. If you want a colour the Dealer doesn't have in stock from the Brochure, or you want specific options, you order it, and you wait. It can take between 8-20 weeks depending on what brand you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Mazda 3 Comfort is easily different from the Touring model buy the following features:

Comfort - front electric windows, black exterior mirrors and door handles.
    Touring - front and rear electric windows, air conditioning, steering wheel stereo controls, leather steering wheel, colour coded exterior mirrors and door handles.

The Mazda 3 got a slight facelift in Decemeber 2006. The most noticable difference are the rear lights which are now kind of clear with dark tint (similar to the Mazda 6) compared to the normal red/amber rear lights of the pre facelifted model.

The thing the OP needs to find out is if his mother payed the price of a facelifted 07 model but was actually given a pre facelifted 06 model instead. My guess (and only a guess) is that she got one of the last pre facelifted models, that is probably why the price was cheaper than the other dealers. The dealer should have explained this to the customer though.

BTW I have seen dealers buy and stock their new cars as early as November so that they are ready for delivery in January. If demand for a model is high the dealer will buy as many as they can so that they can meet demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ned78 wrote:
    Absolutely it does. But if you want a car quickly, you buy from the pre-built stock. If you want a colour the Dealer doesn't have in stock from the Brochure, or you want specific options, you order it, and you wait. It can take between 8-20 weeks depending on what brand you buy.
    Exactly. All garages need to buy some of the new model in so people can sit in and look at them, how else would they be able to sell one? So they do that, lots of people come, look at it and like it, then order it in their preferred spec and colour. But if you buy the car thats sitting there, usually they give it to ya for less as they bought it to show it, and you're not getting a choice of colour. Basically, if you like the colour thats there you save money by taking that one rather than ordering one in and waiting weeks and paying the premium.
    If she got it for less and got the spec she was told she was getting , then there isn't a thing can be done. Don't worry about it, unless it's missing something major like air con, then just keep it. It won't make a difference in 2 years time when you do a deal over the phone for a 09 one. The garage will just give a price on a 07 trade in.

bazz26 wrote:
    The Mazda 3 Comfort is easily different from the Touring model buy the following features:

Comfort - front electric windows, black exterior mirrors and door handles.
    Touring - front and rear electric windows, air conditioning, steering wheel stereo controls, leather steering wheel, colour coded exterior mirrors and door handles.

The Mazda 3 got a slight facelift in Decemeber 2006. The most noticable difference are the rear lights which are now kind of clear with dark tint (similar to the Mazda 6) compared to the normal red/amber rear lights of the pre facelifted model.

The thing the OP needs to find out is if his mother payed the price of a facelifted 07 model but was actually given a pre facelifted 06 model instead. My guess (and only a guess) is that she got one of the last pre facelifted models, that is probably why the price was cheaper than the other dealers. The dealer should have explained this to the customer though.

BTW I have seen dealers buy and stock their new cars as early as November so that they are ready for delivery in January. If demand for a model is high the dealer will buy as many as they can so that they can meet demand.
    Ok thanx, its defo a touring.

im pretty sure it does have the rear light tint aswell.

Any1 know how much sat nav is as an extra just for arguements sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've only ever bought a new car once and even though the pre-inspection checklist was stamped in the book when I went to collect, I made sure the guy in dealership came out to the car with me and I asked him to stay with me until I checked every button, switch, light. Anything that wasn't working I got fixed there & then.

I would treat it no different to buying a used car apart from the mileage/service history check.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Anything that wasn't working I got fixed there & then.

What wasn't working in a brand new car? :confused:

In fairness I wouldn't even call it rust on brake discs. If you wash a car the discs will turn orange, as soon as you brake it goes. Rust is a bit strong a word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

..............seriously she shouldn't have left without getting all that sorted !

They dont sound like a nice place to deal with !

Anyway, you phone up and check with the receptionist to see if the original guy who made the promises is there, then you drive up, park in their enterance, blocking the place up as much as you can, lock the car and dont budge till he gives you back the €100 ! Then hand him the keys and tell him to fit the mudflaps and mats and fill it up !

Get somone to go with her and bring the spare keys in case they decide to act the bo11ox !

Advertisement