Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat doing very strange things....

Options
  • 24-01-2007 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

This is going to sound ridiculous but my cat (Crucifier) has been doing some very odd things lately. An example would be last night, he came into the kitchen and stared at me for a good minute or so, then rolled onto his side, started moaning and turning himself over and back onto each side. I went to pick him up but he screeched and tried to claw me. Then he started again.

This continued on for about 20 minutes at which stage he came to rest on his side and fell asleep. He has done this at least 6 times in the last week and it scares the sh1t out of me when he starts.

Any ideas what could be wrong with him??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

is he neutered? could be in heat?

if he is neutered then it sounds like he picked up an injury of some sort if he screeched when you tryed to pick him up.

My cat does that roll thing when she wants affection or is feeling a little nuts and she has scraped and bit the hand off me from that position before:p .

If youre really worried and it keeps happening bring him to the Blue Cross for a check up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yeah he's neutered but as far as I know he doesn't have an injury of any sort. He walks around fine and seems to be okay in every aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Just talked to a friend about this :)

She reckons Tom Cats are never fully neutered and retain some of their instinctive urges so it could be that or he's just looking for a row with you!

If it still freaks you out or gets worse i'd bring him to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I don't think it is anything to worry about, my cat does the same thing all the time. I think it means they are very comfortable around you to be showing off their stomach when rolling around. It is amusing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

It's not epilepsia by any chance?

I'll see if I can find some more info....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its quite hard to describe unless you see it. What worries me the most is that he falls straight asleep after this happens. Hes coming up to his 5th year now so he's getting old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

he's just very relaxed in your company imho...i wouldn't worry... cats live till around 14 -15.. so he's fine

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Five yrs is'nt at all old for a cat....

Sounds like he's looking for a fuss to be made over him, try playing with a ball or bit of string see how he reacts.......

But, if you're not sure or are unhappy with his behaviour bring him to the vet and have him checked out, at least it will ease your concern, if you confirm that nothing is physically wrong with him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

DarkJager wrote:
    Its quite hard to describe unless you see it. What worries me the most is that he falls straight asleep after this happens. Hes coming up to his 5th year now so he's getting old...
    Five isn't at all old for a cat!

It's not going to be an age-related thing, you don't need to worry about that. Everybody else has already given as much of an answer to this as I could so I won't mention anything else, I just wanted to point that bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

artieanna wrote:
    Sounds like he's looking for a fuss to be made over him, try playing with a ball or bit of string see how he reacts.......
    I'd try that. My cat just freaks out sometimes, and she's about 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp ...I'd also say that this rolling around equals "play with me" mode.

Problem is, it's "play with me according to cat rules" mode ...which involves generous application of claws, weird sound emissions and the odd bite thrown in for good measure :D

So either get yourself a good thick leather glove and play "cat rules" or get a ball or something on a stick that keeps your hands well out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

DarkJager wrote:
    Hi guys,

This is going to sound ridiculous but my cat (Crucifier) has been doing some very odd things lately. An example would be last night, he came into the kitchen and stared at me for a good minute or so, then rolled onto his side, started moaning and turning himself over and back onto each side. I went to pick him up but he screeched and tried to claw me. Then he started again.

This continued on for about 20 minutes at which stage he came to rest on his side and fell asleep. He has done this at least 6 times in the last week and it scares the sh1t out of me when he starts.

Any ideas what could be wrong with him??

Yes, the problem is clear.

It's a cat, an evil creature, get a real pet, a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

She could have a cold?:)

Advertisement