Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting goole to index my multi language site

Options
  • 24-01-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im doing a multi language site and was going to have the language set by the user when they arrive at the site with a php session variable. How can i get google to index all language versions of the site? I was thinking of adding a sitemap that will link to all the different languages but i dont know if this is the best way of going about it as each site would then be just on a sub domain of the main english site which wouldnt be great for seo.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

am not sure exactly the set up of your site but if you have it something like

www.blah.com/index.php?Language=French

then Google will find it hard to index that.

A better option would be to setup subdomains for the languages e.g.

french.blah.com

and have links on the homepage and sitemap. Providing all the content is translated google wont see it as duplicate content and shouldnt find a problem with indexing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

am not sure exactly the set up of your site but if you have it something like

www.blah.com/index.php?Language=French

then Google will find it hard to index that.
    Not sure why Google couldn't index that?
    A better option would be to setup subdomains for the languages e.g.

french.blah.com

and have links on the homepage and sitemap. Providing all the content is translated google wont see it as duplicate content and shouldnt find a problem with indexing it.
    Agree with the above though :)

Advertisement