Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options for teenagers leaving school before Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 24-01-2007 1:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Any opinions on what sort of options would face a teenager leaving secondary school after the junior cert?
    Does anyone know if there are apprenticeships available, and if so is a junior cert enough to get in?
    I'm thinking of things like electrician, plumber and other trades.
    What about the army, do you need the leaving cert for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

These days you need a leaving cert to be considered for an appranticeship esp with the block release in colleges for the qualifcations.

If it is a case of the school enviroment not fitting maybe there could be a change made there so that the lc can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

As far as I know you don't need your leaving cert for the army but you do need to be 17 and pass medical, fitness etc. The army run apprenticeships for trades but I believe you do need your leaving cert for those.

As Thaedydal said, you need a leaving cert for pretty much anything these days. I'd look into the Leaving Cert Vocational Program or the Leaving Cert Applied Program. The LCAP is really geared to getting people to stay in school. The focus isn't on exams but on participating and learning and there is a lot of project work, which contributes to marks. They even give points for good attendance at school. Also, for the last 8 years or so it has been accepted for entry to third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Qualifications for Air Corps apprenticeships:

2. MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
    At the time of application, a candidate must have obtained specific minimum grades in ordinary or higher level in at least 5 subjects in one sitting of the Junior Certificate. The 5 subjects (and specific minimum grades) must include the following:

Irish and/or English Grade C (Ordinary)
    Maths or Grade D (Higher)

Two of:
    Metalwork
    Materials Technology
    Science Grade C (Ordinary Level) or Grade D (Higher Level)
    Technical Graphics
    Technology

See here

I left school at 17 with no LC and did an Air Corps apprenticeship. That was a long time ago, and now the competition for places is much lower but the candidates usually have the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Would the teenager consider doing transition year? That would give hm/her an extra year to make their mind up and the work experience would help decide if they'd be happy in those jobs or would like to go to college and do something else. Could you arrange for a bit of work experience this summer with a couple of different trades people? Maybe a while at the coal-face with the people doing the job will focus his/her mind on what they'd like to do and what they need to do to get there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks to all for your replies. I think he's been convinced for the moment to at least do transition year, and then see how he feels. (probably more his girlfriends doing than ours!) I had a good look through the defence forces website, and it seems like a good option and something he also has some interest in. Hopefully he'll stick it out another while and increase the options available to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement