Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free(?) Software Updates on New Hardware and Gadgets

Options
  • 24-01-2007 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody any ideas about this re consumer rights etc?

Perhaps I'm expecting too much customer care. In the past, on every single occasion that I have bought something, either a program or a gadget with a piece of software, any updates that were released soon before or after the purchase date, were always FOC. There has always been a time limit, understandably. For example, once I paid for some Cyberlink software. An upgrade came out three weeks later and I didn't have to pay for it. They operated a 60 day window for free upgrades.

At the beginning of January I bought a new TomTom GO910 from a UK supplier on Ebay. I soon found out that the Irish maps were pathetic, to say the least.

I discovered that a new and improved version had been released a month before I got my gadget. Using the pattern of all of my previous software upgrade dealings, I asked TomTom for the link to the free upgrade.

After two weeks of fighting with their customer support, the result so far is that, as a gesture of "Goodwill", they will give me 25% discount off the price of the upgrade. This means that, for all of the maps to be upgraded, I will have to pay TomTom about €130!

I've never encountered such s*** as this before from any company. From what I've found, searching the net, their upgrade policy makes them the most hated GPS providers on the planet.

Are these people the exception or has my luck just run out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They seem to be the exception. It sounds like a huge amount of Garmin custoers got he latest update free of charge, in fact they got the whole of Europe free of charge when previously they only had UK and Ireland mapping on their units.
    The release date for their latest software was September even though it wasn't available until December/January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

From what I know, the Irish Ordinance Survey charge very large amounts for digital maps for Ireland. The price is much higher than similar maps anywhere else in Europe.

This might explain why other maps/upgrades are provided free (or at a greatly reduced price) while Irish maps are more expensive.

Advertisement