Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithfield Market - Alternative BB/TV/Voice

Options
  • 24-01-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving this week from block A to block B, where I already have the full smart service. Happy enough with it (especially the lack of a download cap on 6mb bb). My new apt is wired but not connect.

1) Are all the horrendous waiting times true that I've been hearing? Circa 1 month

2) Has anyone managed to get to a different provider from within Smithfield Market e.g. NTL, BT, SKy?

Any responses welcome

Dan :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hey Dan - I'm in Block A, like yourself *waves*

We moved in to ours with the apartment wired but not connected. It only took a few days to get set up - no issues with it whatsoever. I assume Block B operates in the same way.

As to other providers... I wouldn't have thought you could get any other fixed-line provider. Smart bought up the complex IIRC and own the whole wiring system. You could though go through a wireless provider as that's outside their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭danindublin

Hey neighbour,

I really want to stay with smart cause i actually really do think its a good service. The apt I live in now was already connected but the apt in block b is brand new(ish) and no-one has ever got it activated. Heard from friends living in the tower that they applied before xmas and still nada! Just wondering if they are winding down staff numbers or anything?!

D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi guys can I butt in and ask an off topic question?

THe Smart service you have is it delivered over a normal telephone line (and therefore LLU) or is it delivered over fibre and you also get TV via the service?

If it is the latter (fibre), can you tell me what download speeds and pings you get with it and how much it costs?

Thanks.

:confused: Im clueless on all things networking, programmer by nature! :D

The speeds are top notch, i get 350k+ on bit torrent, over a meg on standard http or ftp, seems to be about a 6mb line. Voice package is cheap and tv has 100+ channels.

All and all comes to about €80 a month with vat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the info danindublin. The reason I ask is I'm moving into an apartment soon which will have Smart and I thought that the fibre optic service only went up to 2m.

BTW with the phone service, do you get free calls?

Do you know how much it would cost if you don't want to take the phone service?

• Advertisement

Free smart to smart calls and all other calls are cheaper than eircom, usually costs about 60c for an hour long national call in the evenings. :D

Advertisement