Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with wireless access

• 24-01-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I'm usually quite capable of fixing most computer problems but I just always seem to have problems with wireless. So buying a new wireless router/modem yesterday was never going to go well...

Ok...here we go...

I bought a Netgear router a couple of months back on Ebay. Big mistake as it didn't work from day one. Even placing wireless laptop beside the router, it had something like 40% signal and if moved about 2 feet away dropped. Tried it in various friends houses and same problems so that was binned and my wireless adventure ended.

Yesterday, I tried again. I bought a Netgear DG834PN in Argos to try it under their 30 day money back offer. It's the RangeMax version for ADSL and ADSL 2.0. I have a 3MB BT Broadband connection. So hooked it all up and problems first when I attached the phone line. It didn't pick up the connection for ages. Then eventually after about 20mins it did. Now my computer is in the study...a converted garage surrounded by concrete external walls. So wireless was fine in the study with my laptop. When I moved it into the main house...dropped and dropped until no connection in my living room which is literally 10metres away but through about 4 walls. So I though I'd connect it to the main phone point in the hall (a wire goes through the wall connecting the phone point to the computer in the study). Now when I connected it there...no connection again to broadband and light didn't turn on...left it for an hour and nothing. As soon as I reconnected my standard BT Zyxel modem, it got the connection straight away.

So can anyone advice the best modem/router for my circumstances. I want to be able to use the laptop upstairs and in the living room. Was the problem because my wireless card was standard Netgear G and it needed to be RangeMax or what? Why did the router/modem not pick up the net connection?

Basically, I want to setup a system with a modem/router that I can connect my main PC to, as well as a print server (can be part of the router/modem or not) and an external hard-drve (can be connected to the router/modem or not) and my VOIP ATA box. Then I can just bring my laptop around the house and have a net connection.

Any and all advice much appreciated.

God...I love and hate wireless all at the same time ;)

Seamus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you sure your Broadband settings are the same across the Zyxel and the NetGear?

Is the NetGear router expecting an ADSL 2.0 line instead of ADSL? Are there 2.0-specific settings in the Admin interface (Don't know much about ADSL2.0).

Are you sure you phone-wiring within the house is up to spec? Can you try a friend's wireless router that you know to work perfectly well?

Advertisement